1 ... 605 606 607 608 609 ... 1761
tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/16/21 9:47 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Calc II was the killer for me. I got a D the first time through. It just didn't click for me. A decent professor made all the difference the second time around.

I actually liked differential equations, but I'm weird. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/21 10:02 p.m.

*mumbles* I was the guy who never went to class/never did homework and figured it out during the math tests.  I mean, the test gives you the information you need, and math is pretty much self-explanatory, so it's basically open book.

this does not work for other subjects

minor confession: I really like those YouTube videos with weird math questions posed to students in other countries, that have simple but non-obvious answers.  Keeps the brain-muscle exercised

No Time
No Time SuperDork
7/16/21 11:46 p.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/17/21 5:35 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

If our math tests had been open book I would have had far less trouble. It was all the rote memorization of formulas that was difficult, not (necessarily) the concepts.  Memorization comes naturally with practiced use, so WHY make that a primary teaching method once you get above basic multiplication?  It's not like there are math emergencies where you have to solve a differential equation right now using only your golf pencil and a scrap of paper.  You can just look up the equation and make sure you have the terms right.

Meme unrelated:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/17/21 6:12 a.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/21 7:10 a.m.

I struggled with math all through my primary education. Everything else has easy.

Fourteen years later, I decided to go to college. I bought a workbook and did homework for an hour every night that I that I wasn't racing a horse. 

Obligatory unrelated meme:

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/21 7:39 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

*mumbles* I was the guy who never went to class/never did homework and figured it out during the math tests.  I mean, the test gives you the information you need, and math is pretty much self-explanatory, so it's basically open book.

this does not work for other subjects

minor confession: I really like those YouTube videos with weird math questions posed to students in other countries, that have simple but non-obvious answers.  Keeps the brain-muscle exercised

But we're you neat?

Smudge on a page? Trashcan. 

Eraser marks? Trashcan.

Columns not straight? Yep, trashcan.

Lucky for the rest of the world, she's dead. She can still vote but she can't teach. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/17/21 7:55 a.m.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/17/21 7:56 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/17/21 7:58 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/17/21 7:59 a.m.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
7/17/21 8:05 a.m.

Less Text in the Meme Thread. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/17/21 8:27 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Oh, if only that were true!

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/17/21 9:26 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/17/21 9:27 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/17/21 9:43 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/17/21 9:44 a.m.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/17/21 10:14 a.m.
Duke said:

Same thing here, but with farms. Everybody wanted a house out in the country. So when farms came up for sale, developers would buy them, split all the road frontage into building lots and put houses on them, sell them off, and sell the rest back to farmers. Then in the spring and fall all the Karen's would call the county because the farmers had the audacity to spread manure on their fields. Or because tillage and harvest caused so much dust. Or because they were spraying chemicals. It got to the point that the county put up signs warning people of the realities of living in rural areas. Ironically, so many people wanted to live "out of town" that all the country lots had to be small and butt up against each other, just like in town.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/17/21 12:12 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

He looks like he wants to be featured in an Electric Six music video.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
7/17/21 12:14 p.m.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'WHEN YOU'VE BEEN RELEASED FROM FACEBOOK JAIL KNOWING FULL WELL THAT YOU HAVEN'T BEEN REHABILITATED AND WILL REOFFEND'

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
7/17/21 12:17 p.m.

I think I've told this story before but our old neighbour used to rent out the upper level of his house. His place overlooks one of our paddocks. New tenant knocks on our door and tells us they moved in because they could sit on their deck and watch the horses then proceeded to ask us if we could do anything about the horse smell.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/17/21 2:30 p.m.

I would gladly live next to an airport.  Fornicating smelly skydivers would just be a bonus.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/17/21 2:44 p.m.

I had to sign releases when I got my place because we are in a flight line for joint base Andrews.  Military transports are noisy. So are ospreys. We are far enough out they are high enough that it pretty much never wakes me up 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
7/17/21 2:53 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

I had to sign releases when I got my place because we are in a flight line for joint base Andrews.  Military transports are noisy. So are ospreys. We are far enough out they are high enough that it pretty much never wakes me up 

Having been stationed at Andrews, the flights aren't the problem, its the Reservist pilots firing rounds into civilian buildings.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/17/21 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I'm close to the Lewis University Airport in Romeoville, IL.  Three times today I'm "bothered" by Fifi flying around.  

It was so loud I heard it rumble over my gas weed wacker.  (JK - it was sweet)

1 ... 605 606 607 608 609 ... 1761

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jpwej9I3VVfXvbooEHoN0ZDtTdVvpC8h4Cna5IakhfSYnmMbX8mTKr6iF1XJb7Rq