1 ... 927 928 929 930 931 ... 1732
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/22 7:30 p.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/23/22 7:40 p.m.
DjGreggieP said:

Had to tell my wife to stop talking E36 M3 about the truck the other day, otherwise it was going to get worse and worse.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/23/22 7:51 p.m.
Duke said:

The thing is, there is Country music (as described in the long essay posted by HungaryBill) which is fantastic stuff with great songwriting, real emotion, and frequently bleak lyrics. This is what Nashville originally became famous for, but it was also produced in Memphis, Austin, and a number of places across the Midwest and West, with a prominent hotspot around Bakersfield, CA.  Primarily written between 1950-1975, but there was real Country music made after that and it is still being made today.  You just have to look for it a little harder.

Then there are Pop Country (1975ish to 2000ish) and Bro Country (2000ish to present), which are both lowest-common-denominator commodity products manufactured and distributed by the Nashville music factory.  The first is the equivalent of Bubblegum Pop, pretty low quality but fairly innocuous.  The second is a poser image marketed to tattooed flatbillers who would otherwise be listening to rap if they lived in more urbanized areas.

Anyone here who is discussing country music, whether they like it or not, needs to watch the Ken Burns documentary on it.  Its... amazing.  Incredibly eye opening, even for someone like me that grew up on country music.

I just wish he had gone a little bit further into the present and expressed the split between Nashville Pop and real country music.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/22 7:59 p.m.
Stampie said:

Difficulty:

Difficulty:

Probably closer to 4x power...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/23/22 8:36 p.m.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
4/23/22 9:10 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Duke said:

The thing is, there is Country music (as described in the long essay posted by HungaryBill) which is fantastic stuff with great songwriting, real emotion, and frequently bleak lyrics. This is what Nashville originally became famous for, but it was also produced in Memphis, Austin, and a number of places across the Midwest and West, with a prominent hotspot around Bakersfield, CA.  Primarily written between 1950-1975, but there was real Country music made after that and it is still being made today.  You just have to look for it a little harder.

Then there are Pop Country (1975ish to 2000ish) and Bro Country (2000ish to present), which are both lowest-common-denominator commodity products manufactured and distributed by the Nashville music factory.  The first is the equivalent of Bubblegum Pop, pretty low quality but fairly innocuous.  The second is a poser image marketed to tattooed flatbillers who would otherwise be listening to rap if they lived in more urbanized areas.

Anyone here who is discussing country music, whether they like it or not, needs to watch the Ken Burns documentary on it.  Its... amazing.  Incredibly eye opening, even for someone like me that grew up on country music.

I just wish he had gone a little bit further into the present and expressed the split between Nashville Pop and real country music.

Here's the thing with a lot of today's Country (with its inception all the way back in the '80s) whether people think of it on their own or have to wait for it to be pointed out to them: Way too much of it is Identity Music or at least a lot of them are Identity Songs. Every genre of music with lyrics has some Identity Music except maybe Alternative. Identity Songs are about the individual's identity and that of at least some of their fans or their idealized fan. They are often very specific, with Country being the most specific in general. Brand of truck. Brand of beer. U.S. state. If you do not share the identity you are much less likely to like the song. Again, other genres do it too. Metal has all those songs about headbanging, Punk has the ones that are "we this" and "we that" like it's a movement, and of course Hip Hop is well known for its fair share of Identity Music so much that Identity Music is where "I like everything but Country and Rap" comes from. So that person probably would even like Country and Rap if they heard more songs from those genres that weren't Identity Music. It seems that Hip Hop has moved away from Identity Music in recent years whereas Nu Country has doubled down on it -- and that's why you don't hear as many people say "I like everything but Country and Rap" anymore.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/23/22 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/23/22 9:19 p.m.

4/23/22 9:22 p.m.

4/23/22 9:24 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/23/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) :

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/23/22 9:55 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) :

Really? Because I think it needs more Amber Turd. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/23/22 9:56 p.m.
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) said:

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/23/22 11:01 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/24/22 12:42 a.m.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/24/22 3:26 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/24/22 7:20 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/22 8:58 a.m.

OK, who did this?

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/24/22 9:28 a.m.
914Driver said:

OK, who did this?

https://yarchive.net/car/hotrod_lawnmowers.html

You outta seen the Gravely tractor from Hell we built to clear our first yard. We bought a HUD repo house whose yard had reverted to woods. A friend had an old Gravely that did not run which was donated to the effort. After welding the wheels on to replace the rusted off nuts, the hotrodding began. A little port work, homemade manifold, 32 mm Mikuni carb, header and megaphone and a bit more compression on the old side valve flathead. And after the first attempt at starting it, a hopped up starter motor :-) Fuel was 20% nitro in methanol. IN the blade arena, the front third of the blade housing fell to the acetylene torch. About 5 lbs of steel was welded to the blade for a bit more inertia. This lot contained mostly bramble with blackberry thorns and trees up to about three inches in diameter. Procedure was to don a set of duck canvass ironworker's coveralls and then a second pair, some GI boots, goggles, a gas mask and ear plugs. Crank that sucker, set the throttle to bellow, trip the drive clutch and let the thing wade into the mess. Dodging the falling trees was the worst part. Dodging the thing when it bounced up in the air was a close second. When it broke through the other side and just before it ate the neighboor's dog, rush up and pull the clutch. I cleared that lot in about 8 hours. My wife still carries a picture in her wallet of my operating that thing :-)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/22 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Of course the tow has more HP, but the racer'1/4 the weight.  =~ )

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/24/22 10:53 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/24/22 11:51 a.m.

Thank God this forum isn't like that

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/24/22 12:17 p.m.

WHARRGARBL / Sprinkler Dog | Know Your Meme

Mr_Asa