8/25/24 9:46 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Someone needs to do this for Hitachi.

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
8/25/24 9:57 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Although almost certainly a joke, I have seen Lucas fuses (old style cylindrical) wrapped with tinfoil and reinserted in the fuse block......

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
8/25/24 10:28 a.m.

It should rate somewhere between the pull tab and the foil.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/24 11:01 a.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/24 11:03 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

This hurts because they didn't shave the penny's terminals down to the thickness of the fuse terminals.

Jam that in the fuse block and you may open up the contacts to where a normal fuse won't work anymore and you just created a new problem.

- 27 years of experience as a tech who has seen many many electrical issues caused by damaged contacts from people cramming things where they don't belong, and really how hard is it to steal a higher capacity fuse from the rear defroster or horn or something, I mean it's right there, jeez already

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/25/24 1:04 p.m.

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
8/25/24 1:28 p.m.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
8/25/24 2:03 p.m.
jgrewe said:

It should rate somewhere between the pull tab and the foil.

Many moons ago when 11GTCS was still a service tech in the van.... I was working on a decent sized RTU with a 480 V / 3 phase feed, I had noticed the compressor contactor was chattering a little so I decided to remove the arc guard to see if the contacts were pulling in all the way. (Foreshadowing, bad idea to remove the arc guard when it's misty and the contactor is chattering.)   When I restarted it I noticed a blue arc starting between the contacts and had just gotten my hand on the disconnect switch to pull it off when the contactor arced over fully and blew up.   Sounded like a shotgun blast but fortunately I was far enough away that the noise was the worst of it.

When I opened the disconnect I discovered the three 35 A fuses that should have been there had been replaced with 3 carefully cut pieces of 3/4" copper tubing.  Wonder how many amps that would have taken?  (I had to reset a 150 A breaker in the main switchgear to power up the HVAC subpanel again. I was actually surprised it didn't take the building main breaker out too.) 

Meme unrelated:

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/24 3:34 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

I now have a use for an 11mm wrench.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/25/24 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

You don't have a car with German brake calipers then smiley  The 11mm and 9mm wrenches get used.

Almost all electronic parking brake calipers have 11mm bleeders.  Even Hondas.  Durn Japanese cars got a German accent smiley

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
8/25/24 4:43 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/25/24 6:18 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/24 7:03 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Noddaz :

You don't have a car with German brake calipers then smiley  The 11mm and 9mm wrenches get used.

Almost all electronic parking brake calipers have 11mm bleeders.  Even Hondas.  Durn Japanese cars got a German accent smiley

That's so the old school American mechanics can use their 7/16" wrenches. 

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
8/25/24 7:41 p.m.

This is not the place for a comparison of the DIN and JIS standards.

All M7 bolts will have an 11mm head in the DIN 

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
8/25/24 8:33 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/25/24 8:40 p.m.
Trent said:

This is not the place for a comparison of the DIN and JIS standards.

All M7 bolts will have an 11mm head in the DIN 

I have encountered M7 bolts in exactly two places.

Seemingly half the bolts needed to R&R the trans in a DeLorean, all of which are very small, have flangeless heads, and are easily lost.  Pik-A-Nut does not stock M7 so losing a bolt is the end of the world if you can't find it from what dark dank place it fell into the frame.

And.... Volvo whiteblock cylinder head tops.  (It's not a valve cover, it's the cam caps and everything)

I'd like to say that the French car had 11mm across the flats bolts, while the Volvo engine has 10mm ATF bolts.  44 of them to hold the cylinder head together on a five cylinder.  I counted.  Multiple times.

ObMeme:

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/25/24 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I think the PRV V6 had a bunch of 7mm stuff, too.  I have a box of bolts from various Volvo interactions.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/25/24 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

That's what powers a DeLorean.  Rear engined, too, not mid engined.  Renault transaxle.

Finding parts for it was entertaining because the lists that online commmunites have created for interchange are full of things like "CV boots for a 1974 BMW 2002".  I'm sure that will be easier to find, technically.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/25/24 9:19 p.m.

Memes, boys, memes.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/25/24 9:28 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/25/24 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I've worked on all versions of them.  A DeLorean is just a backwards 264.  A Peugeot 605 has one tiny carb, and one giant one.  The Renault R30 had one French SU looking thing.

They all share the leaks, abnormal cam wear, and shaky idle from the oddfire.  Ignoring that, they can be made to last forever.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
8/25/24 10:24 p.m.

1 ... 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 ... 1734

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mLuQewCrk9VAHD7tkmbKJTYzakVqkMFszk4jsWPg4T7OBpUD4Ml0znJUBz1DLvki