1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/28/18 3:21 p.m.

So we are all sports car people, and every single one of us is familiar with the stereotype of people getting a sports car because of a mid-life crisis issue.  

There are also stories of many, many other things people do when they hit in the 50 range.

Ever wonder why that happens?

I have a theory- death and mortality.  As many of us move into the 50 range, our parents are getting pretty darned old, and we see them sick and dying off.  Of course, that includes our friends and their parents, our aunts and uncles, and other people.

When you see people who were your parents, friends of parents, etc start to pass, I think we all take a good long look at our own lives.  Some people see a very nice life, with a lot of things done that were really fun.  On the other hand, others don't.  They don't see a meaningful career, they don't see that fun car stuff that they dreamed about, etc.  So in the interest of making up for that, people buy the sports cars, the Harley, do the daring things, and a whole host of other things that people had not done earlier in life.

Anyway, that's my theory.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/18 3:44 p.m.

I think your opinion is probably pretty accurate.  When I left MD for Detroit in 1993, the best way I could explain how I felt about it was "sure my friends and family are here, and I could have a good life here.  But 25 years from now, I don't want to be the fat bald guy sitting on the front step wishing I had taken that chance."

And here we are, 25 years later.  The auto industry has provided me an interesting career and I've seen a lot of places around the world on someone else's dime.

And I still want a Corvette.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/28/18 4:25 p.m.

I think it's not just seeing the older generations pass away, but that in combination with seeing those our age and younger who die unexpectedly, or from aggressive disease/cancer that brings home the realization that our days are truly numbered. Every day we live we are closer to that unknown number. That old addage of "live in the moment" starts to take on a new relevance as we get closer to an age where we see ourselves not being physically able to realize the dreams of our youth. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/28/18 6:09 p.m.

Part of it has to do with your own kids, too. I’m 53 and both my kids are pretty much adults and no longer my responsibility except in emergencies. I no longer have to chauffeur or coach or tutor. They can cook for themselves and do their own laundry. 

That frees up a lot of time, energy, and money for things like sports cars. For me it’s not so much fear of getting old so much as cashing in on deferred desires. 

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
7/28/18 6:18 p.m.

Based on the comments here I've been having a mid life crisis since I was in my twenties. I'm just about to turn 73!

My high school yearbook quoted my philosophy as "eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you may die". cheeky

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/18 6:52 p.m.

The older I get the less I worry about death & more I’m concerned about quality of life. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/28/18 7:09 p.m.

At the age of 30 I had a '90 Miata, '88 MR2 SC and a '97 240sx (essentially 3 rwd 2-seat cars) all at the same time. 

I was living with a 5ft tall, 25 yr old blonde of loose moral fiber.  

If I wasn't autox'ing on the weekend then I was racing sailboats or downhill skiing.  

Life was good!

At 50 I am married to a responsible school teacher and have a nearly 4yr old and a 6 month old.  Tomorrow morning I take the nearly 4yr sailboat racing for the first time.  

Life is great! 

I plan to work this game of life different than most people, HA.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/28/18 7:18 p.m.

I was 36 when I bought the FR-S. It was a midlife crisis car. 36 is pretty much mid-life for my family. I don't regret it one bit.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
7/28/18 8:01 p.m.

I listened to my dad talk about "getting an MGB someday" for my entire life, and now it's too late for him. That's a big part of the reason I bought my MGB GT, in spite of the fact that I already had too many cars and not enough time or energy.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/28/18 8:15 p.m.

I quit active racing when I was 35, had a family to raise and a house to buy.    All done , then at 67 I did a couple track days.  Then got more serious, track days, ice racing, a few hill climbs and autocross.   8 years later I decided it was time to quit.  Did that for 6 years.    I just bought a 2018 FiST.   Thoughts of doing something performance wise crosses my mind but then I think, nah, your too old.     Time will tell.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/28/18 9:14 p.m.

My sister died at 47 years of age and I told myself I’m stepping up enjoying life since it’s too short.  I was looking at sports cars.

But life happened with two kids and we put our energy towards other areas.  Life is good - the oldest just picked up a PhD and we drove across the country visiting 6 national parks along with one day at Disneyland this summer.  

Life is short - enjoy the ride.  

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/18 9:27 p.m.
Duke said:

Part of it has to do with your own kids, too. I’m 53 and both my kids are pretty much adults and no longer my responsibility except in emergencies. I no longer have to chauffeur or coach or tutor. They can cook for themselves and do their own laundry. 

That frees up a lot of time, energy, and money for things like sports cars. For me it’s not so much fear of getting old so much as cashing in on deferred desires. 

this is what I was going to say. Kids are gone, finances are good, you are still young enough to enjoy a sports car/motorcycle/boat/airplane.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
7/28/18 9:42 p.m.

I was thinking along the lines of what Duke and Mad Machine and others said. At 50, the kids are grown and on their own, finances are more than it was when I was younger plus less drain from the kids. Extra funding and less drain on the funding means I finally get to have some of the toys I've yearned for. Now if I could only squeeze in more time for the toys without affecting the finance end I would be a happy camper. Hit full retirement age in 6 years, just hope I'm in good enough shape to enjoy it.

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
7/28/18 10:29 p.m.

In my mid thirties,  I watched my father go down hill with Alzheimers - he was 60 when diagnosed.  I decided it was time to go racing despite having a wife and young son and being early in my working career. I dont think this was mid life crisis - I think it was a painful reminder to be realistic about the future. You really dont know what might develop - good or bad. So while preparing for the future, tis good to live today as well.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/18 11:04 p.m.

My racing partner in crime had a stroke last year at 43. Hit me really hard. He is just a year older than me and will never drive or probably work or speak right ever again. When you trade in a 320HP MR2 for a 430 hp miata hard to call it a mid life crisis. I view it as my arsenals is just getting stronger.

WilD
WilD Dork
7/29/18 2:25 p.m.

I think midlife crisis is a somewhat disrespectful term.  At some point, we all need to evaluate what we are doing and if we are living the life we want.  It's only a crisis if we never figure it out.   I'm well short of 50, but my mother recently passed away from cancer, and I have been thinking more about this since her diagnosis a few years ago.  It kind of sucks to put off living until later when you might not live to see later.

I think my mother lived a good life despite passing relatively young.  I am not sure I am entirely happy though.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/29/18 3:15 p.m.

In reply to WilD :

Could be, but it's what pop culture calls it.

BTW, some of you think that you all continuously live in a mid-life crisis, and you are not who are the ones looking back on your life and questioning what you've been doing.  

Some people have this crisis, and think that they need to do *stuff* to make up for what they think.  Others (many here) don't, as they've done what they wanted early on, have have done it for many years.

All I'm theorizing is what triggers this "crisis"- and and I agree with the notion of it's being a combination of the mortality of your parents (and their generation) and your kids not needing you anymore.  Kind of leaves an empty feeling, in some.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
7/29/18 3:17 p.m.

I went racing at 44 after one of my friends commented after I said "One day I need to try racing." His response was "One day you'll be too old." Did that for 11 years and got out too early. The one event that had a lasting effect on how I think was going under the knife for a triple heart bypass at 58. Makes you realize you're only here for a finite amount of time. Use it well.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/18 4:27 p.m.

I had a Z31 at 16 ('98)

Sometimes it pains me to think I've how much I've spent on the automotive hobby the last 20 years.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/29/18 5:34 p.m.

ECM's comment about the mortality of schoolmates somewhat hit home for me.  In recent years I've had a few friends I graduated high school with pass on from various health issues. Cancer. Heart attack. Etc.  My house is paid off. I put away a pretty hefty amount into retirement savings. I see no reason why not to play a bit with some of what's left. At 48 and with a family history of cancer and a complete lack of faith in the current medical system, there are no guarantees. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/29/18 6:01 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver : in my 20’s I was landing on bouncing rolling Aircraft  carriers at night in bad weather.   Or flying an unarmed airplane into hostile territory waiting to be shot at. 

After that I raced sports cars wheel to wheel.  out-braking into the tight corner or passing on the high side at 150 + mph 

In my late 50’s I designed  and. built my own house, using the same hands that did that stuff earlier. 

I’m not done yet.  I’m going to build another 150+ race car to go wheel to wheel racing with.  

Paul Newman raced into his 80’s and I know of others.  

My goal is to live my life fully and st the last moment come sliding sideways out of control into my grave site.  Life is for living. It’s not a death wish, it’s a life well enjoyed wish 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/29/18 6:02 p.m.

I think it just depends on when you feel like you have been being too conservative or when funding finally allows it. People around you view it as a crisis but really its just the decision to go out and spend on yourself instead of "setting it aside for retirement."  

At 25 I bought a Viper it was a little too much. Today at 30 I drive a 15 Mustang GT because it can do everything I need each day and is within my price range for easy affordability. Better than driving a Civic because I want to be wealthy one day. 

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/29/18 6:38 p.m.

I think in a lot of cases, it  has nothing to do with impending mortality at all. As others have said, when you hit your 50s, your kids are usually launched, you're in your prime earning years, so you have money and time like never before. It really frosted me when people would see my sports cars and make snide midlife crisis remarks. I've always had enthusiast cars, but they tended to be 4 doors because I was a responsible adult who needed to haul my family around. Men shouldn't be denigrated for being responsible citizens. I didn't buy a sports car because of 'male menopause' (the other favourite of the snide brigade) - it was something I've always done, and will continue to do. 

Aging is mandatory - growing up is optional!

Gary
Gary SuperDork
7/29/18 7:11 p.m.

For me, I didn't consider it a mid-life crisis when I bought my Miata in 2000 (when I was 51 and change). I felt like I was finally able to afford it after dumping so much into my retirement accounts for so many years. I personally don't believe in the theory of mid-life crises. Maybe for some, but not me. Now, I'm a few months shy of 70 (better than saying I'm 69), and I'm still wondering if I should pick up one of the many TR6's locally on CL, or the Bugeye, or the beautiful '66 MGB-GT listed under "Triumph." I'm not trying to pretend to be somebody younger than I really am. I'm just contemplating whether or not I should now buy what I postponed buying over the years so that I could be in the excellent financial position I'm in now. No hurry, except for the grim reaper over my shoulder. (Although it probably would've been a wise financial move to buy a 356 or a Pagoda back in 2000 instead of a Miata. But that's another story).

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/29/18 7:12 p.m.

I have that saying posted on the board above my desk.

sort of my motto.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AUpVlxhlCJ4keBQXuhGswY5K6fcONkQjyKkPbURRhKFM63LeHhvZOuUnHYJTN7zl