1 ... 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 ... 1734
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/24 3:02 p.m.

May be a graphic of map and text that says 'wyoming LakeC Lake Utah Cheyenne Nebraska Ling WHAT NORMAL PEOPLE SEE •Denver Colorado Kans ona oSanta Fe Phoenix Okl New Mexico Okla @punchampion Wyoming Cheyenne Utah Nebraska WHAT COLOR BLIND PEOPLE SEE •Denver ado Okl Okla'

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/11/24 3:34 p.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to Duke :

Nobody is doing their jobs in Canada then.

New Westminster is replacing an aging four lane bridge with a brand new four lane bridge.

Sometimes traffic planners do things for less than obvious reasons.  Some years ago, a narrow bridge on a well traveled local road needed to be replaced.  It was replaced... with another narrow bridge barely wide enough for two cars to pass. 

Why? Well... the speed limit on the road is 35 mph. Keeping the bridge narrow forces drivers to slow down. At least that's my theory... 

Unrelated meme/funny image...

GCrites
GCrites Dork
1/11/24 6:10 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Toyman! said:
Duke said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

Depends on how hard it would be to source a very large parcel to build a new school on in the nearby area.  A new high school can easily take 20 acres or more, and that's not always available in the right spot.  Can't just tear the old school down and do without for 2-3 years while the new one is built. Depends on how historic or locally beloved it is, too.

Generally it's about like a bad car accident - if renovations would cost 60-70% of a new building, DOE recommends a new school if feasible.

Then they do a study to determine the size of the school, spend a few years arguing about its design and architecture, spend a few more years appropriating funds for it, and a few more years building it. Ten years later you have a nice new school. Only it was designed for the population ten years ago.

They do the same thing when it comes to roads and bridges. 

Hamilton Southeastern is going through this right now. They even had parcels of land they had bought in appropriate locations before the area built up. They were prepared. Sorta. They opened the second high school and it was already at capacity. 

EDIT : realized I forgot the important part

May be an image of 2 people, car and text that says 'Honda Civic owners when the VTEC kicks in. Their passenger ifunny.co'

Ohio actually has a special fund just for that scenario. High school up the road was built for 1400 3 years ago and is already at 1800. They are adding 12 more classrooms I think without the local taxpayers having to foot the bill all by themselves.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
1/11/24 6:20 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/11/24 6:26 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/11/24 6:29 p.m.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/11/24 8:36 p.m.
NickD said:

I have been wondering for a while how the current excess features in auto design will be looked at in retrospect.

If all these fake diffusers, massive grilles that actually have tiny openings, false aero and whatnot will be seen as a "point in time" oddity similar to the 50's fin absurdity. 

travellering
travellering Dork
1/11/24 9:08 p.m.

Not really a meme, but every now and then "latest topics" puts some fun titles together...

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
1/11/24 9:13 p.m.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
1/11/24 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

A coworker has a TJ he's been dumping money into for a while. Chasing his own tail trying to keep up with the Jones's. In the six or so months he's had it, it's been usable for a total of about two weeks. Anyway. 

Jeep coworker has been really driving me up the wall lately. So today he's talking with another guy about something, and I hear him say "you know, you get what you pay for."

So I snap "Yeah, unless you're buying a Jeep, then you're just paying and getting nothing for it."

And I wish it was enough to have gotten him to stop talking to me for a couple days. No dice. 

Meme:

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/24 10:01 p.m.
Trent said:

I have been wondering for a while how the current excess features in auto design will be looked at in retrospect.

If all these fake diffusers, massive grilles that actually have tiny openings, false aero and whatnot will be seen as a "point in time" oddity similar to the 50's fin absurdity. 

You make a valid point. It's absurd. I'm hoping that we go the other way, much like Detroit abandoned bloated, lumpen shapes slathered in massive heaps of bright work around 1960 and suddenly started giving us some (not all) really beautifully proportioned, tastefully adorned cars for a few years, but I have my doubts. Maybe the new Prius will be a trendsetter. 

Meme unrelated.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/11/24 10:04 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Jeep's what?

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/24 10:34 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Jeep's what?

Jeep is. Happiness comes from Jeep is.

When I am elected King, I shall impose an absolutely crippling tax for apostrophe abuse. Crippling, I tell you. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
1/11/24 11:15 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/12/24 1:16 a.m.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/12/24 1:21 a.m.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/12/24 1:28 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/12/24 3:46 a.m.

Nope. It was Bob.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/12/24 7:23 a.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
1/12/24 7:27 a.m.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/24 7:51 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:
Trent said:

You make a valid point. It's absurd. I'm hoping that we go the other way, much like Detroit abandoned bloated, lumpen shapes slathered in massive heaps of bright work around 1960 and suddenly started giving us some (not all) really beautifully proportioned, tastefully adorned cars for a few years, but I have my doubts. Maybe the new Prius will be a trendsetter. 

Meme unrelated.

It's ridiculous. 90s Pontiacs and the Z34 now blush with how naked and devoid of claptrappery they are. 

As far as the hope for the future, have you seen BMW's new plan? It really is like they were Cadillac's fins with their goofy beaver face excess and are repentantly simplifying 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/12/24 7:58 a.m.

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/12/24 8:00 a.m.
travellering said:

Not really a meme, but every now and then "latest topics" puts some fun titles together...

From another forum: 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/12/24 9:21 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/12/24 9:43 a.m.

1 ... 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 ... 1734

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B0XmIZISf8Yhi3ShduHG6d43VjDzVDiuQ7CJSZCjcmrlB17zQ5AWgABlcbeRL7vc