1 ... 486 487 488 489 490 ... 1736
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/15/21 10:30 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
914Driver said:

Some years ago I was helping a friend change the fuel pump and filter on his daughter's Volvo 240. We ended up needing the connector pipe assembly between them, so we called the local dealer parts to see if they had one. The counter guy said, "Yeah... the thing that looks like a crack pipe?"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/15/21 11:08 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Whenever I get into an AutoCAD (shudder) drawing or Revit model the very first thing I do is set the tolerance to 1/256th of an inch, which is the highest resolution Autodesk will allow.  The default is something miserable like 1/16".

If you leave the resolution at something broad like that, both programs will happily act like they are drawing to whatever resolution you chose, but in reality they are only telling you that they are.  Everything is actually sized at 137/256 of an inch or whatever arbitrary number but the program will insist it is exactly 1/2".

It's even worse with angular dimensions.  The default setting is I think 2 decimal places.  That can lead to significant geometry errors.  It needs to be more like 5 decimal places.

YES, this E36 M3 matters.  Even in something the size of a building.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/15/21 11:44 a.m.

Ugh, that is torture.  NX does something similar.  Its 7 or 10 places by default IIRC, but you can tell the program suffers from its own rounding errors.  Make to planes exactly 90 degrees to one another then measure the angle and they are 89.999999 degrees apart.  Thankfully it is smart enough to know that and 90 deg are the same thing.

What drives me insane is when someone clearly berkeleyed up the angle or eyeballed it or something.  If you have 2 faces of an object 89.9996 degrees apart, you can't constrain the faces properly.  Once one is constrained to say the XY plane, trying to constrain the other to XZ will be an impossible ask.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/15/21 12:11 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Ugh, that is torture.  NX does something similar.  Its 7 or 10 places by default IIRC, but you can tell the program suffers from its own rounding errors.  Make to planes exactly 90 degrees to one another then measure the angle and they are 89.999999 degrees apart.  Thankfully it is smart enough to know that and 90 deg are the same thing.

What drives me insane is when someone clearly berkeleyed up the angle or eyeballed it or something.  If you have 2 faces of an object 89.9996 degrees apart, you can't constrain the faces properly.  Once one is constrained to say the XY plane, trying to constrain the other to XZ will be an impossible ask.

This is why I build things with a tape measure and a bubble level, and leave the digital level in the cupboard.  

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/21 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I read this immediately after the "dig up an old Ford ambulance" comment in the Sprinter van thread. I'm seeing a trend... cheeky

https://funnymemes.co/memes/Dont_Blame_Technology_Funny_Meme-600x654.jpg

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/15/21 12:41 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
This is why I build things with a tape measure and a bubble level, and leave the digital level in the cupboard.  

My excavator guy buried my 50' spirit level when back-filling my workshop.  Said he didn't know what it was, so he left it.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/15/21 12:51 p.m.
Jesse Ransom (FFS) said:

https://funnymemes.co/memes/Dont_Blame_Technology_Funny_Meme-600x654.jpg

A few days ago Mrs. P said, look at you on your phone while you're eating. Grow up and stop acting like a teenager.

Do you remember when I used to read my car magazines while I ate?

Yes.

Well, what's the difference?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/15/21 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Well, for one, the newspaper/ magazine was a one-way information transmission device.  And you had to reach a certain minimum level of competency in order to be deigned worthy of inclusion therein.

For another, a paper or magazine didn't cost you a week's wages, plus $100 a month for the privilege of a subscription. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/15/21 2:11 p.m.

Out for dinner with friends?

Whoever picks up their phone has to pay the bill.

I can stay home and look at my phone.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/15/21 2:15 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/15/21 2:59 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

My excavator guy buried my 50' spirit level when back-filling my workshop.  Said he didn't know what it was, so he left it.

50 foot?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/21 3:03 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Streetwiseguy said:

50 foot?

maybe he didn't want to rent a semi to bring it to the next job site.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/15/21 3:04 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Actually I was reading a bike test in an issue of MXA, on my free iphone, using the plan that actually saves me $10 a month off the land line I was able to E36 M3-can  because of it.

And I'm well aware of the etymology of the word pedantic cheeky

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/15/21 3:13 p.m.
Jesse Ransom (FFS) said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I read this immediately after the "dig up an old Ford ambulance" comment in the Sprinter van thread. I'm seeing a trend... cheeky

I don't hate technology and precision to eight decimel places, I just don't have a need for it most of the time. 

3/15/21 3:23 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/15/21 3:44 p.m.

Wasn't this a meme thread? 

3/15/21 3:51 p.m.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
3/15/21 4:22 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/15/21 5:32 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Streetwiseguy said:

50 foot?

50 foot piece of translucent tubing 98% full of colored water.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/15/21 5:38 p.m.

johndej
johndej Dork
3/15/21 8:47 p.m.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/21 8:49 p.m.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/15/21 10:00 p.m.
Duke said:
Mr_Asa said:
Streetwiseguy said:

50 foot?

50 foot piece of translucent tubing 98% full of colored water.

^^^ This.  Now 100% covered in dirt and concrete.  The spirit lives on.

3/15/21 10:39 p.m.

1 ... 486 487 488 489 490 ... 1736

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UMVXWbqEu17kzQ18k87j7weFyahZvPqGxwk7pQsBciARsAvzIyAIpgZwQSknTtQw