nderwater UltimaDork
6/23/23 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

chandler
chandler MegaDork
6/23/23 12:02 p.m.
Jerry said:

Job opportunity?

There is also an opening for the founder.... oh wait.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/23/23 12:56 p.m.

Anyone else feeling pretty conflicted about the submarine memes?  I'm both entertained and disgusted at the same time. 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/23 1:12 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Anyone else feeling pretty conflicted about the submarine memes?  I'm both entertained and disgusted at the same time. 

I am feeling less conflicted after reading this:

BBC News - Titan sub CEO dismissed safety warnings as 'baseless cries', emails show

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
6/23/23 1:14 p.m.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
6/23/23 1:15 p.m.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

I have a lot of *empathy* for the people who perished. I have zero sympathy for them, as they took all known best practices around submersible craft and ignored them, despite having the financial means to ensure the safety of themselves and their passengers.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/23/23 1:34 p.m.

I doubt you can say that the teenage son fully understood the risks and the shoddy workmanship/maintenance of the submersible.  I doubt any of the paying passengers were anywhere near as knowledgeable as the CEO, who IMO is the only one that remotely deserved what they all got.  And let us not forget the pain that the families are feeling.  It's a tragedy, plain and simple, and to laugh at their expense is, IMO, incredibly callous and dare I say disgusting.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Flogo.cafepress.com%2F5%2F3269.9648375.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=5cce41b194c71fc9e6fe768247f8a58e268517e1f35402af9fc0b0c3a9d6c97e&ipo=images

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/23/23 1:38 p.m.

I feel bad for the 19 y.o. kid who got brought along.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 2:27 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

They do push right to the edge of humor. Cringe-worthy and humorous at the same time. Time makes the ratio more favorable so a lot of these really are too soon. 

Most of them are more "Oh E36 M3," than "Haha,' but that's ok too. 

Ooh E36 M3 GIFs | Tenor

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 3:11 p.m.

May be an image of text that says '@HexenkraftMusic Pronouncing Grimace like Versace 11:04 PM 6/14/23 GRIMACE'

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/23/23 3:13 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

Yeah that's the one that hits the sads for me too.  Life lost at 19 is tragic in almost any case.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/23/23 3:33 p.m.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
6/23/23 3:34 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:
Beer Baron said:

Yeah that's the one that hits the sads for me too.  Life lost at 19 is tragic in almost any case.  

If the 19YO wasn't on the sub, I wonder if he'd be at a Blink-182 concert while they rescue is underway?!? (like the stepson of the CEO/founder).

Bad situation all around...but I did hear an interview the other day that highlighted the fact that people "safely" dive to these kinds of depths using non-experimental submersibles all the time.  James Cameron did a whole documentary on it.  It certainly makes me wonder why they needed to build some experimental non-tested design.  I guess $$ was a factor? 

Correction, James Cameron built his own sub.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/23/1183975136/james-cameron-titanic-titan-sub

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 4:26 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

Nope. Almost every idiotic death is surrounded by play stupid games win stupid prizes comments. Not sure why this is different. Is there a chart that tells me how wealthy someone has to be to not joke about. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/23/23 4:44 p.m.

Everybody dies.  Some do it rapidly and painlessly in a submersible.  Some suffocate in the bottom if a coal mine.  Don't particularly care about the dead folks, they are dead and past all their worldly pain.

The spouses and children and siblings are hurting right now, and whether they are ultra rich or dirt poor makes not one bit of difference 

Somebody made a comment about the money spent looking for five rich dudes, and poor people wouldn't have gotten that effort.

BullE36M3.  https://www.britannica.com/event/Chile-mine-rescue-of-2010

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/23 5:16 p.m.

I find myself uncomfortable with the memes about the sub. After a think, here's what I came up with:

As a lover of harsh humor, like Sam Kinison, Dice, etc, I wondered how these memes offended me. Finally, I decided the problem was audience. Even when Dice caused the controversy on SNL,  the audience was at least somewhat steeled to it (Midnight on a Saturday night), but MEMES have no audience, and are simply broadcast at the world, lacking a chance to ever hear an opposing opinion. The one way conversation bothers me. 

MEME:

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/23/23 5:28 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/23/23 5:59 p.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/23/23 6:05 p.m.

Jersey Mike's Subs @jerseymikes How do you top your sub? Jersey Mike's Subs  @ Blocked. Blocked. Blocked. You're all blocked. None of you are free of  sin - iFunny Brazil

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/23 6:44 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/23/23 7:00 p.m.

I was 19 years old when I got my private pilot's license. I took it very seriously. I knew how easy it was to die. Submarine kid should have done his homework.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/23/23 7:57 p.m.

1 ... 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 ... 1736

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R1sdBD8s2nPVb6kyPtQjoor1sYJFAX5YHQHmfUcvlF4sBDLSCmhVYP9na32h4ppX