barefootskater UltraDork
9/3/20 6:03 p.m.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/3/20 6:14 p.m.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/3/20 6:31 p.m.

Image may contain: one or more people, text that says 'Saurabh Sharma @ssharmaTX America is great because when the entire world tried to bully them into using the metric system they said sure and proceeded to only use it for bullets.'

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/20 6:48 p.m.
kazoospec said:

Image may contain: one or more people, text that says 'Saurabh Sharma @ssharmaTX America is great because when the entire world tried to bully them into using the metric system they said sure and proceeded to only use it for bullets.'

...and, oddly, large bottles of carbonated beverage.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/3/20 6:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
kazoospec said:

And automobiles, and the entire military, and airplanes, and everything else actually.  

Only airplane speed and altitude seem to still be standard.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/20 7:29 p.m.

I'm not sure if it's not supposed to be happening, but I can get Meximelts at the stores near me.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/20 7:55 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Keith Tanner said:
kazoospec said:

And automobiles, and the entire military, and airplanes, and everything else actually.  

Feet is the international standard for altitude.

Nobody has ever explained to me, to my satisfaction, what a "knot" signifies.  But that's the hogshead per fortnight we use for aircraft speed...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/20 7:57 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
wvumtnbkr said:
Keith Tanner said:
kazoospec said:

Feet is the international standard for altitude.

Nobody has ever explained to me, to my satisfaction, what a "knot" signifies.  But that's the hogshead per fortnight we use for aircraft speed...

It's a "knot"ical mile per hour. A nautical mile is bigger than a dry mile because it has absorbed water.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/20 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Nautical mile, which is based on degrees of latitude, so it actually makes sense.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/3/20 7:59 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Hogs head per fortnight? I drink WAY more than that...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/3/20 8:00 p.m.

"Knots" stems from the days of sail. Water speed was measured by throwing a piece of wood over the side. The piece of wood was attached to a line with knots tied in it at specific intervals, which were counted as the ship sailed on and the line paid out. The number of knots that paid out in a specific amount of time was used to calculate the ship's speed. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/3/20 8:03 p.m.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/3/20 8:36 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I think you are thinking of furlongs per fortnight...

Pete. (l33t FS)
9/3/20 8:46 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I think you are thinking of furlongs per fortnight...

We not want to measure length, we want to measure height!

Or something...

The joke falls flat when altitude and distance ARE measured in different units.

johndej
johndej Dork
9/3/20 8:48 p.m.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
9/3/20 9:37 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

furlongs per fortnight

Came here to add this but you’ve beaten me.  Well done sir... one of Mr. Murphy’s laws I believe.  

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/3/20 9:50 p.m.

I personally prefer Leagues per Sidereal day...

Pete. (l33t FS) said: But that's the hogshead per fortnight we use for aircraft speed...

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/3/20 10:28 p.m.

I ploughed my way through a monstrous ICAO report on metricating everything in aviation once upon a long time ago ... the best bit was in the conclusions where the committee "deplored States that paid lip service to metrication but were only inching towards it"

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/3/20 10:41 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

You have got to be E36 M3ting me, I'm a freaking fast food Nostradamus over here.

10 minutes after I posted that above, this pops up on social media.  So long shredded chicken burrito. crying

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/taco-bell-more-menu-item-cuts-2020-mexican-pizza

Well then getting rid of shredded chicken means I'll never be able to get my wife too eat there again.

And th closest thing I have too a grm safe meme 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/4/20 5:55 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/4/20 7:06 a.m.

1 ... 308 309 310 311 312 ... 1746

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M1ROivjdHUOsX82G0rthRHFpppAAxVQmYneCGyHjZOauzjjqQ2l4fRJBMan1GBu4