SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/1/14 8:11 p.m.

And NOW it's back to the 7:59 prices.

Good grief.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
10/1/14 9:14 p.m.
SVreX wrote: And WHAT THE HECK did Nervous Dog do that he made $20K on a day like today???

I bought a stock that was set to split 5:1. I will probably dump it quick since most of the growth can be attributed to the artificially low price that was created by the split. I don't normally try to time the market but this looked like a good opportunity and it's not real money.

Also, I went on a buying spree in the last hour of trading. The Dow was down so it's kind of like everything was on sale. Even when stocks fall there is normally an uptick right before the end since people want to buy in cheap in case the market recovers the next day. I was able to buy some large, stable companies for a couple dollars per share less than if I had bought in the morning and I'm fairly confident they'll all recover.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/1/14 9:49 p.m.

I want splits and dividends! How do I get them?

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
10/1/14 10:01 p.m.

Google "upcoming stock splits". There are a few more happening this month.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/1/14 10:12 p.m.

Tried several times to register and nothing happens when I click the button. If I can ever get registered I'll join.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/2/14 5:30 a.m.

In reply to nervousdog:

Congratulations.

And thanks for sharing.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/2/14 7:11 a.m.
nervousdog wrote: I don't normally try to time the market but this looked like a good opportunity and it's not real money. Also, I went on a buying spree in the last hour of trading. The Dow was down so it's kind of like everything was on sale. Even when stocks fall there is normally an uptick right before the end since people want to buy in cheap in case the market recovers the next day. I was able to buy some large, stable companies for a couple dollars per share less than if I had bought in the morning and I'm fairly confident they'll all recover.

I did some of this as well. Not toward the end of the day, so I may be a fraction of a % behind, but I borrowed big time to buy stuff on fire-sale. As soon as it recovers to a normal level, I'll unload anything borrowed. Not something I'd usually do... but its a game and a good time to play with this sort of stuff.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/2/14 7:43 a.m.

Kinda sucks my big winner CyberArk went from awesome at open to pretty terrible at close.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
10/2/14 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

What do you mean "when I click the button"?

Did you start an account with MarketWatch, first?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/14 8:56 a.m.

Whoa everything's up today...including some stocks I'd shorted unfortunately...but looking better overall.

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
10/2/14 9:11 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: In reply to SVreX: What I learned today is that with my real money, I should play poker and stay away from Wall Street.

Let's see if we can help you out here: One of the things I look for is "Return on Equity" (ROE). If you go to Yahoo! Finance and type in a ticker symbol. Left side of the screen should be a blue-ish box with a bunch of headings. Scroll down until you see "Key Statistics" under "Company. Click on that. It'll bring up a chart. One of the sections of the chart is financial highlights. In that section is Management Effectiveness. In there is "Return on Assets" and "Return On Equity". You want those to be as high as possible - particularly ROE. What it basically says is, for every dollar the company keeps, how much are they able to generate from that dollar? If a company is only able to generate like a 2% return, well, they are likely not exceeding their cost of capital - cost of capital is their borrowing costs. If you are going to borrow $100 from me and I am going to charge you 6% interest - but you are only going to be able to generate a 2% return for yourself, should you borrow the money? Probably not. You're going to be 4% in the hole. If your generating a 2% return, you'd have to put in $300 of your own money + the 100 borrowed at 6% to cover the interest. This is sort of how ROE tells you how good / bad a job management is doing.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/2/14 9:51 a.m.

Anyone else locked out?

GameboyRMH
10/2/14 9:54 a.m.

I can still log in and see the rankings, trading view etc.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/2/14 9:55 a.m.

It kicked me for some reason, when i try to log back in, it just keep kicking me back to the initial "join game" screen where i have to put in keith's password.

Changed password twice, still keeps doing it.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/2/14 9:56 a.m.
CamaroKeith wrote: In reply to Nick_Comstock: What do you mean "when I click the button"? Did you start an account with MarketWatch, first?

After I fill out all the information to register and click the button at the bottom to register nothing happens. I've tried both of my email accounts, different passwords and changed the demographic answers. Nothing has worked so far.

In short, I can't register.

GameboyRMH
10/2/14 9:57 a.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote:
CamaroKeith wrote: In reply to Nick_Comstock: What do you mean "when I click the button"? Did you start an account with MarketWatch, first?
After I fill out all the information to register and click the button at the bottom to register nothing happens. I've tried both of my email accounts, different passwords and changed the demographic answers. Nothing has worked so far. In short, I can't register.

I had a problem where the confirmation email didn't go through, I tried logging in and got an option to resend the email, I got it the second time and then I could activate the account.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/2/14 10:22 a.m.

Yeah i can't get in on either browser on this PC, or my phone.

Super.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/2/14 10:24 a.m.

WooHoo!!! I'm in the lead to the bottom!!

One of my stocks TANKED right after they made an announcement of a new product that staves off competitors.

DOH!!

-Rob

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/2/14 10:33 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: In reply to SVreX: What I learned today is that with my real money, I should play poker and stay away from Wall Street.

No, what you learned today is that you do better with stuff you know something about.

You know something about poker, and not about stocks.

This time next year you will know something about stocks.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/2/14 10:35 a.m.

Well i wish i could log in so i could learn more. I'm watching one of my stocks eat E36 M3 on google finance and i want to dump the money into another one i have that i wish i had put more money into from the beginning.

Le sigh.

Anytime i try to log in, it just brings me back to the "About This Game" page where it prompts me for the private password. Over and over and over again. Deleted cookies from the site manually and still happens.

Poop!

GameboyRMH
10/2/14 10:57 a.m.

Yeah sounds like a problem with the site rather than your cookies...I'm sure enough that I think you should email support about it.

Bad news awaits you inside though!

I'm on a roll today, look out Paul D!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/2/14 11:00 a.m.

I know it's bad, i'm tracking my stuff on the googles.

Yamaha says the sight is berkeleyed for him, too.

GameboyRMH
10/2/14 11:33 a.m.

There's a company I want to buy stock in that's below the minimum stock price for the game, any tricks that will let me invest in them somehow?

One of those opportunities that's so good I wish I could afford it IRL...

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/2/14 11:46 a.m.

So with Tesla jumping like this, would it be prudent to sell it before it tapers off?

Is your network a direct correlation to if you sold all your stocks right that instant what you'd end up with?

GameboyRMH
10/2/14 11:49 a.m.

Yeah your net worth shows what you'd have if you sold all stocks instantly.

If you want to buy and sell based on little day-to-day jumps, you can do that, but that's what they call "day trading" and the stats would not be on your side.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VxRmMAu8qDyzxDIPkCEHeCT3Od2Wyqk84VMkINDaUWSP5HJ58zFmJC5j8it7JVKg