DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/18/15 4:57 p.m.

Apparently so. Nice move.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/18/15 6:00 p.m.

not done yet, I am suspecting tomorrow

what goes up for no reason, must come down.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/19/15 4:19 p.m.

Damn. Saw you down 20% earlier in the day. Slight rebound for "only" 15% down. Ouch.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/20/15 6:23 a.m.

Yeah I am gonna . See how Monday goes

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/22/15 10:24 a.m.

Oh yeah, I am free falling

I can bail now or I can wait. Since this is a game, I will wait.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/22/15 1:07 p.m.

Quite a ride for me today too. I've been up 3%, and down 12% within the same hour. Oof. Sitting at -3% now on the day, but planning on riding it out. If I'm right, this one could be another big winner.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/22/15 6:06 p.m.

Holy crap flight.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/23/15 7:20 a.m.

Right now I am just hoping Greece collapses and send everything into a spiral.

There is no sense in why the stock I shorted is as high as it is. There is no value behind it. Just hype. I just hope it crashes sooner than later.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/23/15 8:51 a.m.

How do buy to short?

Sell short, then "day order" or "good til cancelled?"

"Market," "limit," or "stop?"

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/23/15 9:12 a.m.

Actually, i need a refresher course in shorting in general.

Who wants to help me win the whole thing?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/15 9:15 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Right now I am just hoping Greece collapses and send everything into a spiral. There is no sense in why the stock I shorted is as high as it is. There is no value behind it. Just hype. I just hope it crashes sooner than later.

I learned the dangers of playing with hypemonger chew-toys early in the game. You're in for a crazy ride until you get rid of that stuff.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/23/15 9:22 a.m.

Up 34% so far for the day.

GO BABY GO.

But seriously... i need help shorting.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/23/15 9:31 a.m.

I do a short based on the current price, I don't try to predict the future to a number. Short at the current market price, if it is fluctuating a bunch do a limit price for what you are comfortable with and have seen in the last minute.

If you predict wrong, you could loose a ton. I have lost half a million on 2. I did it on Fitbit. It went off like a rocket with no reason to do so. It doesn't have the revenue, market share, or competitive advantage, other than name recognition, to be at 30 much less 38 it is at today.

I think it will crash soon enough. Just stay calm. What's the worst thing to happen? I loose a game that actually taught me about the market? I still win.

I am gonna give this crap till Monday. If I loose a ton so be it. Funny money anyway.

Real money I would just buy.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/23/15 9:32 a.m.

No i mean i don't even know how to set it up.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/23/15 9:35 a.m.

Ohhh,

It is just like buying, but instead of buy click short. should be at the top of the trading pop up window options (physically about midways, just below the current price)

Do not max out on shorts for if there is a fluctuation you could go negative big time. Leave your self some cushion.

Do something small to start, maybe 10 shares of a cheap and bouncy stock (SQQQ is a good one). Short it. Wait a few minutes and then click trade now. You will see a "buy to cover" button as shown up

That is buying enough stock to cover what you have already sold.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/23/15 9:46 a.m.

Gotcha, so the last step just wasn't seen because i haven't done it yet.

Thanks!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/23/15 9:57 a.m.

One thing that has screwed me a couple of times in the game is that my buy to cover comes in at a price other than current. Sometimes it's been enough difference to turn a gain into a loss. For instance if I short at $10, see the price is at $9.50 and buy to cover, I should net $.50 a share. But then I look at my transaction page and see that it processed the buy at $10.10 and I really lost $.10 a share. Best I can figure is some kind of delay in the game versus in real time numbers. But it's bit me a few times, to the point where I'm no longer trying to make low percentage moves.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/23/15 9:59 a.m.

Also - For longer term plays, I'm all over shorting FIT and AMBA. But the market is so inflated right now that they are being propped up by momentum, which doesn't work so well for this game. I made a few bucks yesterday on a short of FIT that was bought and sold within an hour of each other. I had put in an order to short FIT at the IPO, and I'm glad it didn't work or I'd be swimming with Flight down there in the deep end. It's feeling very much like 1999 to me right now.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
6/23/15 10:00 a.m.

You can't do a limit order on a buy to cover to automate the whole thing?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/23/15 10:05 a.m.

I just tested that on one of mine, didn't seem to work. Or maybe i set it up wrong.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/23/15 10:46 a.m.

Well this has been a weird day.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/23/15 11:16 a.m.

A 40% swing in one day? That might be the game record. By a lot.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/23/15 11:50 a.m.

Proof.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/24/15 9:43 a.m.

almost down to an even million today. Two more reports came out say Fitbit is peaked and sell now.

So far the right idea, wrong timing. Story of my life. Crash you son of a ugly goat.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/24/15 1:29 p.m.

Oh, you're shorting the stock that previously lost you over $400k when you tried buying it?

HAHAH! TIME TO GO UP NOW!

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iebjUpNHD0FJ2ldegNbsUUIsJ7SIJSmJ9psEdebi1oZ18dDK1xI4SWn43XdlKclA