No Time
No Time Dork
11/3/20 7:35 a.m.

Not sure if this is the right place:

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/3/20 8:43 a.m.

In reply to No Time :

I keep tapping that ass but it's not working....

No Time
No Time Dork
11/3/20 8:52 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to No Time :

I keep tapping that ass but it's not working....

That's a statement that leads down many questionable paths when taken out of context 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/3/20 9:05 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Ironically, I know two linemen - my cousin and my uncle. Both have college degrees. 

Note: I have a BS, my wife has a BS and MS, we have only a small amount of debt and do not regret going to college at all. But I do wish that our high schools, and our parents, had given us more education about different paths. I don't think either one of us would have changed how we did anything, really, but it would have been nice to have been given a small intro into plumbing/electrical/programming/etc.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
11/3/20 10:54 a.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
11/3/20 11:15 a.m.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/3/20 12:19 p.m.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/3/20 1:22 p.m.

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/3/20 1:49 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Aw, c'mon. Trades are a great option, but framing it with a straw man and bonus helping of "us vs them" is just... Can we just have cheezburgers instead? Or choose our paths based on what we want to do?

I have a BS in computer science. Fifteen years later, my debts are just about paid off, and I make good money (and enough that the duration of paying off debts hasn't exactly been depravation). My wife doesn't have a degree and out-earns me by a lot because she is crazy smart, works super hard, and was in the right place at the right time to say "Office intranet? Sure, I can figure out how to do that." shortly before the dot com boom. Er, the one around the turn of the millennium. I needed a piece of paper to help me have the confidence to tell people I could write their software, and back then there weren't the sort of code schools that are now effectively trade schools for software (and I mean that in a good way; a chunk of what I learned in doing a BS was math that's mostly applicable to stuff like proving that your implementation of a sorting algorithm is efficient, but you never, ever implement sorting algorithms in daily programming because your platform will include well-tested ones)... I learned a lot at school, but the biggest thing I probably got was finding out I could complete it. I still wonder where I'd be if my high school hadn't decommissioned the auto shop the year before I started.

Oh, and my uncle and one of my closest friends are philosophy professors (EDIT: actually, my friend's a history prof, but his own studies focused on philosophy). So there's at least one job there if you're good enough at it (and in the right place at the right time). They also don't think people without degrees are stupid. Maybe they're just better at philisophizing than Jim. They're certainly more realistic examples of philosophy students, having existed and stuff.

Apologies as appropriate for the literal take; I'm feeling short of fuse on divisive rhetoric lately.

No Time
No Time Dork
11/3/20 3:43 p.m.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
11/3/20 5:06 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/20 5:14 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/20 5:15 p.m.