Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/22 8:35 p.m.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
9/20/22 12:05 a.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/20/22 7:13 a.m.

I love learning new words. This sounds like what it represents.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/20/22 10:00 a.m.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'ይሽ0 When Volvo invented the three-point three -point seat belt in 1959, They made the patent free for all competitors to use in order to save lives, because "It had more value as a free life-saving tool than something to profit from.''

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/20/22 10:21 a.m.

May be an image of text that says 'british people ants beans and toast weird .weird loyalty to their queen innate instinct to line up single-file and travel in a queue takes things that aren't theirs back to their colony love for crumbly pastries can lift up to 5,000x their own weight'

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/22 10:54 a.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/20/22 12:50 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

The scientists who created it, sold it to the University of Toronto...for $1.00.

It was their gift to the world.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/20/22 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Uh, thank you Sir Banting....

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/20/22 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

So, what's preventing some brilliant shiny happy person from manufacturing insulin, cheaply, and distributing it, cheaply, again, as a "Berk you" to Big Pharma?

I'm a shiny happy person, that would love to do this, but I'm nowhere near brilliant enough. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/22 1:59 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) :

Big pharma will never cure it. Too much money to be made keeping us alive. It will be a rogue scientist or biologist or a couple of grad students. They'll do it to be forever in the history books. They'll do it because no one else will.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/22 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

And the FDA would never approve it because big pharma owns them outright. Where else will they get that cushy job after their government service?

NY Nick
9/20/22 2:57 p.m.

I am going to take the hopeful road on this one. My family has been on this train for a little over 6 years with my son. In 6 years we have seen some great improvements in available technology. I know that not everyone gets to experience these improvements but they are coming and more people are getting them. We went from no glucose monitoring and multiple daily injections (MDI), to a pump to a pump and a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). Now the CGM talks to the pump and makes corrections based on an algorithm. This was developed by funding from the JDRF. The level of improvement has been amazing and I see more research making gains in the near future. My family has helped to raise $58,666 for the JDRF in the last 6 years. I am confident that the fundraising makes a difference for all the people that deal with diabetes. 

Here is a link to the fundraising page if you are interested. 

And Meme totally related.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
9/20/22 4:18 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) :

Big pharma will never cure it. Too much money to be made keeping us alive. It will be a rogue scientist or biologist or a couple of grad students. They'll do it to be forever in the history books. They'll do it because no one else will.

I thought I'd read a while back that some high school students in Australia had figured out how to do it, but I can't find the news story. It was pre-pandemic. I did find this: LINK

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/22 9:07 p.m.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
9/20/22 10:04 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Appleseed :

So, what's preventing some brilliant shiny happy person from manufacturing insulin, cheaply, and distributing it, cheaply, again, as a "Berk you" to Big Pharma?

I'm a shiny happy person, that would love to do this, but I'm nowhere near brilliant enough. 

Jeff Bezo could have built a 400 foot boat and paid for this instead of his 500 foot boat.

https://calmatters.org/commentary/2022/08/state-produced-insulin-aimed-at-curbing-pharmaceutical-industrys-failures/

https://calmatters.org/commentary/2022/08/state-produced-insulin-aimed-at-curbing-pharmaceutical-industrys-failures/

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/22 7:33 a.m.

Corporations hand what ever taxes they pay back to the consumer. It is all part of the bottom line on their products.

Meme semi-related:

NY Nick
9/21/22 7:41 a.m.

OK, this may get out of hand soon. Let's get back to poking fun at diabetes instead of pissing on the 6 billion people that have failed to cure diabetes so far...

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
9/21/22 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I mean, it was 1922, so a dollar then was worth like $10 today.  Dude could've bought himself a bottle of reasonably priced champagne with that kind of scratch. 

Didn't mean for this to get political, but I forgot this was the Internet so of course it did. *sigh*

You are all Hitler. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/21/22 8:36 a.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
9/21/22 11:11 a.m.

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/21/22 11:27 a.m.

David Elfering
David Elfering GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/21/22 12:24 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/21/22 12:29 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I was halfway through that and thinking myself, "I didn't know Neil Gaiman had anything to do with Rings Of Power."

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/21/22 12:42 p.m.

1 ... 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 ... 1733

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pvx1w5NPo4KpGGdaDTGgPa8FPiYaHuq4oJn2Jbx5idxk2jkoJ569iFwGsgmt4Yl7