Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
12/15/23 12:57 p.m.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/15/23 1:16 p.m.
mtn said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I have formally diagnosed ADHD combined type.  These memes are painfully accurate. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/15/23 1:34 p.m.

I have to ask:

Isn't ADHD "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder"...?  So, why aren't those called:

• Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) - this is a thing that exists
  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) - also a thing that exists
  • Attention Deficit Combined Disorder (ADCD) - here we're breaking a small bit of new ground

I mean, were those named by the Department of Redundancy Department?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/15/23 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

ADCD is not a thing.

ADHD is broken down into 3 subsets. Inattentive, Hyperactive, and Combined. 

ADD is outdated and not really used anymore. What was recognized as ADD when I was a kid would be considered ADHD-I today.

ADHD-H is the kid who couldn't sit still, would interrupt, would flunk school but learn how to program for fun or fix the broken lawnmower without looking up anything. 

ADHD-C means that you have all of the fun parts of both types.

I was diagnosed at 33, primarily inattentive. I actually think I've got the combined type because of the internal struggle that I have every goddamned day not to interrupt, to be able to do a boring task that I don't see the point in or don't care about the result, etc. 

I think it is a misunderstood disease/condition. My parents are still coming to terms with it. I was very, very good at masking it. That was helped by the fact that I am pretty intelligent, or at least I have pretty good recall for random facts and I was legitimately very good at math. So it was never caught in school - I was never a problem child for the teachers and I got good grades. Looking back there were a lot of signs, but they wouldn't have been recognized back then. 

But life stacked up, and all of my masking techniques failed 1 by 1. There are some things that exacerbate it - for instance, smart phones and being on the internet all day at work because my entire job is done online. The ADHD would create depression and anxiety, or else amplify it. That would make everything even worse. I easily managed when I was responsible for just myself. But add in a wife with similar mental health issues, a house to maintain, dogs, kids, trauma, global pandemic, etc., and my life just fell apart. 

I stumbled upon this : r/adhdmeme

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/15/23 1:52 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I get all that.

What I'm saying is that it seems this nomenclature has grown organically over time and no one has ever reconsidered it.

Why not prune it back to what I suggested?  That accomplishes the same thing with a lot fewer words / letters.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/15/23 1:55 p.m.

I prefer AC/DC really

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
12/15/23 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

A legitimate question. My assumed answer: because state programs, federal programs, and insurance plans are all tied to the existing name. If you change the name, you lose the funding.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/23 2:04 p.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/15/23 2:14 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

No, there are legitimate scientific reasons. It has evolved. The short answer is that researchers effectively realized that there is no real difference in the different versions of the condition. Brief overview of the changes over time, and why: Is ADD and ADHD the Same? How Diagnosis Has Changed (verywellmind.com)

This one goes into some of the earlier history: Why Don't We Say 'ADD' Anymore? | HuffPost Life

Meme unrelated: 

Every Single Time : r/memes

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/15/23 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

I always heard Gas House eggs, but a Brit called it Toad in a Hole.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/15/23 4:14 p.m.
Duke said:

I mean, were those named by the Department of Redundancy Department?

Recently I was on a call where someone kept referring to passengers "PED Devices"

PED = Personal Electronic Device

Today I learned there is a whole Wikipedia on this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAS_syndrome

Stolen image from there to meet meme requirement

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/15/23 6:01 p.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/15/23 6:02 p.m.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
12/15/23 6:29 p.m.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
12/15/23 7:05 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Not only was I going to second everything you wrote (especially the personal story, but mine was at 29-30) but then I hit the meme, and did exactly what that berkeleying green circle claimed, which then especially frustrated me.

I'm not mad, I'm not mad

wae
wae PowerDork
12/15/23 8:38 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/15/23 9:07 p.m.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/23 9:26 p.m.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork