barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/10/23 10:33 a.m.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/10/23 10:59 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I'm calling politics on that meme.

It's not just political, it's aggressively ugly, and should be removed for that reason alone.  Debate on contested issues is one thing, nasty name-calling is quite another.  We should demand better.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/10/23 11:01 a.m.

In reply to NickD : 

I didn't study much of Turing in school, only a little bit, but I recall that his involvement in Enigma is both (a) extremely important and (b) overstated. I don't know how much though. I do know that in my local school board's election, he came up because an overview of his life was being taught (20 minute lesson on Turing, it included Enigma as well as his persecutions and chemical castration, and importantly the Pole's involvement), and one side said that it shouldn't be taught in an AP class in high school. I hate this version of reality. 

Alan Turing Being a hero who The Empire shall- helped breaking know you for. German.ciphers? Alan Turing Being the father of theoretical computer science? Alan Turing Being gay

Pin on Inspiring & crushing

A meme you can believe in – cartesian product … stuff about computing mostly

alan turing Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

AI Turing Test | Dartmouth Folklore Archive

r/HistoryMemes - Celebrating Alan Turing on his birthday today

Also worth noting that he supposedly committed suicide due to the persecution, but modern historians are unsure about that conclusion. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/23 11:28 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Interesting. I know who he is and what he did and learned it in school. I did not know he was gay. Your first two memes are false. 

False Memes False Memes Everywhere - Buzz and Woody (Toy Story) Meme | Make  a Meme

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/10/23 11:39 a.m.

It took 9 posts to forget this:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/23 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

It's an important part of Turing's story, though. It may not matter to us if he was gay, but it sure did to those around him and it had a significant effect on his life.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/23 12:16 p.m.

BEHAVE

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/10/23 12:16 p.m.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/23 12:18 p.m.

In the grand scheme of things, a LOT of cultural change has kicked off in the last 100 years.

There are still people that actively supported segregation voting in our elections.  It'll take a while for changes to bed themselves in.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/10/23 12:29 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I hesitate to post this for obvious reasons (which realistically should contain a few "phobe" words also), but I think this best makes the point of why you probably should not have posted the above (and I would not call either entirely untrue BTW), and to provide a bit of parity.

The issue that both these point to is clearly not contained to one "side", nor are the specifics they highlight indicative to that entire "side", although some on the other "side" tend to think so.

But both very definitely point to A SIDE.

(thus political)

And the real point here:

WarGames - "The Only Winning Move" - YouTube

I obviously have no issue with the deleting of both the post.

Toyman!
4/10/23 12:34 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

There are still people that actively supported segregation voting in our elections. 

I've lived in the South for 50 years and have never seen or heard of anyone pushing for voting segregation. A quick Google search turns up nothing. I'm curious to know why you make this statement. 

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/23 1:16 p.m.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
4/10/23 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I've lived in the South my entire life, more than 50 years and know too many people who are segregationists and who believe that Caucasians are the superior race. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/23 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

My 8th grade social studies teacher taught us that the south would rise again and win this time.  Yes she meant a second civil war.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/23 1:41 p.m.
Toyman! said:
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

There are still people that actively supported segregation voting in our elections. 

I've lived in the South for 50 years and have never seen or heard of anyone pushing for voting segregation. A quick Google search turns up nothing. I'm curious to know why you make this statement. 

Reworded for clarity: 

"People who actively supported segregation are still voting in our elections."

Meme potentially related. I'll never tell...

Toyman!
4/10/23 1:53 p.m.

Y'all must be hanging out around the wrong people. 

Time to get this thread back on track. 

Humorous Memes About Quarantine and Covid · A Journal of the Plague Year ·  Covid-19 Archive

The 50 Funniest Memes in the History of the Internet - Let's Eat Cake

Or, some political memes are actually kind of witty - Imgflip

1 ... 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 ... 1733

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
48NNZFJO6zE5bw2Rgkeqh76DOQrpevBRIAm419e6M9UKFmTiDyRWUJ9GknTmazWJ