1 ... 597 598 599 600 601 ... 1761
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/8/21 10:30 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

r/iiiiiiitttttttttttt - Well, only partially true.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/8/21 10:31 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

I don't know if that's correct.

I mean, nothing else is quite like Taco Bell. 

It might be it's own type of food or food group. Like Indian, Thai, Chinese.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/8/21 11:05 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Ack. Pedantry inbound. This drives me nuts. Taco Bell is an establishment, not a food item; one no more "eats Taco Bell" than one reads a library. My wife uses that constantly, just to get under my skin. It works.

You can "read Shakespeare", even though that's an author, not a document.  

I don't think "eat Taco Bell" or "drink Starbucks" or anything similar would be out of line.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/8/21 11:52 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/8/21 11:52 p.m.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/9/21 8:10 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/9/21 10:27 a.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/9/21 10:39 a.m.

Weather app on my phone today: funny

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/9/21 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/9/21 10:50 a.m.

yeah man, but it's a dry heat - Hudson APC | Meme Generator

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/9/21 10:56 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:

Ack. Pedantry inbound. This drives me nuts. Taco Bell is an establishment, not a food item; one no more "eats Taco Bell" than one reads a library.

While your point is technically correct, I respectfully reject your premise.

Using a blanket statement like "I ate Taco Bell" clearly isn't meant to imply that you ate a Taco Bell restaurant.  It's meant to spare both you and the listener from the unnecessary detail of saying "I ate a Crunch Wrap Burrito Supreme and some Bell Beefer Nachos with a Baja Blue Blast for a beverage."

Saying "I ate Taco Bell" is like saying "I ate McDonald's."  In very few words, it accurately describes not only the general style of food, but also the distinct level of quality to be expected and the likely circumstances under which it was consumed.

I'm having a hard time finding fault with that kind of verbal efficiency.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/9/21 11:00 a.m.

May be an image of text that says 'WHEN SO MANY PEOPLE ATTEND A VW MEET YOU CAN SEE THE GLOW FROM THEIR CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS FROM SPACE'

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
7/9/21 11:01 a.m.
Duke said:
DarkMonohue said:

Ack. Pedantry inbound. This drives me nuts. Taco Bell is an establishment, not a food item; one no more "eats Taco Bell" than one reads a library.

Using a blanket statement like "I ate Taco Bell" clearly isn't meant to imply that you ate a Taco Bell restaurant.  It's meant to spare both you and the listener from the unnecessary detail of saying "I ate a Crunch Wrap Burrito Supreme and some Bell Beefer Nachos with a Baja Blue Blast for a beverage."

Saying "I ate Taco Bell" is like saying "I ate McDonald's."  In very few words, it accurately describes not only the general style of food, but also the distinct level of quality to be expected and the likely circumstances under which it was consumed.

Why Waste Time When Few Word Do Trick GIF - WhyWasteTime WhenFewWordDoTrick TheOffice GIFs

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/9/21 11:04 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Eh. Still grilling burgers when I get home. On the driveway, next to the inflatable kiddy pool. We classy. Sweaty, but classy. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/9/21 11:21 a.m.
Duke said:
DarkMonohue said:

To me, it's the same as "I ate Chinese food."

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/9/21 11:28 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:To me, it's the same as "I ate Chinese food."

Except leaving out "food" because it's Taco Bell.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 12:00 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

yeah man, but it's a dry heat - Hudson APC | Meme Generator

People who mock the phrase "but it's a dry heat" have never had the joy of sweat NOT evaporating, which makes you hotter because now you are being parboiled in your own juices, which makes you sweat harder, etc.

Yesterday I had the A/C running on a car in the shop, and the evaporator drain was a steady trickle.  Yikes.  I had a whole fifteen minutes after starting work before I was sticky and my clothes were wet.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 12:18 p.m.

May be a cartoon of text

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
7/9/21 12:25 p.m.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says '"That was amazing, Jason I've never heard such an accurate rendition of severa several cats getting run over by a lawnmower."'

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/9/21 12:26 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

OK, I'm officially jealous. Today is the first day in two weeks the humidity here has been under 75% and it feels amazig at 64% and 75* air temp.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
7/9/21 12:42 p.m.

May be an image of text that says 'Trying to leave the house with toddlers'

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 12:43 p.m.

All of you are Bob Costas. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 12:51 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Two interesting things to note.

Air conditioning was invented to remove humidity from factories/machine shops to prevent rusting of fresh bare metal.  Human comfort was a side effect.

Florida did not see any notable increases of population until the 1950s, when air conditioning in buildings started to become common.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/9/21 12:53 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

People who mock the phrase "but it's a dry heat" have never had the joy of sweat NOT evaporating, which makes you hotter because now you are being parboiled in your own juices, which makes you sweat harder, etc.

Yesterday I had the A/C running on a car in the shop, and the evaporator drain was a steady trickle.  Yikes.  I had a whole fifteen minutes after starting work before I was sticky and my clothes were wet.

I moved from northern California to central Ohio. I get it. Nobody here understands that I would rather have the California summers and the Ohio winters.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
7/9/21 12:53 p.m.

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'YOU ARE PARALYSED FROM THE NECK DOWN YOURH- ARCH- NEMESIS WALKS INTO THE ROOM BRANDISHING SWORD CAN CANIN TESTFOR YOU YOUMAY MAY 20'

1 ... 597 598 599 600 601 ... 1761

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R9KONzMbxXZdwdks0fjUJZHFx99ctdZcNyr6k44LdEnW2y4j5yYHozT6FkbrPjhs