Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/5/23 9:49 p.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
12/5/23 10:32 p.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

The kids born between 45-55 had a different childhood than 56-64. I would argue that it's two separate generations. Serial Movies and radio vs TV. No phone or a party line vs rotary dial phone. Mom at home with the kids vs working moms.... etc a lot changed around the mid 1950s. 

I was born in 1975 which makes me a core Gen-Xer.  My parents were silent generation kids, born in the 1930s. I tend to have a lot in common with folks a little older than me.  

See, another generational touchstone that I strongly correlate with Boomers is the Vietnam War. Boomers were the offspring of WWII vets who told them they had to do their patriotic duty, and the Boomers were like, nah, don't feel like it. So a Boomer would have had to have been at least 18 in 1972 or so.  

I guess this whole pointless discussion shows us that the Generation thing, while fun to talk about and a good way of laying smack down on others who aren't in ours, is pretty meaningless. I was born in 77, but back in the 90s I distinctly remember being told I was born after GenX, even though I kinda related to that whole ethos. Now 25 years later and there's people younger than I am who are considered Xers. 

So, are we agreeing that there's "Early Boomer" and "Late Boomer", and the switchover point is the beginning of the Tri-Five Chevy years?  Early Boomers dodged the draft, and Late Boomers were responsible for Disco. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/5/23 10:37 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/23 11:15 p.m.

David Elfering
David Elfering GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/6/23 1:41 a.m.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/6/23 3:22 a.m.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/23 7:29 a.m.

In reply to mtn : 

Let me fix that for you.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/23 7:39 a.m.
Appleseed said:

What Gen X Wants In Digital Healthcare | by Sam Liberty | Bootcamp

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/6/23 7:43 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/6/23 7:45 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/23 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Correct, that's why they were Boomer IIs.  Two of my sisters were BIs, one of my sisters was a BII, and I'm a Gen Xer (barely), despite my parents being just 16 when The Big One ended.

I'm curious about why Eastside Tim chose to FTFY the chart by simply crossing out Gen X.

I've also heard Gen Y called "echo Boomers" because they were a smaller boom, being the first generation of kids born to the Boomers themselves.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/6/23 8:47 a.m.
Javelin said:

It's that time of year where I complain about having my generation taken away and getting lumped in with another.

When I was in High School, Gen Y was born 1980-1/1/93 (birth of the internet, I explicitly remember this from the textbooks) and Gen Z was 93+ then some jerkface invented the word "Millennial" and then grouped those of us that grew up with corded telephones and dot matrix printers with the kids that never even heard a dial-up modem tone and now I yell at people to get off my lawn.

Yeah, the idea of defined generations is pretty artificial.

I'm in that same category as you, and the best description I've read of my microgeneration that straddles "Gen-X" and "Millenial" is this article about the 'Oregon Trail Generation'. Old enough that our childhood wasn't shaped by cell phones, internet, or social media (like Gen-X), but young enough to be able to adapt to them (like Millenials).

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/6/23 9:28 a.m.
Duke said:

I'm curious about why Eastside Tim chose to FTFY the chart by simply crossing out Gen X.

It's a fairly common trope.  A lot of times when there are news reports about the status or opinions of the various generations, Gen X is not included.  It skips straight from Boomers to Millennials.

Edit:  Also a "forgotten" Gen Xer.

wae
wae PowerDork
12/6/23 9:30 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

A meme for illustration:

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/6/23 9:38 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/23 9:55 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Duke said:

It's a fairly common trope.  A lot of times when there are news reports about the status or opinions of the various generations, Gen X is not included.  It skips straight from Boomers to Millennials.

Ahh, thank you.  I don't bother watching the "news" so I was not aware of that.

Meme tangentially related:

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/6/23 10:04 a.m.

GCrites
GCrites Dork
12/6/23 10:05 a.m.

^See: Going out to eat at a place primarily aimed at families. You're eating in the '50s, bud. Oh look, an old jukebox. And there's a picture of a family watching a floor TV. That's a lot of 45 RPM records hanging up there!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/23 10:23 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Duke said:

They don't forget us, they just don't want to talk to us. Gen X isn't very good a sugar-coating things and frequently our statements are full of unprintable cuss words.

Gen X Eff Around and Find Out Generation SVG - Etsy

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
12/6/23 11:04 a.m.

I asked my dad (born '47) about the duality of the Boomer existence:

"That’s an interesting thought and something I have always wondered about.  Here is what I have always wondered:  Why did the baby boomer generation extend so long while other generations are 10 years +-?   Gen X, Gen Y, Gen Z are only about 10 years apart but historians categorize Boomers as 1946 to 1965, about 20 years.   I never really considered anyone born in 1960 a contemporary.  I probably met a few through work as I think back. 

All of my Boomer friends were born 1946 to 1954.    My cousin was born before WWII and is classified as a “Tweener” .   Too young for WWII and too old for Vietnam---even though he was in the Navy during Viet Nam and tells awful stories about recruiting trips to college campuses and being spit on by anti-war flower children.  He was a Navy pilot and did not deserve the negativity he encountered. 

My side of the Boomers were drafted and sent to war.  Some protested the war but most respected their friends and relatives who were serving.  We ALL knew somebody over there.  My two cousins were in Viet Nam and even though I opposed the war, I felt is disrespectful to them if I protested.  The younger boomers were the ones on high school campuses protesting .    The people I know who served all came home focused on life and did really, really well in life.  My classmates who did ROTC came home as leaders of men and succeeded in business.   Since I don’t know anyone born circa 1955-1964 I cannot contrast and answer your question with any certainty.   They would have been in grade school when I was in college and I’m sure we had nothing in common.  

People entering the workforce in 1970’s entered during a recession or time of higher unemployment.  My Class of 1969 all found good jobs.   Beginning in 1970, a LOT of guys couldn’t find jobs.   My brother graduated in 1972 and his class really had problems finding employment.    So if you start from behind, you end up playing catchup for a long time.    I have a 10 year head start on someone born in 1957 and 15 year head start on someone born in 1962---and according to historians, someone born in 1962 was still considered a Boomer."

44 'OK Boomer' Memes For All Your 'OK Boomer' Needs - Funny Gallery

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
12/6/23 11:06 a.m.

Let's be honest, even the bike you can afford will be fun to ride. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/6/23 1:28 p.m.
Toyman! said:
eastsideTim said:
Duke said:

They don't forget us, they just don't want to talk to us. Gen X isn't very good a sugar-coating things and frequently our statements are full of unprintable cuss words.

Gen X Eff Around and Find Out Generation SVG - Etsy

I don't know what the berkeley you're talking about. People always talking E36 M3 and never backing it up... buncha Bob Costas. 

No photo description available.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/6/23 1:52 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
12/6/23 3:13 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/23 7:51 p.m.

1 ... 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 ... 1720

You'll need to log in to post.