1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 ... 1735
ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/23/20 8:01 p.m.

I found my old Hypercolor shirt when going through some boxes a few months ago.

It went in the trash. No longer changing colors and not even good for a car wash rag.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/23/20 8:57 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

Righty-O.

This happened to me this morning, so very relavent:

Dropping a deuce, crying laughing so hard at this. My wife calls from the other room, “you’re looking at a meme, aren’t you? One that I’m not even going to think is funny, right”

me, through my tears, “you’re so right”

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/20 9:50 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/20 1:01 a.m.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/24/20 1:05 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/20 6:45 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/20 6:46 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/20 6:47 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I had a issue at my old house of people running over my mail box so I built one. The post was 4" square tube with a 1/4 wall. The box itself was made out of 3/16 plate. I also had a 18" boat propeller attached to it as decoration. It ended up weighing a couple of hundred pounds and I had to set it with my engine hoist. 

Pretty sure the truck wouldn't destroy it, but it sure would have driven it into the ground. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/20 7:13 a.m.

Friend of mine had problems with kids in car with baseball bats.  He welded up something similar; stood strong ever since, he has found bits of Louisville slugger along the side of the road though.  Surprise!

P3PPY
8/24/20 7:58 a.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

needs more fork in the hand

P3PPY
8/24/20 8:03 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I had a issue at my old house of people running over my mail box so I built one. The post was 4" square tube with a 1/4 wall. The box itself was made out of 3/16 plate. I also had a 18" boat propeller attached to it as decoration. It ended up weighing a couple of hundred pounds and I had to set it with my engine hoist. 

Pretty sure the truck wouldn't destroy it, but it sure would have driven it into the ground. 

I tried that nonsense just once. Made a bad swing that bounced off the box and dented my friend's C pillar hahahah he was so mad

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/24/20 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

Dude near my old house had trouble with kids playing mailboxball, so he got a regular mailbox, put it inside a larger mailbox, and filled the void with concrete.  Mounted it on a piece of 3" Sched 40 iron pipe, also filled with concrete, set in an 18" auger hole about 32" deep filled with, you guessed it, concrete.

Within 10 days somebody brought a backhoe by in the middle of the night, yanked the whole thing straight out of the ground, and laid it across the end of his driveway.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
8/24/20 8:52 a.m.
P3PPY said:

In reply to 914Driver :

I tried that nonsense just once. Made a bad swing that bounced off the box and dented my friend's C pillar hahahah he was so mad

I tried it once but not with a bat. The mailbox had a round steel post and about a 4' long horizontal piece sticking out towards the road and the mailbox sat on the end of that. My friends goaded me into knocking off the mailbox. I got out of the car and gave the box a mighty kick. Well as it turns out the horizontal piece was made to pivot on the post. When I kicked the box the whole thing spun all the way around and hit me in the ass. It was kind of hilarious. I was actually glad it turned out the way it did. I didn't really want to bust the guys mailbox, peer pressure and all that.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/24/20 9:07 a.m.

My uncle also did the mail box in a larger box with the void filled with concrete. Also mounted on a steel post, would there be any other way?

The next Sunday morning there was a shattered Louisville slugger laying next to it.

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/24/20 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

Not to be the downer here, but if someone hits a mailbox like that with their car, they can sue the mailbox owner for having a non-compliant box.  Boxes are supposed to be able to shear off to prevent damage if struck by a vehicle.

There's lots of urban legends and tall tales about reinforced uber mail boxes, but the reality is it's not worth the trouble, and could land you in a heap of it. 

OK, back to the memes!

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/24/20 10:04 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) :

Not sure where that's a thing, everywhere I have traveled has examples of big brick or stone mailboxes.  I've even seen cars totaled against them.    The trap boxes designed to look normal but resist bat wielding teenagers are just awesome.  I bought one at Lowes after my mothers' house got hit, it weighed about 50 lbs and the post was an oak fence post (what all the horse fencing is installed with) and in no way designed to "break away".

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/24/20 10:10 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

Not to be the downer here, but if someone hits a mailbox like that with their car, they can sue the mailbox owner for having a non-compliant box. 

Compliant with what regulation?  I read through the mailbox codes a year or two back when building a new mailbox and don't recall seeing anything like this.

What I did recall seeing was the ability to tolerate snow loads from plowing, and that would be almost directly at odds with the easy-shear mailbox requirement, unless you use the style where the post itself is well back from the road but there is a horizontal piece bringing the box to the right location.

To be clear though, most of the mailbox regs are very very gray.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/20 10:15 a.m.
ShawnG said:

I found my old Hypercolor shirt when going through some boxes a few months ago.

It went in the trash. No longer changing colors and not even good for a car wash rag.

Koni was giving away color-changing shirts to promote their Active shocks at the SEMA show last year. It was a generational test to see how many people made Hypercolor comments.

I worked at a windsurfing shop in the 80s and I monoskied in the winter. I was rad. So much Quiksilver and MAUI & sons stuff. I liked it then, I liked it now ;)

Not really a meme but it's a picture with a caption so I'm using it. I actually have a postcard like this with one of my French monoski buddies on it.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/20 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Mono ski, that's it you are forever a lunatic.  I never got MonoSkiing.  Was it as uncomfortable and nuts as it looked at the time?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/20 11:24 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Mono ski, that's it you are forever a lunatic.  I never got MonoSkiing.  Was it as uncomfortable and nuts as it looked at the time?

Actually, they're really good in powder and tracked power. Not great on ice, but in their natural environment of the French Alps they're great. Also easier for doing flips and rotations than normal skis. At the time, we were keeping our feet close together anyhow. If you kept your weight over your boots instead of just leaning back and waggling the nose around, they worked pretty darn well. Even in the moguls, you just have to aggressively set an edge. Mine was built more like a normal ski and had less taper than some of the others. Took a while to find a set of bindings that could handle the odd loads, though.

Also, unlike snowboarding you don't start every run by sitting on your butt in the snow :)

The classic monoski crash is to fall over sideways and land on your hip, at which point all of your forward momentum converts to rotation around your hip and you launch a column of snow into the air as you pinwheel.

Had a friend who was into speed monoskiing. Apparently lift from the big tip becomes a problem above 80 kmh or so and of course stability can be a problem as you have a fairly narrow stance. I tried it, it's a little sketchy. We were close to Albertville in 1991, so you can see how speed skiing was on people's minds as it was a demonstration sport at the Olympics the next year.

Here's what mine looks like, although that's somebody else's. Yes, I still have it. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
8/24/20 12:19 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/20 1:06 p.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/24/20 1:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Mono ski, that's it you are forever a lunatic.  I never got MonoSkiing.  Was it as uncomfortable and nuts as it looked at the time?

Actually, they're really good in powder and tracked power. Not great on ice, but in their natural environment of the French Alps they're great. Also easier for doing flips and rotations than normal skis. At the time, we were keeping our feet close together anyhow. If you kept your weight over your boots instead of just leaning back and waggling the nose around, they worked pretty darn well. Even in the moguls, you just have to aggressively set an edge. Mine was built more like a normal ski and had less taper than some of the others. Took a while to find a set of bindings that could handle the odd loads, though.

Also, unlike snowboarding you don't start every run by sitting on your butt in the snow :)

The classic monoski crash is to fall over sideways and land on your hip, at which point all of your forward momentum converts to rotation around your hip and you launch a column of snow into the air as you pinwheel.

Had a friend who was into speed monoskiing. Apparently lift from the big tip becomes a problem above 80 kmh or so and of course stability can be a problem as you have a fairly narrow stance. I tried it, it's a little sketchy. We were close to Albertville in 1991, so you can see how speed skiing was on people's minds as it was a demonstration sport at the Olympics the next year.

Here's what mine looks like, although that's somebody else's. Yes, I still have it. 

To paraphrase Captain Slow, that looks like a ticket to a festival of plastic death.

Or at least some broken ankles when you go down.

1 ... 300 301 302 303 304 ... 1735

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
psF5HiiXUBkbX9Clo3LRTe9Ms4ZWjWceC3B9yN3BzLUTsHEwjyUTrKDjdSoBxtdf