1 ... 804 805 806 807 808 ... 1735
Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
1/6/22 10:26 a.m.

May be an image of text that says 'I just flipped our microwave on it's side, and he absolutely loves it'

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/6/22 11:56 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

They shimmed the worn out bearings with a chunk of belt leather. I hated that dreary,  unfulfilling book with a passion.  But I remember being thoroughly engrossed in that roadside repair.

You can go way down a rabbit hole on youtube.  I was watching one where they replace the clutch in a heavy duty tuck on the side of the road.  Limited tools.  The guys get the transmission out... the clutch is gone.  They start the engine and with it running someone is laying under the truck using a rock to resurface the flywheel.  They get it all back together with a new (or used, I can't remember) clutch and are on their way.  

edit:

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/6/22 11:58 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
Appleseed said:

They shimmed the worn out bearings with a chunk of belt leather. I hated that dreary,  unfulfilling book with a passion.  But I remember being thoroughly engrossed in that roadside repair.

You can go way down a rabbit hole on youtube.  I was watching one where they replace the clutch in a heavy duty tuck in some 3rd world country on the side of the road.  Limited tools.  The guys get the transmission out... the clutch is gone.  They start the engine and with it running someone is laying under the truck using a rock to resurface the flywheel.  They get it all back together with a new (or used, I can't remember) clutch and are on their way.  

The guy who runs sevens with an LT1/T56 Camaro (not the new direct-injected LT1, the ol' Gen II OptiSpark LT1) had a video where they were at a dragstrip and were having issues with the clutch slipping and they dropped the transmission out, his father grabbed a big rock off the ground and rubbed it all over the friction material, they put it back together and went out and set the GM stick-shift world record with like a 7.40 in the quarter mile.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/22 12:16 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

This one's for you Wally:

I'm stealing this. Thank You 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/6/22 12:16 p.m.
tuna55 said:
Appleseed said:

I did that on audiobook. I remember getting to work one day after listening on the commute, and being so depressed that I was not able to get out of the car right away.

It was definitely depressing.  However, I was amused to find out the movie version was banned in the Soviet Union because it showed that even poor people in America could afford a car.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/22 12:45 p.m.

My grandfather had Model Ts for a long time.  He talked about buying one that ran great when he got it, but started making noise a couple of weeks later.  Pulled the engine down and found pieces of hog hide where the poured babbitt used to be.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/22 1:15 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Appleseed said:

You can go way down a rabbit hole on youtube.  I was watching one where they replace the clutch in a heavy duty tuck on the side of the road.  Limited tools.  The guys get the transmission out... the clutch is gone.  They start the engine and with it running someone is laying under the truck using a rock to resurface the flywheel.  They get it all back together with a new (or used, I can't remember) clutch and are on their way.  

edit:

I do enjoy watching the Pakistanis repair and manufacture stuff with nothing but a sledge, a rock, and a funky L-shaped socket. But holy cracks in a flywheel! surprise

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/6/22 1:39 p.m.

May be an image of text that says 'KID ROCK IS THE DURST FRED TED NUGENTS OF'

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/6/22 2:01 p.m.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/6/22 2:50 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:
Jesse Ransom said:
Recon1342 said:

Much like performing CPR is to be done to the tune of "Another One Bites the Dust".

(Which, by the way, is absolutely the correct pace for chest compressions...)

Rhythmically correct, perhaps, but it does seem somehow like exactly the wrong message

I always heard "Staying Alive"

The chances of surviving an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest with CPR only (No AED available) hover around the 4% range. I'm a realist. 

daeman
daeman Dork
1/6/22 3:24 p.m.

I remember  grandma telling me about 'the T' they had when she was younger. Apparently something in the steering  would get all lose and to fix it they'd take a penny (Australian  penny was copper , about 1 ¼") and bash it with a rock or hammer and then knock it into place to tighten it in for a while. She was forever 'fixing things up on the farm with bits of bailing twine or fencing  wire.

Unrelated  meme:

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/22 4:00 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

The chances of surviving an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest with CPR only (No AED available) hover around the 4% range. I'm a realist. 

The doctor told me that even if I had done it right it was still mostly just busywork to keep people occupied until the ambulance got there.  I was surprised to hear that given how much time is spent teaching it to is. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/6/22 4:10 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:
Recon1342 said:

The doctor told me that even if I had done it right it was still mostly just busywork to keep people occupied until the ambulance got there.  I was surprised to hear that given how much time is spent teaching it to is. 

During my 4 year stint in the ER I went 0 for 16 in the CPR department.  That was with defibrillators, drugs, oxygen, and the whole shebang.  When it's your time, it's very much your time.  (exceptions being VERY recent drowning or electrocution).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/22 4:23 p.m.

I learned my CPR from lifeguard training in the 80s, where it seemed to be expected to work. Now every time I have to recertify dry-land CPR, they've changed the rules. They've even changed ABC to CAB.

Someone else can make the meme - is "air, fuel and spark" the automotive equivalent of "airway, breathing and circulation"? I think it is.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/6/22 4:25 p.m.

too many words, not enough pikturs

May be an image of ‎text that says '‎Scotty, don't beam me up yet. I'm taking ن Sh/‎'‎

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/6/22 4:26 p.m.

May be an image of text that says 'The average hotdog machine will have 547 547,500 wieners in it and catch 4 277, gallons of juice in its trap during its lifetime HOT DOGS JUST LIKE YOUR MOM'

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/22 4:34 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

That seems to suggest that around 125 hot dogs will yield a gallon of juice.  That is around 1oz per hot dog, almost a shot glass full.

Weiners, of course, yield about 10cc of juice each. laugh

daeman
daeman Dork
1/6/22 4:36 p.m.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/6/22 4:37 p.m.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/22 5:26 p.m.

AT 7-ELEVEN
I ALWAYS WANT TO ASK:
"HOW MANY MILES... ...ON THAT SMOKY BIG BITE?" | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/6/22 5:43 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

Post image

Back before I was independently wealthy I used to race 4G32's that had head cracking problems and always reused the head gaskets.

They were $11 each.  Who could afford that?

Not a meme but a great episode

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/6/22 7:33 p.m.
bobzilla said:

too many words, not enough pikturs

May be an image of ‎text that says '‎Scotty, don't beam me up yet. I'm taking ن Sh/‎'‎

Bah!

Toyman!
1/6/22 7:43 p.m.

johndej
johndej Dork
1/6/22 7:51 p.m.

Toyman!
1/6/22 8:05 p.m.

1 ... 804 805 806 807 808 ... 1735

You'll need to log in to post.