1 ... 645 646 647 648 649 ... 1737
Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 8:35 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I figure small at two locations or less. The quality is frequently widely varied from one small restaurant to another. Sometimes you can tell how good they are by how full their parking lot is, but if it's a one-horse town, that may not be a good indicator.

While the chains are not usually the absolute best, their employees are at least held to a standard and you know what you are getting before you walk in the door. It's the reason McDonalds sells 900 million Big Macs a year. A Big Mac in San Francisco tastes exactly like a Big Mac in New York, or Charleston SC. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

I try not to just walk in anywhere on vacations. Stop for gas, and ask a couple people where to go first. We all have places we would and wouldn't recommend and most people are happy to share both. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
8/24/21 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, that place was recommended by the desk jockey at the hotel we were staying in. Sometimes, in a small town, they just don't know what good restaurant food is.

Dammit Jim I'm a desk jockey not an HR rep - Dr. McCoy | Meme Generator

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/24/21 9:18 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

I figure small at two locations or less. The quality is frequently widely varied from one small restaurant to another. Sometimes you can tell how good they are by how full their parking lot is, but if it's a one-horse town, that may not be a good indicator.

While the chains are not usually the absolute best, their employees are at least held to a standard and you know what you are getting before you walk in the door. It's the reason McDonalds sells 900 million Big Macs a year. A Big Mac in San Francisco tastes exactly like a Big Mac in New York, or Charleston SC. 

I can tell you the big mac and the chickie nuggies are the same from Hong Kong to Indianapolis. The sauces offered though...... that's a different story.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/24/21 9:51 a.m.
Stampie said:
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

It took a little time to get Jodi comfortable with doing it but once we did she never wanted to go back to a chain with few exceptions. 

My mind went in a totally different direction.

That's another set of stories for a different group lol. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/24/21 9:59 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/21 10:02 a.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/24/21 10:04 a.m.

Everyone has their own idea of a great restaurant.  Pictures below is my friend TJ's ideal diner meal.

I prefer Olive Garden.

Pretend this is on the picture top make it a meme...

NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!  FINE DINING!

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 11:39 a.m.

Post image

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/24/21 11:57 a.m.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/24/21 11:57 a.m.

Not really a meme, butt...

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/21 12:04 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/21 12:05 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/24/21 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Toyman01 + Sized and
8/24/21 12:25 p.m.

You sure better check both ways before leaving a green around here. If not, you'll end up dead. 

ME WAITING FOR THE LIGHT GUY HOLDING TO TURN GREEN CARDBOARD SIGN - )

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/24/21 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Does that work for you?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/21 1:03 p.m.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/21 1:49 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

You sure better check both ways before leaving a green around here. If not, you'll end up dead. 

ME WAITING FOR THE LIGHT GUY HOLDING TO TURN GREEN CARDBOARD SIGN - )

This is soooo true.  Why is that?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/24/21 2:55 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Don't get me wrong, I like mom and pop places too. But I have had some spectacularly terrible meals at some of them, and usually at a time and place when it would have been much much nicer to settle for pleasant mediocrity.

I'm all for finding that perfect little hole in the wall. The only place in town where I will get subs is a case in point.

But you don't always have that luxury.  Not everything needs to be a berking adventure.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/24/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 + Sized and :

Or, sometimes, their cousin / aunt / whatever owns a restaurant, and they send everybody there regardless of quality.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/24/21 3:12 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 3:53 p.m.
Stampie said:

It took a little time to get Jodi comfortable with doing it but once we did she never wanted to go back to a chain with few exceptions. 

My mind went in a totally different direction.

That's another set of stories for a different group lol. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/24/21 4:22 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to ShawnG :

Don't get me wrong, I like mom and pop places too. But I have had some spectacularly terrible meals at some of them, and usually at a time and place when it would have been much much nicer to settle for pleasant mediocrity.

I'm all for finding that perfect little hole in the wall. The only place in town where I will get subs is a case in point.

But you don't always have that luxury.  Not everything needs to be a berking adventure.

And I actually agree with this. Hence this part of my rant: 

they have their place. Their place is a random town in the middle of nowhere; you've stopped for the night at a hotel and you see that there is one of the above walking distance from said hotel. You go there, get a plate of hot brown - it doesn't matter if its pasta, or meat, sandwich or soup, all it is is salty, hot, and varying shades of brown. How it got hot is irrelevant (deep fryer or microwave), why there are no plants outside of wheat, corn, and potatoes is even less relevant. It is hot, brown, and in front of you. 

You know exactly what you're getting. Hot Brown. You leave satisfied in that it was exactly what you were expecting: slightly overpriced, mildly disappointing, Hot Brown food. For the time you were there, you didn't know if you were in St. Cloud, MN, Panama City, FL, or Logan, UT. You were just in America, eating American food. 

When you've been in the car for 8 hours, and you just want a beer and food in your belly, this is what you do. You know what you're getting, and it is acceptable. 

(Another good thing to do in this situation is to go to a grocery store and hit up their deli, usually they'll have some potatoes and fried chicken or a rotisserie chicken that is perfectly acceptable, cheap, and you can get some local beer. No, not as nice to eat in the hotel room, but if it isn't on the company card it is a lot cheaper) 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/24/21 5:35 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/24/21 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

1 ... 645 646 647 648 649 ... 1737

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mOLhiL80tzv6XvZ8SGfjDzrN4jiFfgekue0V4RCFvthWFWY7FXTI0aiYSfLUpqRL