1 ... 573 574 575 576 577 ... 1746
jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
6/14/21 8:27 p.m.

Also, to clarify the Taurus being the top selling car.  That was a time that Ford owned Hertz rental cars. 95% of those Taurus's were "sold" to Hertz, run for about 8K miles and then sold at Ford dealer only auctions.  The Ford dealers were able to fire sale them and still make good money.  The number one selling car straight to the public was the Accord.

*source, BIL's family owned a Ford dealership

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/14/21 9:40 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
Keith Tanner said:
ShawnG said:
Brett_Murphy said:

That's a Ford Y-Block

He knows what he's got, KEITH.

Now that I look at it again, I think I'm wrong.

No adjuster screws on the rockers, Y-blocks are solid lifter motors. Distance from the manifold to the head is huge, Y-blocks are closer. No studs to mount the valve covers.

I think it's actually an FE.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/14/21 10:00 p.m.

I don't see the split between the head and intake like I'd expect on an FE.

Though, after a lot more searching, the rockers DO look like early 60's FE non-adjustable (T-bird?).  Perhaps the split is there, just covered in crud.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/14/21 10:03 p.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/14/21 10:03 p.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/14/21 10:04 p.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/14/21 10:04 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/14/21 10:08 p.m.
mtn said:

What DOES it do? 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/21 10:12 p.m.
ShawnG said:
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:
Keith Tanner said:
ShawnG said:
Brett_Murphy said:

That's a Ford Y-Block

He knows what he's got, KEITH.

Now that I look at it again, I think I'm wrong.

No adjuster screws on the rockers, Y-blocks are solid lifter motors. Distance from the manifold to the head is huge, Y-blocks are closer. No studs to mount the valve covers.

I think it's actually an FE.

Not an FE, you can see the valve cover rail curling around.  FE heads end roughly at the rocker pivots, the pushrods go through the intake manifold.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/14/21 10:19 p.m.

I'm thinking, with that big exhaust manifold and non adjustable rockers, maybe big block Mopar.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/21 11:03 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

It's missing the lower corner valve cover bolt boss, though.

Was starting to think Buick, since the valvetrain looks Buick-like, but those don't have the inner head bolts that high.

I almost think it's actually an inline, but then you'd see intake manifold, and I can't think of any crossflow heads with rocker shafts.

The big fugly exhaust manifold looks kind of like a water jacketed marine manifold, though, which both fits the location and should narrow it down a bunch.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/21 11:03 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I'm thinking, with that big exhaust manifold and non adjustable rockers, maybe big block Mopar.

I think a Mopar would have the rockers shaft mounted, and it looks like that's the case. Might be right. 

edited for a meme

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/14/21 11:25 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Looks like Ford architecture though. Really similar to the big Lincoln Y-block, those had hydraulic lifters but still had stud mounted valve covers.

Maybe an old Superduty engine, I've heard they're similar to the Lincoln Y-block but I've never seen one.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/14/21 11:45 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

I think a Mopar would have the rockers shaft mounted, and it looks like that's the case. Might be right. 

edited for a meme

My wife is working on that pattern.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 12:14 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Prove it.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/15/21 5:16 a.m.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/15/21 6:37 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/21 7:05 a.m.
NickD said:

HOw is this not the most upvoated meme on here yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/15/21 8:05 a.m.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/21 8:56 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

It's missing the lower corner valve cover bolt boss, though.

Was starting to think Buick, since the valvetrain looks Buick-like, but those don't have the inner head bolts that high.

I almost think it's actually an inline, but then you'd see intake manifold, and I can't think of any crossflow heads with rocker shafts.

The big fugly exhaust manifold looks kind of like a water jacketed marine manifold, though, which both fits the location and should narrow it down a bunch.

I'm thinking it's a Perkins of some sort.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/15/21 10:10 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/15/21 10:11 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/15/21 10:13 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/15/21 10:14 a.m.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/21 10:29 a.m.

May be an image of text that says 'You are never worthless Organs go for a lot on the black market.'

1 ... 573 574 575 576 577 ... 1746

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pEn2N8ukzP4UPrLOVdSri3uSGUKjne80o9qB3jKTdw5I56qMQx7in5sa85G1LLaM