1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 ... 1736
CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/20 1:43 p.m.

I had a couple different race snowboards in the 90's. One of them looked very similar to that. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/20 1:47 p.m.

Back to the mail boxes. In HS I worked at an auto parts store. I had a friend who was a bit crazy or maybe a bit touched. Anyway, he liked to run down mailboxes with his Chevy truck. One night he came in around 11PM and asked if I could order a radiator and have it there the next morning. When he showed me the truck with a split rail that entered the grill and exited at the bottom of the windshield I knew why.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/20 2:34 p.m.

Now I'm wondering how many product names fit this formula, and how amusing the DnD spell could be made using them.

Murphy's Oil Soap
Newman's Ranch Dressing

and so on.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/24/20 3:49 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

Not to be the downer here, but if someone hits a mailbox like that with their car, they can sue the mailbox owner for having a non-compliant box. 

Compliant with what regulation?  I read through the mailbox codes a year or two back when building a new mailbox and don't recall seeing anything like this.

What I did recall seeing was the ability to tolerate snow loads from plowing, and that would be almost directly at odds with the easy-shear mailbox requirement, unless you use the style where the post itself is well back from the road but there is a horizontal piece bringing the box to the right location.

To be clear though, most of the mailbox regs are very very gray.

My township has zero codes since 90% of the land is farm trust, they DO have a mailbox code as I found out when I went to build a stone mailbox frame. It does have to be able to shear off if hit by a car (or snowplow, which is who always hits it) or I can be held liable.

edit: mine is a 4x4 three feet in the ground dry and three feet out of the ground. I buy twelve footers and get one per year.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/24/20 4:28 p.m.

Shearing off mailboxes.  

All my neighbors by me have those brick monstrosities and since we live near a corner four have been mowed down by kids usually going too fast or drinking.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/20 5:46 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

Not to be the downer here, but if someone hits a mailbox like that with their car, they can sue the mailbox owner for having a non-compliant box. 

Compliant with what regulation?  I read through the mailbox codes a year or two back when building a new mailbox and don't recall seeing anything like this.

What I did recall seeing was the ability to tolerate snow loads from plowing, and that would be almost directly at odds with the easy-shear mailbox requirement, unless you use the style where the post itself is well back from the road but there is a horizontal piece bringing the box to the right location.

To be clear though, most of the mailbox regs are very very gray.

All the mailboxes in the area where I work have huge plywood contraptions before them, to shield them from being wrecked by snowplows.

And in the winter, you'll see the people who DON'T have shields, with their boxes blown over the first time the plow comes through after a nice heavy wet snowfall.   The kind of snow that feels like you are shoveling wet concrete, and takes out a few people from heart attacks and being too proud/stubborn to get a snowblower.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/20 5:57 p.m.

I just added snow plow mailbox destruction as number 1432 on my list of reasons not to live up north.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/24/20 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I put my mailbox next to one of those skinny little utilities access points. If my box gets hit, the guy driving the plow, and his supervisor, are going to have a lot of paperwork.  I figure I am safe.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/20 6:09 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/24/20 6:26 p.m.

The first time I went to Maine, I wondered (for a moment) why the fire hydrants had antennas.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/20 6:39 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I put my mailbox next to one of those skinny little utilities access points. If my box gets hit, the guy driving the plow, and his supervisor, are going to have a lot of paperwork.  I figure I am safe.

It's not the plow that "hits" them, it's the horizontal avalanche that the plow creates.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/24/20 6:47 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

It's not the plow that "hits" them, it's the horizontal avalanche that the plow creates.

True, but in either case, the utilities thing is going over before my mailbox.

Edit for meme because meme thread.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/20 9:10 p.m.

What happened to the memes?

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
8/24/20 9:38 p.m.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/24/20 9:45 p.m.
Appleseed said:

What happened to the memes?

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/25/20 1:54 a.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

Sorry but I can't help myself devil - "No, it's still a power slide"

goes back to sleep ...

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/25/20 8:42 a.m.

8/25/20 8:42 a.m.

8/25/20 8:43 a.m.

8/25/20 8:43 a.m.

8/25/20 8:44 a.m.

8/25/20 9:24 a.m.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/20 10:03 a.m.

I think we should've done the flying cars, first.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/20 10:23 a.m.

1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 ... 1736

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PIGM5Mc20MgYT2NRwxJNA8WzmqACXrxgJzmHbIlw0zbMrURmqIacgaSzhrCmxpAS