1 ... 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 ... 1746
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/28/23 1:49 p.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/28/23 3:09 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

That show was so weird to me after watching him on the local evening news for years.  I think I still have a book of a bunch of his commentaries.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/28/23 3:56 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
Duke said:

[snip]

Sure, easy to say your adversary's beliefs "command no inherent respect". But it is just as true about your own personal beliefs.

Of course it is.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/28/23 4:19 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

That show was so weird to me after watching him on the local evening news for years.  I think I still have a book of a bunch of his commentaries.

Wasn't he practicing as a guest on his own show in the early 70's?  Don't forget he had to step down as Mayor after paying prostitutes with government checks, yes plural, not once.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/28/23 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

He was actually just a councilman when that happened.  I think it was also a personal check, but the story about it being a government check was spread when he was running for governor of Ohio.  He became mayor after taking a short break from politics.  I'm not sure if it was that way at the time (but wouldn't be surprised if it was), but Cincinnati had a weak mayor system for a while, and the mayor was automatically whoever got the most votes for city council.  After his political career, though, he became a very well respected tv news reporter and commentator.  Then he started his talk show, which while trashier than them, was pre-dated by Sally Jessie, Geraldo, and others.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/28/23 4:37 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Auto Mechanics Hilariously Recreate Renaissance Paintings | Bored Panda

Auto Mechanics Recreate Famous Renaissance Paintings In This Hilarious  Photo Series By Freddy Fabris

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
4/28/23 5:03 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/23 5:12 p.m.
Duke said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
Duke said:

[snip]

Sure, easy to say your adversary's beliefs "command no inherent respect". But it is just as true about your own personal beliefs.

Of course it is.

Having issue with the idea that someone who thinks differently from me is an adversary.  The world would be very dull if everyone thought the same.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/28/23 5:34 p.m.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/28/23 6:21 p.m.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
4/28/23 7:35 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/28/23 7:44 p.m.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
4/28/23 7:57 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

He was actually just a councilman when that happened.  I think it was also a personal check, but the story about it being a government check was spread when he was running for governor of Ohio.  He became mayor after taking a short break from politics.  I'm not sure if it was that way at the time (but wouldn't be surprised if it was), but Cincinnati had a weak mayor system for a while, and the mayor was automatically whoever got the most votes for city council.  After his political career, though, he became a very well respected tv news reporter and commentator.  Then he started his talk show, which while trashier than them, was pre-dated by Sally Jessie, Geraldo, and others.

Well sort of, for those who don't know (probably most) Cincinnati has a strong third party that also lets you be a member of another party at the same time. Called the Charter Committee (whose members are called Charterites) they had a deal with the Democrats to split mayoral power in one-year periods. The mayor was chosen by city council out of the pool of Democratic and Charterite members. If a member was a Republican then they did not have to split power but some Republicans were also Charterites! So I'm not sure if it was first Democrat vs. first Charterite going back and forth. So the best way to stay in power would be to be both a Democrat and a Charterite and get the most votes. Or be a Republican and get the most votes (being a Charterite would be optional) I don't know how often the Republican-Charterite card was pulled. But there have been times where it was just like you described, just not when Springer was mayor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_Committee

It does not work like that now.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/28/23 8:05 p.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/28/23 8:31 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

A fellow Cincinnatian?  

I can't remember when the switch was to a traditional election for mayor (and more powers for them), but I seem to recall the weak mayor system was meant to prevent a "boss" from happening again.  During the weak mayor times, if I remember right, the city manager had quite a bit of power, but was selected by the council.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/28/23 9:44 p.m.

barefootcyborg5000
4/28/23 10:03 p.m.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
4/28/23 10:11 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to GCrites80s :

A fellow Cincinnatian?  

I can't remember when the switch was to a traditional election for mayor (and more powers for them), but I seem to recall the weak mayor system was meant to prevent a "boss" from happening again.  During the weak mayor times, if I remember right, the city manager had quite a bit of power, but was selected by the council.

No I moved back to Columbus in 2009. I spent much of the 2000s living in Cincinnati and still have lots of friends there. Cincinnati history and culture are very interesting to me. And they're well documented.

It was sometime in the '90s I think when the weak mayor system was changed. But the mayor is still kind of weak as compared to other cities and became weaker since the elimination of the "pocket veto" when Aftab took office.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
4/28/23 10:46 p.m.

barefootcyborg5000
4/28/23 10:50 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

That is among the dankest of memes. Current, yet classic. Relatable to both young and old. Bravo. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/23 7:48 a.m.
Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/29/23 9:37 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/29/23 10:26 a.m.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/29/23 10:29 a.m.