vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/23 10:42 p.m.

So the local model building club I hang with does what's called a Turkey Shoot over the Thanksgiving weekend. You have to start and complete a new model Thursday 12:00 AM to Sunday Midnight. I didn't finish in time (decals were the only thing left to do). Haven't done an airplane in decades. But I wanted to build this because I grew up on LI and have an appreciation for Grumman aircraft since many of my family members worked for Grumman. So here's my Grumman Hellcat. It's not perfect and a WW2 airplane enthusiast would note the discrepancies, but I don't care. I wanted to build a representative example, not a specific plane. Something a lay person would accept as close enough.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/23 11:06 p.m.

Looks great!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/23 12:15 a.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

... a Turkey Shoot ... here's my Grumman Hellcat.

Of course. Of course you built a Hellcat for a turkey shoot. What else?

Nice work, sir.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/23 1:24 a.m.

That's great!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/23 3:29 p.m.

Cool.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/29/23 4:24 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

... a Turkey Shoot ... here's my Grumman Hellcat.

Of course. Of course you built a Hellcat for a turkey shoot. What else?

Nice work, sir.

Well... you could build a Zero, or maybe a poorly maintained Val. cheeky

I always kind of liked it when people would build models of planes (and other things) that didn't look like new, more worn in. Mostly done for dioramas. That of course can greatly increases the difficulty level.  You can get a lot of effect out of simply doing some wet and dry brushing (highlight seam lines, add discoloration)

This is a great example:

This one is really interesting with a lot of interesting details (notice how the elevons are in the full up positions)

BenB
BenB HalfDork
11/29/23 6:42 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Nice looking Hellcat!

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/23 7:00 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Very nice plane!  And built in a long weekend!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/30/23 8:27 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I'm not a weathering modeler. I don't have the patience for the detail. And I'm lazy. I am awed by some of the stuff that's done with simple techniques. If I do weather anything it will be one of the car models I do since I know that subject best. I consider most of my builds the shiny new version that hasn't been used yet. This build was more an impression of a plane than any actual one.

Thanks for all the kind words. Been a while since I built anything of note. So its good to know I can still do it. Maybe I should finish the 1/20 scale corvette I started two years ago???

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yuXyOyonrSM7vwnFd1AdT6nffLmZ4xTyVUkUWCjorH7kJVaIoySovLIInPr0QFzm