1 2
RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/31/24 3:09 p.m.

So from Tuesday to Friday I have class in West Chester Ohio.  Is there anything worth seeing in Cincinnati? It's going to be 30 degrees, is it possible for me to survive in those conditions? Help me get out of the hotel so I don't just sit there all pissed off for a week because I'm in Ohio. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/31/24 3:13 p.m.

Skyline chili!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/24 3:18 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

Skyline chili!

That's a good reason to avoid the outside world laugh

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
3/31/24 3:21 p.m.

Jungle Jim's.

You're welcome.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/24 3:54 p.m.

Wright Patterson Air Force Museum.  30 minutes north.  Free admission. Takes DAYS to see the whole thing.  

https://g.co/kgs/bYBSnJn

Sadly, the hours seem to only be 9-5 every day of the week. 

Are you in class from 9-5?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/24 4:00 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

You might also find this info helpful...when you land at the Cincinnati (Ohio ) Airport you are in fact not in Ohio but rather you are in Kentucky.  

Downtown Cincinnati sits on the Ohio River and one side of the river is Ohio and the other side is Kentucky therefore, Metro Cincinnati (Ohio) is about half Kentucky. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
3/31/24 4:05 p.m.

If you like blues or jazz, there's Schwartz's Point downtown.

Skyline is a great local chain, but Blue Ash Chili is a better take in the concept, in my opinion. 

Like ice cream?  Go to Greaters.  Also UDF is good.

If you need parts for an older Ford, you can probably pick it up at Green Sales.

Assuming they're playing at home, you can catch a Reds game.  Great American Ballpark is a pretty nice place to watch them sportsball.

I don't get up towards West Chester that much these days to remember what's up there.  You're not too far from the National Air Force Museum, but I'm guessing your days are spoken for.  The aquarium in Newport and the Zoo downtown are both worth visiting, but they also aren't open late.

If you're a fan of Rainman and/or Italian food, Pompellios in Newport is a good destination.  The scene with the toothpick counting was filmed there and the food and Bocce court are both good.

If you like beer, there are a bunch of breweries in town.  The Humble Monk in Northside is one of my favorites, but Urban Artifact, Rheingeist, Madtree, and Braxton are worth visiting among others.  If you're into whisky, New Riff distilling makes a good product and I think they do tours in the evening.  While you're that way, The Party Source in Newport has an unbelievable selection of everything.  You won't get anything on allocation of course, but they've got pretty much everything.

I'd offer to join you for a beverage, but I'm going to be making a mad dash to get the challenge car finished and loaded up.

wae
wae UltimaDork
3/31/24 4:06 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

And on top of that, the airport is in Boone County, but owned and operated by Kenton County.  It really has no idea where it is or where it belongs.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/24 4:10 p.m.

Local fare: Goetta.  You might find it on the local breakfast menu.  Try it, it won't hurt you.  

Years ago I was taken to a bruch-place on the Newport, KY side that did it well but the name escapes me.  

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
3/31/24 4:17 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Local fare: Goetta.  You might find it on the local breakfast menu.  Try it, it won't hurt you.  

Years ago I was taken to a bruch-place on the Newport, KY side that did it well but the name escapes me.  

Looks like scrapple.  I'm in

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/24 4:20 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Yes, scrapple with oats not corn.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/24 4:28 p.m.

Overview: West Chester Township, a north suburb of Cincinnati is an affluent area. Popular with business travel and business style hotels.  Many dining options in the immediate area catering to these business travelers. 

I used to stay in that area/exit when I covered that region for work.  I was going to recommend a restaurant, Cameron Mitchell's Seafood but I see it didn't survive COVID.. permanently closed.  

It's been years but I see another favorite in that area is open.  Pronounced Papa-dough.

https://pappadeaux.com/location/42

The French is actually Creole/Cajun.  This is part of the Houston based Pappas chain who also have the popular Pappacitos Tex Mex chain in Texas and elsewhere.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/31/24 5:22 p.m.

Airport tip:

I am assuming you are flying into the Cincinnati Airport which is about 35 minutes south/west of West Chester Twp.  However, the Dayton, Ohio airport is about 45 minutes north of West Chester Twp, ergo, if you have flight issues like a cancelation consider checking flights in/out of Dayton as well.  

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/31/24 7:36 p.m.
Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/31/24 7:52 p.m.

Pompellios in Newport. It's where the restaurant scene in Rainman was filmed. Food is good too. Hofbrauhaus too for the German gluttony.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
3/31/24 11:56 p.m.

The Cincinnati Fine Art museum is really good and worth spending an afternoon wandering through.

Also, you'll notice artistically painted pigs all over the place.   Apparently that was a thing a few years ago and they're kind of cool.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/1/24 3:12 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Porkopolis

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/1/24 7:48 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

The Cincinnati Fine Art museum is really good and worth spending an afternoon wandering through.

Also, you'll notice artistically painted pigs all over the place.   Apparently that was a thing a few years ago and they're kind of cool.

I second this. If art's your thing, Cincinnati has a surprisingly good collection of art across a few museums.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/1/24 8:32 a.m.

From Cincinnati, work in West Chester, live in Dayton, so I will try to add anything not already here.  (Currently sitting in W Chester at the moment.)

In West Chester, if you're at all into trains there's EnterTrainment just off the Tylersville exit on I-75.

The Hall of Justice, I mean Union Terminal, in Cincy.  Has a museum in it currently, worth a trip.

I mean Skyline is a given, local fare also includes LaRosa's pizza, White Castle, Graeter's ice cream, Goetta.

As mentioned the Air Force Museum up I-75 is free and you can kill 4-5 hours and not see everything, it's that massive.

See if I think of anything else later.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/3/24 8:23 a.m.

It's freezing out, we flew in during two tornados....and no Alfa Romeo in sight. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/3/24 9:07 a.m.
RonnieFnD said:

It's freezing out, we flew in during two tornados....and no Alfa Romeo in sight. 

Are they still in sharonville on kemper?

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/24 10:38 a.m.
Jerry said:

In West Chester, if you're at all into trains there's EnterTrainment just off the Tylersville exit on I-75.

Oh man, I'm happy to hear that place has survived all of these years.  Amazing model train display depicting railroad history through time.  It will make your inner child very happy.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
4/3/24 10:55 a.m.

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

SWMBO had some sort of work outting there a couple years ago, she said she thinks they recently added to it.  Working here 25 years I still haven't been inside yet.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD HalfDork
4/3/24 12:04 p.m.
Ranger50 said:
RonnieFnD said:

Are they still in sharonville on kemper?

In West chester on beckett rd.

I did find the best lunch day one

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
4/3/24 12:12 p.m.

if you ever need a reason to spend less time in a hotel room, simply bring a blacklight /w you. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HXPjkEo9kvLW3eSHlCpbaZVuJr31vxZRT86UGkjjqdcqixKiT3a1tcPbnkE0pCZS