1 2
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/23 10:45 a.m.

I don't even know where to start here.  Alien corpses.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/23 10:46 a.m.

I thought this was going to be a street racing thread. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
9/13/23 11:05 a.m.

some seedy roadside freakshow attraction?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/13/23 11:09 a.m.

Umm ..

Link?

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
9/13/23 11:37 a.m.

New version of this:

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/13/23 11:41 a.m.

Their "expert" is a con-artist who has been caught in the past putting animal and children's bones together to make an "alien". So take this with a gigantic grain of salt. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/alien-mummy-peru/

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/13/23 12:04 p.m.

I'll admit it - I like me a good conspiracy theory, with hopefully some Reptilian aliens involved. However, these alien babies have been debunked by several sources. The truth remains out there, though.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/13/23 12:14 p.m.

I enjoy seeing the cycle of completely uncritical "holy E36 M3 it's happening" to "no one ever believed this and the only people saying it was real are CIA plants" that happens in the ufo groups on reddit every time something like this pops up

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/13/23 12:25 p.m.

If aliens ever actually visit, we will either DEFINITELY BERKING KNOW IT, or we will never berking know it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/23 1:35 p.m.

Apparently not a roadside freakshow but a presentation to Mexico's congress as part of a "UAP" hearing:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mexico-ufo-researcher-shows-purported-non-human-being-bodies-to-congress/

I wonder how whoever brought these would react to having the corpses taken for examination so the results can be presented to the public devil

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/13/23 1:38 p.m.

I gotta be honest, if aliens showed up, I'm not sure i'd care. There's enough dumb E36 M3 going on around here without adding a whole new interplanetary species to the mix. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/13/23 1:49 p.m.

I agree with Neil Degrasse Tyson. If extraterrestrials ever visited, it would be unpleasant.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/13/23 1:58 p.m.

Surely, any extraterrestrials that might happen by would be bound by Starfleet's "prime directive?"

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/13/23 9:04 p.m.

If aliens ever show up, just remember we're a good source of protein.......about 500 million tons of protein.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
9/13/23 9:13 p.m.

I mean, statistics say we're not the only developed planet that is out there, but also the likelihood that another exists, which has developed enough to achieve the ability to identify and investigate our presence, within the small window we've been capable of recognizing or receiving their presence, is very small. Like two or three row boats finding one another in the Pacific. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/13/23 11:09 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

If aliens ever show up, just remember we're a good source of protein.......about 500 million tons of protein.

This brings up a philosophical construct that sits in my head regularly. I wonder if the real reason we've not connected with extra-terrestrial life is- how we define life. Carbon, oxygen, proteins, basic building blocks of all living creatures, right? But...

What if it's not? Just because mankind hasn't discovered something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Even now we struggle to wrap our minds around the way aliens could possibly look. They almost always end up humanoid in fashion. Two arms, two legs, etc. Sure you've got space cockroaches and tentacle monsters and stuff too but...nothing's every completely out of the blue. Every modern alien concept we have as the human species is based on something we can process. 

What if it's here. What if it's been here the entire time, it's been doing something that we chalk up to something we can't explain (ghosts, perhaps) and we just don't have the evolutionary ability to process it?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/23 11:20 p.m.

You really think they would want to meet us?

Aliens with a vastly evolved society and technology would fly here and say, this is a little too "hold my beer," and then be like, "let's give them another 5000 years."

This is akin to driving cross-country to go to a bar to pick up women only to find that the only woman is a toothless meth-head hooker with a penis.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/23 11:29 p.m.

I tire of nonsense like that. This on the other hand, I can very much get into:

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/13/23 11:56 p.m.
Mndsm said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

This brings up a philosophical construct that sits in my head regularly. I wonder if the real reason we've not connected with extra-terrestrial life is- how we define life. Carbon, oxygen, proteins, basic building blocks of all living creatures, right? But...

What if it's not? Just because mankind hasn't discovered something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Even now we struggle to wrap our minds around the way aliens could possibly look. They almost always end up humanoid in fashion. Two arms, two legs, etc. Sure you've got space cockroaches and tentacle monsters and stuff too but...nothing's every completely out of the blue. Every modern alien concept we have as the human species is based on something we can process. 

What if it's here. What if it's been here the entire time, it's been doing something that we chalk up to something we can't explain (ghosts, perhaps) and we just don't have the evolutionary ability to process it?

An extension of defining life as we define life is defining technology as we define technology. A common refrain is "Why would any civilization advanced anough to master interstellar travel waste their time on us?" 

Well, what if interstellar travel is pretty much the only thing they figured out, and they're otherwise colossal dumbasses? Maybe their method of travel isn't technological, but biological. Or was given to them by another advanced civilization and they just started zooming around the universe and halted all other progress. 

Anyway, this Mexico thing is dumb and I kind of feel bad for the Mexican congress because they're clearly getting punked and you would hope actual congresspeople would be smarter than to allow that kind of spctacle in their chambers, but as an American I have no room to talk.

And, yeah, I'm also on the if they do ever visit we'll either never know or REALLY KNOW train as well. 

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/14/23 12:33 a.m.
johndej said:

I mean, statistics say we're not the only developed planet that is out there, but also the likelihood that another exists, which has developed enough to achieve the ability to identify and investigate our presence, within the small window we've been capable of recognizing or receiving their presence, is very small. Like two or three row boats finding one another in the Pacific. 

And on top of that, the universe is old and there is no proof that intelligence isn't an evolutionary dead-end (After all, we have nearly blown ourselves up more than once already).

So not only do you have all of johndej's points, we and The Aliens have to both arrive at the point we could communicate... at the same time... in the 27.6 billion years the universe has existed.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/23 12:50 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I feel that it's pretty obvious that octopi are aliens living on this planet amongst us already. There are octopi that write code for AI at Cal Berkeley who are given food rewards in exchange for writing code and are released back into the waters of Monterey Bay and swim back to researchers they recognize to effectively volunteer for the code for shrimp and crab program participation. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/14/23 8:42 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

You really think they would want to meet us?

Aliens with a vastly evolved society and technology would fly here and say, this is a little too "hold my beer," and then be like, "let's give them another 5000 years."

This is akin to driving cross-country to go to a bar to pick up women only to find that the only woman is a toothless meth-head hooker with a penis.

Vastly evolved assumes "we" are somehow the evolutionary barometer, for better or worse, and the only way to measure progress, another thing I struggle with. Evolution (at least as I've come to understand) means something along the lines of progress towards the most efficient way of existing. Humans have been evolving for tens of thousands of years, and we consider ourselves advanced. Gators haven't done E36 M3 in MILLIONS of years and they're doing just fine doin gator stuff. Seems they evolved to the apex way ahead of humans and we're kind of bumbling idiots, at least to me. We can't even decide what kind of food is good for us!

In any event- if I was the exploratory type to catapult myself across a universe and I saw a bunch of squishy little meat tubes hucking protein strands at each other to procreate and making something called "nachos" and "bourbon" I'd probably at least stop and look. But again, that's assuming they think the same way we do. We can't assume anything about them. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/14/23 10:37 a.m.
Noddaz said:

I don't even know where to start here.  Alien corpses.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/14/23 1:26 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Vastly evolved assumes "we" are somehow the evolutionary barometer, for better or worse, and the only way to measure progress, another thing I struggle with. Evolution (at least as I've come to understand) means something along the lines of progress towards the most efficient way of existing. Humans have been evolving for tens of thousands of years, and we consider ourselves advanced. Gators haven't done E36 M3 in MILLIONS of years and they're doing just fine doin gator stuff. Seems they evolved to the apex way ahead of humans and we're kind of bumbling idiots, at least to me. We can't even decide what kind of food is good for us.

It's not even that. "Evolution" just really means "change over time".

If you actually think about it, all DNA-based life on this planet has been evolving for effectively the same amount of time and is thus all equally evolved. We're not more evolved than other primates. We are just as evolved from our shared ancestor species as they are.

Same thing with dogs... And lizards... and Insects... and even Bacteria...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/23 1:37 p.m.
Mndsm said:

There are chemical reasons for carbon-based life that mean only a couple of alternate configurations such as silicon-based could work, so we can narrow down the possible options for chemical makeup. Also from our experience on earth, we can be pretty sure that some alien creatures would look like crabs...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Ev8TjIffOLSweoax2HiFOjXNPOZ0GPPbx2KawCgpcRqXotSUQfGjOzQixWxCtw6