Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/8/08 6:44 p.m.

So the bug(1970) is in shop for a new floor!! but the down side of all of this is the loaner "car" is 99'chev silverado 1500. The thing is a turd on gas. I drive this truck like an old lady but it still go's thrue more gas then my bug and I have been told that I am an "agressive driver". Back on topicI had everything set up so when I went on vacation the bug would be in the shop for the week. I gave them two weeks notice befor I drop'd it off and they said it would done when I got back. Well its been three weeks now and the truck is really nice(its the shop owners) but it really sucks down the gas. When should I start to get mad? I really miss my bug...

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/8/08 9:53 p.m.

Well, the good news is that this is a great time to haul some mulch, gravel, plywood, drywall, etc. that you have been needing for home projects. ;) I guess when you should get mad depends on their progress. Are they working on it at all? Is it almost done or still a long way from complete? Have you mentioned to them you're spending a bunch more on fuel than you were planning?

It seems to me that just having a loaner is a huge courtesy, I've never heard of any shops that do stuff like VW floor pans offering a loaner. Obviously you don't have another car to drive...or you'd drive it and not worry about the fuel economy of the truck...so the fact that they gave you another ride is pretty generous IMO.

Bryce

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/9/08 10:00 a.m.

Way back in the mid '70s, I "gave" my TR 3 to a reputable body shop so they could strip the old paint and re-paint it BRG. I was given a loaner (even tho I didn't ask for or expect one) of a '70 Ford Country Squire with the big block engine. Luckily, the country was between the 1st and 2nd "gas crisis" so gas for this pig wasn't too bad. Aside from sucking down regular like a sailor on shore leave, trying to drive this car responsibly was nearly impossible. The first 1/8 of an inch of throttle barely got the car moving and pushing any further on the gas was likely to send you screaming down the road at 85 mph. Long story short....like EVERY body shop, they took longer than expected. BEWARE of the body shop that says "we need a week" but calls after 2 or 3 days for you to come and pick up your car. At least you have a form of "leverage" when you have their vehicle.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/9/08 7:36 p.m.

Its mainly the mpg's I miss. The truck is really nice thoe, if I live'd in a house I would do truck things with it. Living in a aprment I have no need for the truck. I told shop owner I just needed something for the weekend. Job's spouse,baby-sister all of that can be tiering for one car. I do like the ac but not the at. hopefully the bug will be done this week(this will be week 4). BTW in high school I had a friend that did the heating channles and the rest of floor in a week with only working on it a couple of hours each day by him self.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/10/08 3:56 a.m.

Some body shops are like some guys that do home remodeling....they line up scads of jobs and work on each one until they get tired/sick of it....instead of working on each job "straight thro, start to finish" before moving on to the next one.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
8/10/08 12:11 p.m.

I liked the loaner that I got when I took my brothers G20 in for warranty work a couple of weeks ago.
it was an 08 G35x
Did I mention the g20 was a 92
though the car did suck down gas in a nasty way, it was fun to drive and play with the toys.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/10/08 2:06 p.m.

I used to own a '92 G20....what kind of warranty work do you get done on a 17 year old car?

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/10/08 6:48 p.m.

this is ten years old its fun but it dose drink alot (compaerd to the bug)

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/11/08 12:13 a.m.

at this point, would it be cheaper to return the truck and rent a compact?

Duke
Duke Dork
8/11/08 7:08 a.m.
Volksroddin wrote: I told shop owner I just needed something for the weekend.

If you "only need it for the weekends", how much gas can it suck down?

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
8/11/08 1:26 p.m.

Rule of Life #847: Body shops always take at least twice as long as they say.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/08 1:41 p.m.

What Billy said then double it twice.

nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
8/11/08 3:59 p.m.

swing by the shop with some soap #'s on the side window... then tell the shop owner how great the pickup gets out of the hole and up to 60 in low range at the track. if he isn't done by the following weekend, stop by again and tell him you won the burnout contest...

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/11/08 4:50 p.m.
John Brown wrote: What Billy said then double it twice.

and that by 2 we are going on week 4! I stop by the shop today and so far they have the carpet, seats and the runing off. From what I know the shop owner miss'es his truck, wich is fine becouse I miss my bug.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bj76NhLqENQV8YHyRneyk9UwQoUKOKUGSV2HZe8jwUJBac6uqCvCgWnuW7vN12Z3