In reply to Duke :

I even got one in the Porsche Font.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/6/23 11:47 a.m.
Duke said:
nderwater said:
Duke said:

You know what?  I see enough fat Hispanic people, I don't want to read this crap... smug hypocrisy berking pisses me off sometimes.

OK, this pissed me off enough that I had to go look.  Americans males aren't even in the top berking 10 worldwide.  And for females, not in the top 20.

Not to undermine your point, but the combined population of all those countries listed above the USA is about the population of the county I live in. 

So what?  It's a per capita statistic.

They're tiny statistical outliers.  Just like I could isolate counties in my state with very high rates of obesity relative to the US national average, but what exactly would that prove about the USA as a whole?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/6/23 12:01 p.m.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/23 12:01 p.m.
nderwater said:
Duke said:
nderwater said:
Duke said:

You know what?  I see enough fat Hispanic people, I don't want to read this crap... smug hypocrisy berking pisses me off sometimes.

OK, this pissed me off enough that I had to go look.  Americans males aren't even in the top berking 10 worldwide.  And for females, not in the top 20.

Not to undermine your point, but the combined population of all those countries listed above the USA is about the population of the county I live in. 

So what?  It's a per capita statistic.

They're tiny statistical outliers.  Just like I could isolate counties in my state with very high rates of obesity relative to the US national average, but what exactly would that prove about the USA as a whole?

In Duke's defense, as a career statistician...

Allow It GIFs | Tenor

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/23 12:50 p.m.

FB_IMG_1695945406246.jpg

Toyman!

FB_IMG_1696189160753.jpg

Toyman!

FB_IMG_1696587200864.jpg

Toyman!
10/6/23 12:51 p.m.

FB_IMG_1696587334179.jpg

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/6/23 12:55 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

Allow It GIFs | Tenor

RX Reven'
10/6/23 1:09 p.m.
nderwater said:
RX Reven' said:

Allow It GIFs | Tenor

I'm really glad that you're being a good sport about it.

As I'm sure you're aware, something can be statistically correct and yet still be misleading.

Personally, I would have used relative rather than absolute values (i.e. what percent of countries are more obese than the U.S).

To your good point, this would provide a control for the plethora of tiny countries...we'd expect may of them to be less obese than the U.S. which would produce a less flattering percent value for the U.S..

Fun fact, the average person has one testicle and one ovary.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/6/23 1:10 p.m.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'alarmingpenguin Sarah @SarahEliza_99 2:21 PM cheese is just a loaf of milk 22 Jul 19 Twitter for iPhone She's right and I'm scared urbanfantasyinspiration This implies a liquid form of bread i-am-the-broken-bride Beer urbanfantasyinspiration'

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/23 1:11 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

I would argue that the average person has fewer than one testicle and one ovary. Also, fewer than 2 arms and 2 legs. All have one head, however (ignoring a very obvious joke).

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/6/23 1:16 p.m.

I would argue that the average person does not regularly visit the GRM forum, and is therefor not a member of the master race.

RX Reven'
10/6/23 1:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

I would argue that the average person has fewer than one testicle and one ovary. Also, fewer than 2 arms and 2 legs. All have one head, however (ignoring a very obvious joke).

No contest...I concede your point.

18 Math Teacher Memes That Just Make Sense - We Are Teachers

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/23 1:31 p.m.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/23 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Also, on average, moor than one skeleton per person.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/6/23 2:07 p.m.

I once used accurate statistics to convince my vegetarian boss that vegetables cause cancer. Correlation is not causation folks! And a phd dont make you smart.

Meme semi related. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/6/23 3:39 p.m.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
10/6/23 3:52 p.m.

No Time
No Time UltraDork

No Time
No Time UltraDork

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/6/23 4:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I once used accurate statistics to convince my vegetarian boss that vegetables cause cancer. Correlation is not causation folks! And a phd dont make you smart.

You used mathematically correct calculations, but bad statistics.

10 statistician memes to celebrate data science week

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/23 5:34 p.m.
Toyman! said:

FB_IMG_1696587334179.jpg

While it would APPEAR that it took engineers 29 years to come up with that joke, the proposal for the joke is fairly old. Of course it needed a few revisions and the change approval process was a nightmare. Meanwhile the sales guys had promised the client the world but then management came and unilaterally declared that it must not exceed three lines, but cost overruns and the fact that there was only tooling for ten point font meant there was an orphaned word after all. Truth be told, there aren't even fully approved schematics for it, but here it is in production anyway. 

1 ... 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 ... 1733

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BXl8DUlCkYhM0G87nnenKrhrvqKitB1OvEBm7RKqTxTCMYIbgvRc0KP0zSae9zLa