1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 31
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 10:45 a.m.

Limit should be set to higher than market price.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/14 10:49 a.m.

Huh so then what's the difference between Limit and Stop?

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/7/14 10:52 a.m.

Everything I own is down. Excuse me while I jump out of this window.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/7/14 10:56 a.m.

Well, FML

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/7/14 11:12 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: In theory, but I just got hosed on that and it automatically sold it for the limit I placed on it while the market price was 40 cents higher.....

That's what it is supposed to do.

You set the limit.

There is a 20 minute delay on the game.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/7/14 11:16 a.m.

So what's going? Why the highs on Friday and then such crap this week?

I've got YPF and GEOS, both are really below their averages. GEOS looks like it might be in the tank for awhile (consistently falling).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 11:39 a.m.

Thursday/friday was higher the week before we started as well. I'm guessing this is all fairly normal.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/7/14 11:42 a.m.

So can someone please clarify the difference between "Stop" and "Limit"? Which one works for shorts?

I don't know what happened between yesterday and today, but I got gut-punched when I logged in. EVERYTHING bar two stocks is down. One of the two that is up? Sears, the one I'm shorting. It's up 4% WTFBBQ, articles just came out how they were going to eat it, then their stock jumps. And how the hell does GM's stock drop just because Morgan Stanley proclaims they think that the unannounced quarterlies might not be as good as everyone expects?

Seems like lots of money is there to be made just by getting famous and throwing out opinions to manipulate the prices.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
10/7/14 12:05 p.m.

I want to get out of something but the site isn't giving me an option to sell. WTF? I can only buy more or sell short.

The "SELL" button isn't even there.

GameboyRMH
10/7/14 12:07 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: I want to get out of something but the site isn't giving me an option to sell. WTF? I can only buy more or sell short.

Did you click "TRADE" next to the stock listed in your portfolio? (Not in Trading view).

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/7/14 12:14 p.m.

Let me try...

"Stop" restricts top end, on both purchases and short sales. A stop is a sell order, so on sales it stops growth, and on shorts it stops losses.

"Limit" is the opposite- it restricts bottom end. So, on a sale, it limits your losses, and on a short it restricts your gains.

Did I get that right? (Terribly worded, I know)

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
10/7/14 12:31 p.m.

A "Stop" is when you enter a price, and the order (sell or buy) is filled at market price when your entered price is hit. In other words, the price you enter is a trigger for a buy or sale to happen, but you might not buy or sell at the price you want because the order is filled at market price after your trigger price is hit.

A "Limit" order is when you enter a price to either buy or sell, and the limit option prevents the order from being filled at a greater price (buy) or a lesser price (sell) than the price you enter.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
10/7/14 1:00 p.m.

Had to sell a loser and lock in $8k of bad.

GameboyRMH
10/7/14 2:34 p.m.

I'm almost ready to kick off another concrete shoe, it would cost me a bit over a Challenge budget at the moment. Or perhaps in more fitting terms, about half an axle set of supercar brake pads

Edit: Did it, phew! Gonna put that money into more of the steady earners.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 3:01 p.m.

I've done a great job of losing my gains.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/7/14 3:27 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Huh.....the 20min delay seems to be great knowledge to possess. The odd thing though, the stock never reached the "limit" I had set.....the stock vanished, it gave me back money/awful loss, and doesn't appear on any tab in the portfolio part.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 3:44 p.m.

The site was all kinds of broken today. I bought a bunch of stock that didn't go through, so i did it again about a half hour later. Didn't go through.

Did it one more time, and all of a sudden i was rewarded with all three purchases.

I'm sitting on berkeleying 315k shares of Aeropostale. Seriously. 315k berkeleying shares.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/7/14 4:46 p.m.

Hmm... Totals show only 2 people in positive territory today, and they both have my last name!

But I don't think it is that simple...

Swankie started today $23k in the hole, and ended positive $11k (passing through positive $80k), but shows a net loss today of negative 6.56%.

How does that work??

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/14 5:14 p.m.

I didn't actually start today $23k in the hole.

The timing/delay of everything really screws with things if you let it.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/8/14 11:55 a.m.

A couple of minute upticks in a few of mine on the day, but overall, EVERYTHING is in the red (had about 4 or 5 green yesterday)... except Sears! Finally. Well, that sounds harsh since I kind of like Sears, but their stock dropping is helping my short plans.

And just to make sure I have this straight: the only difference between "stop" and "limit" is that stop does it at market price whenever the trigger is hit (i.e. market price could shift in the lag from trigger to sale) whereas limit only lets the transaction go through as long as the price trigger remains tripped?

Example, a stock is at $55 and I set a limit of $58, as long as stock stays above $58 for the time the transaction takes, it will sell, right? For a short, if stock is at $25 and I set limit of $23, it will cover as long as the price stays below $23?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/8/14 12:01 p.m.

I'm pretty sure i'm in dead last again.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/8/14 12:21 p.m.

Your MarketWatch name should be "Leapfrog"

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/8/14 1:26 p.m.

Hey now, the old dirty bastard is giving him a run for his money at DFL.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/8/14 1:41 p.m.

I'll find some sketchy way to rebound back to first for at least 6 hours next week.

GameboyRMH
10/8/14 1:54 p.m.

Apple stock is high-maintenance, you have to babysit it when the stupid hype machine rears its ugly head.

I can profit from it but I'm not sure I want to have something so vigilance-intensive in my portfolio.

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dn003XjjpocxYHB4FEBxN3JuJpM5eimTFBPJTSyS93gctYxhYpDl93KiMcoaECeD