Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/23 7:41 a.m.

Full disclosure: I found this video on the company's website when I was buying yet another Leatherman tool to tuck safely away in yet another glove box, this time for my daughter's car.

Yesterday, she called me in a panic from several states away, while sitting in the driver's seat of her car. She had a problem, and I knew I could talk her through it, if only there was a Leatherman tool nearby. Fortunately, she was in her driveway and we managed to resolve the issue with several other tools that were found in the tool kit up in the house, but I realized immediately, that there should have been a Leatherman in that car.

Lesson learned. Order placed.

Made of Mettle: The Leatherman Documentary

I thought the video was pretty cool.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster HalfDork
6/16/23 8:38 a.m.

I enjoyed that for the history of them. Also would have thought the concept was older than it is. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/16/23 2:26 p.m.

I bought an OG unused leatherman still new in the box, first generation, for 5 bucks at a swap meet.  It was in with a bunch of other old crappy knockoff ones.  

I keep it in its sheath in the glovebox of my truck.  Haven't needed it yet but I know its there if I do.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/16/23 2:46 p.m.
GhiaMonster said:

I enjoyed that for the history of them. Also would have thought the concept was older than it is. 

Concept is older, but Leatherman was the first to execute it and market it well, with the obvious exception of Wenger and Victorinox Swiss Army Knives. But the big thing about the Leatherman was the butterfly style. It let you have real pliers and have it fit your pocket at the same time. 

The Barnett plier-knife was patented over 125 years ago: 

The CP Knife Wrench is nearly as old: 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/16/23 2:47 p.m.

Also... I'm a huge fan of multitools. It is very rare that I don't have a Leatherman of some variety within arms reach. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/16/23 2:54 p.m.

Huh.  Clicked the link, was disappointed it was a 16 minute video.  I'd have preferred an article.  With an article, I can skim and make a judgemnt as to my interest level.  With a video, I have to wait for the information to be doled out.  More than likely, 16 minutes later, I'm regretting the time wasted. 

I'll just go back to reading my newspaper.  Carry on!

I do like the Leatherman product, and I've owned a few, just don't want to commit to watching a movie about them.  laugh

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/23 9:46 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Sorry to disappoint you. 

Here:

https://www.leatherman.com/leatherman-story.html

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/23 11:11 p.m.

Here is mine. My Cayman's driver seat has a depression from it as does the R. It was a gift from a project at work and they engraved my name in it, given for doing some job well. 
It has been very deep under water, travelled half way around the world, has countless miles of travel on it.

it is on its fourth case and resides there with a flashlight, a 3" Starett scale, and usually a small Zebra pen (need to buy another).

I feel naked without it and only give it up and into checked luggage when I fly.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/17/23 7:36 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Please don't take it personally! laugh

And thanks for the link.  I would have preferred straight text though.  Too many pictures!  cheeky

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/17/23 7:59 a.m.

I am never without one. I left for SOGs for a while, but am now happily back home with the Bond. Good tool.

The video made me tear up.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/17/23 8:08 a.m.

Soldiers are issued Leatherman.  Breech loaders have an Obturation Pad  that seals the door closed against all that energy trying to escape, pads wear out.  I was tasked with coming up with a method of inspecting the pads in the field for excessive degeneration.  Leatherman to the rescue!  Failure starts at specific spots, so poke the tip of the plier tool into a hole and note how far it goes in.  Using junk laying around for comparison, X & Y distance is OK, Z is too much.

Bottom photo, wording @ 12:00.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/23 8:32 a.m.

Cool video. Well worth the minutes.

I'm a Gerber Diesel fan myself and always have one close by.

The Leatherman Free looks pretty darn good. I might have to give it a try. 

Thanks.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/23 4:07 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Sailors call them Dig its now. Unknown reason.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/17/23 10:17 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Sailors call them Dig its now. Unknown reason.

Geez man.  I can explain this as a former sailor.  Every hood sailor Carrie's a leather man.  Really good sailors love the Navy....  they "dig it."  It's a nice way of calling them suck ups.  Hence a leather man is a "dig it tool."  I guess the "tool" has been dropped in modern parlance.  The "dig it" is the person the "dig it tool" is a leatherman.  

johndej
johndej SuperDork
6/17/23 10:32 p.m.

For kids!

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
8/12/23 11:40 a.m.
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/12/23 12:40 p.m.

The tool went from good to great when they FINALLY made the blade and tools locking. I closed that razor sharp blade on my fingers more than once with the old style.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/23 12:57 p.m.
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) said:

The tool went from good to great when they FINALLY made the blade and tools locking. I closed that razor sharp blade on my fingers more than once with the old style.

After having a whole selection of crappy multitools, I was gifted an actual Leatherman when I was about 22.

I was going to a TSD rally with a friend (I am a much better driver than navigator) and went to open it up to show him.  The blade was stiff, I opened it one handed as I usually did, with the side of my index fingers knuckle levering against the blade.

Leathermans are not dull POSes like what I had been used to.

Fortunately, he kept electrical tape in the car.

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
8/12/23 2:55 p.m.

Electrical tape is a great alternative if bandaids or bandages are not available. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/23 4:28 p.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

Bandaids and bandages are a poor expedient if electrical tape is not available smiley

Tape serves as wound cover and tourniquet, and is waterproof.  Or at least, you can wash your hands without it falling off.  

A lot of my "see THIS scar?" fingers involved wrapping with tape and ignoring it for a couple weeks.  The Leatherman cut healed, but I still have the scar on the opposite index finger from when it got stuck between a tire and a Mercury Sable rear fender lip, in 1999 laugh

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/23 5:07 p.m.

Tape is great. I got a compound fracture on my right ring finger in 2020. pulled it straight and put a folded paper towel and duct tape on it and went about my business. Took about 18 months to heal enough not to be tender. Probably should have went to the doctor but it's all good.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fAMzn4a2W5tJyr2nIikGBG60Svyf0eyInzNmFaLKFDAFD4S0TvLqKzfHdwZUqj0D