?

Corn, he can eat the whole ear.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/22 9:52 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
Steve_Jones said:

May be an image of text that says 'Four engineers get into a car. The car car won't start. The Mechanical engineer says: "It's a broken starter". The Electrical engineer says: "Dead battery". The Chemical engineer says: "Impurities in the gasoline". The IT engineer says: "Hey guys, have an idea how about we all get out of the car and get back in"'

At least the IT guy is searching for more information about the problem before taking a hipshot guess and asserting it's the truth!

We all laugh, but I literally had to do this in our Mini while on vacation last week.

It's *conceivable* that my wife had something in her bag that was poking her key fob, but when I got back in after hopping out to go into a store (I took my key with  me), the Mini had zero response to the the Start button.

No start. No "you don't have your foot on the clutch so I'm just going to wake up the dash". No complaints of key not present. Just zero response.

I got out, locked the car, unlocked the car, got back in (again with her and her key inside the whole time), and everything returned to normal. She did not actually do anything with her bag or key 'til all this was over.

I know what they say about insanity by trying it again, but one time a user had rebooted 5 times already before I got the call. "Please go ahead and reboot again." Problem solved. Dunno.. computers are themselves insane?

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/21/22 10:54 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

All bets are off when you make rocks think by zapping them with electricity...

meme unrelated-

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/21/22 11:05 p.m.
11GTCS said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Don’t forget Mr. Green Jeans he was on that show too!  Edit for meme

That was Mr.Green Jeans in the 1970s when he was wearing a leisure suit.  Back when I was watching the show, he was wearing overalls (but our TV was black and white, so I can only assume they were green overalls.  wink )

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
4/22/22 12:46 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

9/8 truly special, 113% music:  Dave Brubeck Quartet, Blue Rondo a la Turk.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/22/22 2:17 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/22/22 5:51 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/22/22 7:06 a.m.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/22/22 7:54 a.m.
NickD said:

Vermin @ AdvRider said it best:

I had never listened to country music prior to that. I was forced to listen to it in the sweltering cab of a truck that smelt of sweat, Strohs Beer, and cheap stogies. The songs that came out of that dusty dashboard speaker took me away. It was created by people that had survived the depression and never even knew it happened because their poverty was no different regardless of what Wall Street was up to. They came to town after WW2 looking for jobs in the big cities like the GM Hydromatic plant in Ypsilanti Michigan. They sang their hearts out. They sang about love, loosing the life they knew, pain and glory, there was a richness and depth to their "3 chords and the truth" style. They believed if your ex didn't have a restraining order on you it wasn't real love to begin with. In those songs love would destroy you when it inevitably failed.
In a way their exodus from the hills was similar to my own. I was raised on a farm as a young lad and eventually moved to the big city That particular paradigm/value shift staggered me and has somehow kept me permanently out of sync with my surroundings.

White boy blues primer, do yourself a favor and download this stuff (don't worry about royalties the artists are mostly dead and the rich cats at Sony/BMG wont even sue you over these songs just stay away from Gwen Stefani) grab a six pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon turn down the lights and get a good misery waller goin.

Ramblin' Man-Hank Williams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi9GuQofDLc
should be advriders theme song ignore lame video but listen to cool song)
Long Black Veil-Lefty Frizzell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50k18gL76AU)
Big in Vegas- Buck Owens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-kOrvFeTCQ&feature=related)
What have you got planned tonight Diana?-Merle Haggard
Faded Love-Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys possibly the best song ever written played by the best band ever assembled (he wrote this tune when he was a field hand at the age of 14)
Cold hard facts of life-Porter Wagoner (it has become politically incorrect, as of late, to stab your wife and her lover to death but it was a different place and time)
This is part of a subgenre of country music called psychobilly of which Porter was a master, his song "Rubber Room" is also tremendous.
Take an old cold tater and wait- Jimmy Dickens
Roses for momma/Teddy Bear-Red Sovine
Kansas city star- Roger Miller

This is basically po' folks group therapy.

Be careful not to listen to them right in a row the intensity of 'em could mess up your DNA. In the old days they had what you call "emotions" just wipe the saline solution off your cheek with your sleeve and blame allergies. This is before Pfizer, and Merck created capsules designed to obliterate emotions so they would not intrude on your ability to produce. Whatever happens, do not turn away from the television pill ads and notice that the only industry that is currently thriving are the pill pushers at CVS, RiteAid and Walgreens that are popping up on every corner. Produce so you can consume, consume so you can be happy, take a pill when it falls apart, then repeat one more time but faster, it is the American Dream.

I suppose if you where born and raised within spittin distance of a T.G.I.F. or a Bed, Bath and Beyond, then Kenny Chesney and his bland ass music will work fine but I need to keep it hard core down to the bone hurtin music. The only hurting Kenny Chesney does is when he wears his flip flops to the beach and stubs his toe on his beer cooler.

I like the pain it makes me feel alive. That is where Buck Owens and Merle Haggard come in.

Rant over

Obligatory related meme wink :

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/22/22 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

This may be the best post of the year so far. 

Thank you!!!

Obligatory meme:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/22/22 8:34 a.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/22/22 10:08 a.m.

May be an image of text that says 'Don't. Don't DOHT Don't DON'T'

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/22/22 10:09 a.m.

Thanks for posting that. I wish I'd stolen it myself. A coworker went to a Charlie Crocker / Vincent Neil Emerson show last night, and I'm disappointed I couldn't go. Real stuff.

Obligatory meme. Related. Timely. Probably a repeat. Possibly stolen.

If you need words on the picture because you can't already hear them in your head, this is not the meme you're looking for. 

Happy Friday. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/22/22 10:16 a.m.
NickD said:

The thing is, there is Country music (as described in the long essay posted by HungaryBill) which is fantastic stuff with great songwriting, real emotion, and frequently bleak lyrics. This is what Nashville originally became famous for, but it was also produced in Memphis, Austin, and a number of places across the Midwest and West, with a prominent hotspot around Bakersfield, CA.  Primarily written between 1950-1975, but there was real Country music made after that and it is still being made today.  You just have to look for it a little harder.

Then there are Pop Country (1975ish to 2000ish) and Bro Country (2000ish to present), which are both lowest-common-denominator commodity products manufactured and distributed by the Nashville music factory.  The first is the equivalent of Bubblegum Pop, pretty low quality but fairly innocuous.  The second is a poser image marketed to tattooed flatbillers who would otherwise be listening to rap if they lived in more urbanized areas.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/22 10:21 a.m.

I regret I can only give you one thumb up.

For energy efficiency, Americans deserve a big thumbs-up | Grist

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/22/22 10:24 a.m.

DarkMonohue
4/22/22 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Nailed it.

And now I have to post another stolen meme. 

DarkMonohue
4/22/22 10:41 a.m.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/22 10:56 a.m.

Then there is Cowpunk. Quite a few West Coast punk bands had country influences in their music. The X, Social Distortion, etc.

This is a good one, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnOiKB5j0bA

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/22/22 11:06 a.m.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/22/22 12:01 p.m.

Modern country music with a proper story

by a real storyteller.  

1 ... 924 925 926 927 928 ... 1732

You'll need to log in to post.