1 ... 398 399 400 401 402 ... 1731
Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/19/20 11:35 p.m.

EDIT because I'm apparently the only one who didn't play some game in the '90s and thus have only the current berkeleyed up context for the otherwise mostly abandoned OK symbol.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
12/19/20 11:57 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

This!

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
12/20/20 12:17 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom (FFS) :

Pretty sure it's a play off the old 90's game of signing OK and trying to get someone to look at it. Dumb game but not racist. The OK symbol is very similar to the racist WP symbol, which can cause confusion in some circumstances. I'm not racist and don't hang out with racists, so I have only ever seen/interpreted that hand gesture as the OK sign. Other individuals probably have different experiences.

Based on context of the meme, it could be interpreted as the dumb OK game, or it could possibly be pointing out that what's wrong it is a WP sign, which would be use of a racist sign to say that racism is wrong or pointing out that the guy is an idiot and is accidentally signing WP instead of OK.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/20/20 12:25 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom (FFS) :

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
12/20/20 12:32 a.m.

In reply to 90BuickCentury :

Thanks. Not being familiar with the trick-into-looking game, the sign has little other contemporary usage, so I was at a loss for other explanations since it wasn't obviously funny.

I'm also rather cross about not being able to wear my Hawaiian shirts these days. I'm about sick of good things being coopted and perverted.

Apologies to Shaun in particular. I'm guessing I'm the only person in a full page not to know the game mentioned.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/20/20 12:34 a.m.
Jesse Ransom (FFS) said:

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Please tell me there's a joke I'm not getting about the rear view mirror that has nothing to do with racist shiny happy people.

Before shiny happy people took away from us, getting someone to look at an OK symbol down by your crotch meant that you got to wail on them for getting caught. 

Wait...Hawaiian shirts are racist now? When did this get stolen from us?

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/20/20 12:50 a.m.

Probably because I'm a small town kid, I didn't know there were hand symbols for racism. And since the only place I see Hawaiian shirts is out in the 55+ communities, I figured they were just code for wife-swapping. 

Something new every day. 

And for how small this town is, I didnt find out about the "90s" game until about 2011. Possibility that my stolen memes have a deeper meaning, but I figured I'd just try to get y'all to look for a laugh.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/20/20 12:53 a.m.

I thought that was a European hand gesture for bunghole?

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
12/20/20 12:59 a.m.

I've already derailed the good and fun thread too much, but it's all too easy to look it up.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/20/20 1:05 a.m.

Wish these idiots would steal something lame like the E36 M3 emoji, and leave the cool stuff alone.

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/20/20 1:07 a.m.

My last submission for the night is this ready to be memed photo my wife sent me. I'm not much good at making them up, but with the right caption this could be a good one I think:

let's see what y'all can come up with. 

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/20/20 1:11 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/20/20 1:18 a.m.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/20/20 4:41 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Before shiny happy people took away from us, getting someone to look at an OK symbol down by your crotch meant that you got to wail on them for getting caught. 

Wait...Hawaiian shirts are racist now? When did this get stolen from us?

Stupid bugaloo boy new civil war a-holes...  They want a new civil war and call their hoped for event a luaou, "so let's all be fun and dress alike for the hoped for event!" Happened about the same time as the tiki torch was ruined for everyone at the charlottesville... Thing? (Stupid rally that really kicked off what feels like a whole new age of aholeiness that brought societies cockroaches out from the shadows, not to mention got someone killed)  And I hear you.. it want from "ok" to "ballgazer" to apparently white power?  Btw, they are also co-opting igloos because it sounds like bugaloo and it's bugaloo because of some obscure 80's movie I've never seen???

It's because we all made wearing swastikas not as fun apparently, so they are grabbing fun things to symbolize their bull excrement because it's all more fun if they dress alike and do their special clubby things... (could go on about the psychology of belonging here...) it's also what happens when 4 chan and similar become hubs for that breed of stupid.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/20/20 4:48 a.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/20/20 7:57 a.m.

I’m still gonna wear my Hawaiian shirt.  They aren’t taking that from me.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/20 8:36 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Probably because I'm a small town kid, I didn't know there were hand symbols for racism. And since the only place I see Hawaiian shirts is out in the 55+ communities, I figured they were just code for wife-swapping. 

I have heard the "wife swapping" code is now a pineapple flag outside the house. YMMV.

..It's all very confusing for this corn fed Midwesterner living in the south. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
12/20/20 9:16 a.m.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
12/20/20 9:23 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

I have heard the "wife swapping" code is now a pineapple flag outside the house. YMMV.

The pineapple has to be upside down, and it's not exactly a new thing wink And whatever you do, don't call them wife swappers, the PC terminology is swinger.

I ride a KTM. I laugh at all this racist talk...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/20/20 9:38 a.m.

Let's get back to fun stuff.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/20/20 9:39 a.m.

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/20/20 9:39 a.m.

barefootskater (Shaun)