81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/5/09 9:54 a.m.

My son and I are going to Mid Ohio this weekend, Friday and Saturday, but we can not go on sunday. I got a weekend ticket with a paddoc pass so if anyone wants to go on Sunday let me know. The paddoc pass is a wrist band that they say is void if you cut it off but we may be able to work around that.

I live about 40 miles south of the track in Delaware.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
8/5/09 1:04 p.m.

I will be there Sunday on some super-duper guest passes along with Motorola and Boost Mobile. Paddock, hospitality tent and super seats (yet to be seen.)

If anyone cares, Danica will be at the Best Buy in Mansfield, Ohio Thursday afternoon at 3pm to sign autographs. Call the store for details.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
8/5/09 1:24 p.m.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/5/09 4:42 p.m.

She looks like she is about to eat your soul, and wear the remains as a crash helmet.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/09 4:48 p.m.

She looks ... uncomfortable.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
8/5/09 5:30 p.m.

Be sure to tell us what you think of the new GT2-class Corvettes. Mid-Ohio is their debut!

81gtv6
8/10/09 10:07 a.m.

What a great weekend.

On Thursday a couple of friends and myself went up to get a ride on the track in one of the two seat Indy cars and all I can say is WOW. The three of us are in the Ohio Army National Guard and one of my friends is a recruiter, he is the one that got us the ride. It really did not feel all that fast until we hit the turns and then hitting the brakes at the end of the back straight. Again all I can say is WOW. I am not a big Indy car fan, I like sports cars, but that was just awesome. Not as good as the driving class I took up there but very cool.

Back to the ALMS race, the Vettes came in 2nd and 4th, a very good start considering it was there first race in GT2. I was also impressed with the Rahal M3 cars, one came in 3rd, very good stuff. Ian, my son, was very happy the number 45 Fying Lizard car came in 1st in GT2. Hopefully next year we will get to see the new Jag and the Aston run, I think the Aston team was running a race in Germany.

This weekend is fast becoming my favorite event at Mid Ohio. I am always amazed at the time and effort the teams take to talk with the fans even when they are very busy. Ian has been able to sit in one of the Lizard cars, one of the Rissi f430 and a couple of the GT3 cars that were there. In 2007 Johannes van Overbeek gave ian the hat off his head because Ian had on a Lizard shirt and a Ferrari hat that we had just got signed by the Rissi drivers. van Overbeek said Ian should match. Then the next day, after the race we were looking at one of the Rissi cars one of the crew gave me a Rissi hat so that Ian and I would match. Ian is 6 and likes to take pictures of the cars while they are being worked on and most of the time one of the mechanics will invite us in to take a closer look at everything. They all seem like a great group of people.

Sorry for the long post but in my mind this was just about the perfect weekend. My son fell alseep in the car on the way home both days with a big smile on his face and we didn't have to deal with the huge crowd on Sunday.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
8/10/09 10:17 a.m.

I shoulda missed the Mom-in-Laws birthday palooza and just dealt with the backlash.....

81gtv6
8/10/09 12:33 p.m.

There is always next year.

YaNi
YaNi Reader
8/10/09 12:54 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Be sure to tell us what you think of the new GT2-class Corvettes. Mid-Ohio is their debut!

Still berkeleying loud!!! They aren't any quieter than the GT1 vette, easily the loudest NOISE (not a beautiful nsong like Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc.) at the track. Can you tell I can't stand Corvettes?

Not a bad debut, but they were almost half a second off the pace of Bergmeister/Long at the end, and the Porsche was on worn tires. A yellow with about 45 minutes left brought the vette back behind Pat Long in the 911. In the remainder of the race Long drove to over a 20 second lead.

The real fun doesn't start til the sun goes down. Good Times.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MNoBUtzttC06nTav02wdrRSq0MMGbG9c8NUm0o6dX2XZNFe7nkjiNZDztWhrxKsV