Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
6/19/16 10:09 a.m.

Hey All,

Last Tuesday, I wrote one of the most painful essays I've ever written on my Facebook page:

"Our cat Milhouse died today. For almost 18 years, this little mood-altering substance with paws cut a wide swath through the lives of my wife Robin, my stepdaughters Rachel and Natalie, and finally me. I never had a real pet before so I cannot believe how low I feel right now.

Milhouse never grew up. He acted like a kitten, possessing astounding energy and athleticism right up to the last few days. His kidneys started to fail and the doc said their function wasn't coming back so we had only one excruciatingly hard choice. Natalie (who was 10 when Milhouse came into her life), Robin, and I indulged him with one last "kitty time" session before he was euthanized. Since he had a saline IV drip going, he probably felt better than the last few days but that's no life for a cat like him.

Milhouse was a magnificent fighter, retiring with a record of 138-3. he had one frayed ear from a particularly tough battle with a cat that was probably twice his weight. He was a fine hunter, terrorizing the neighborhood rat and mouse population but always offering to share. We always demurred but somehow that didn't stop him from offering.

He enjoyed my Kitty Chiropractic treatments. I would cup his jaw and neck in my hands and lift him just off the floor. He would go limp and just hang, occasionally twisting a little to get the most out of his spinal adjustment. He always let me know when he was done by just placing a paw on my hand. I'd put him down and he always sauntered off with a look of satisfaction on his face.

One day, I was sitting at home and Milhouse squeaked like a mouse. When I told the girls what he did, they didn't believe me. For awhile I felt like Wilbur Post of "Mr Ed" fame. Wilbur was the only one who knew Ed (a horse, for you millennials out there) spoke because he wouldn't speak for anyone else but Wilbur. Finally, I figured out how to get him to squeak; first for my wife, then the girls. When he got positive attention for it, you couldn't shut him up. He was always a talker. Squeaking just added to his repertoire.

There were times I would be lying on our bed with a migraine, thrashing around trying to get comfortable. Milhouse would jump up and lay down next to me. Petting him would relax me and bring some relief so I could fall asleep and cure the headache. That's what I will miss most. He could always change my mood when I was down or not feeling well. He never did pay his chiropractic bill but in retrospect we traded services.

Robin and my stepdaughters showered much love and affection on him so he always enjoyed the company of humans. He lost his own mother at three weeks old so the girls compensated with hugs and kisses and belly rubs. When I came aboard, I added some roughhousing which he loved.

Milhouse was never interested in television. Not birds on Animal Planet. Not other cats. Except boxing. He watched boxing with me on HBO. One night, he imitated the fighters by rearing up on his hind legs and throwing a few "punches." That was a move I'd seen him do when protecting his turf.

In the last few months, Milhouse made friends with one of the other neighborhood cats. They'd meet up in the yard and go bounding off together on another adventure. I guess he missed the company of another cat since Paisley died. When it was Paisley's time to go, she wandered off as cats often do so Milhouse never knew what happened to her. He spent his last couple of years looking for Paisley. He began scratching at the laundry room door, wanting to go in for a look around. Of course he never found her but he never stopped wanting to look.

After the life left his little body, I took him back home and buried him under an acacia tree in the yard he defended zealously for almost 18 years. I didn't want him cremated or taken away. I didn't want strangers who never knew him to handle him after he died. He was our beloved mascot and a cat's cat. We all said one last goodbye, then I wrapped him in his little sheepskin sleeping pad. He now rests with his family at our home. He meant the world to us. As my first real pet, he set the bar high.

Just before Milhouse died, Robin saw his eyes widen. Perhaps it was the moment he realized his time was up. Maybe It was a last longing goodbye. Or maybe he finally found Paisley."

My wife was only half-kidding when she would say, "This cat better be immortal." Indeed, just one month before his kidneys started failing him, Milhouse pulled off an amazing feat. A hummingbird came into the house through the front door. While we were figuring out how to get him back out, Milhouse came into the room, leaped into the air and caught the hummingbird. Then he took the bird outside. How many cats could pull of a hummingbird air-snatch in their prime? Imagine making a catch at the wall in Dodger Stadium when you're like 87 years old.

Personally, I am just taken aback by how much grief there is in the house right now. Maybe it was the suddenness of his decline. Maybe we didn't have time to contemplate his passing, even though common sense says his time was growing short. No one ever warned me about this part of pet ownership. So I guess my question is, am I crazy or does everyone feels this way when a beloved pet dies?

Thank you for letting me ramble,

Jerry

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
6/19/16 10:46 a.m.

RIP furry friend.

Damn dusty in here......

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/19/16 12:18 p.m.

What a great cat and friend. And yeah, this part of having a pet is tough. Hang in there.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/19/16 2:20 p.m.

It's always tough. He sounds like a great companion. Our condolences.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/19/16 3:18 p.m.

RIP

18 is a long run.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/19/16 4:03 p.m.

RIP Millhouse (& Paisley).

Hal
Hal UltraDork
6/19/16 6:04 p.m.

No, you are not crazy. We all feel that way. Last year we lost our 3 cats the same way and they were also 17-18 years old. We had had two of them for their whole lives.

After a couple months we could not stand it any more so we got two little kittens and are hoping for another 18 years of being owned by a couple crazy cats.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
6/19/16 7:03 p.m.

Sorry for your loss, Jerry. Sounds like he was one awesome cat.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
6/19/16 8:27 p.m.

Sorry for your loss, sounds like a great cat.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
6/20/16 8:16 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: RIP Millhouse (& Paisley).

Paisley was a very sweet cat in her own right. She was three years older than Milhouse so she lorded it over him a little bit. Sometimes when he'd come over for a nuzzle, she'd get all testy with him.

One night, I'm watching TV. Milhouse goes over to nuzzle Paisley. She starts acting crabby. Milhouse gets up on his hind legs and hits her with a beautiful right cross square in the jaw. She was knocked completely off her pins. From that point on, She gave him more respect and appreciated his overtures of affection.

Unlike Milhouse, Paisley slowed down her last couple of years. However, Milhouse always deferred to her. When I let them in every morning, instead of the old mad dash for their respective food bowls, Milhouse would wait for her. He wouldn't start eating at his bowl until she was already at hers. We were really lucky to have them both.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
6/20/16 8:23 a.m.
Hal wrote: No, you are not crazy. We all feel that way. Last year we lost our 3 cats the same way and they were also 17-18 years old. We had had two of them for their whole lives. After a couple months we could not stand it any more so we got two little kittens and are hoping for another 18 years of being owned by a couple crazy cats.

You don't really own cats. Your cats have a staff. This post should make me a SuperDork and I can't think of a more fitting subject. At the rate I post, the next level is 3-5 years away.

Thanks everybody for the condolences. We're not sure when we will dip our toes back in the water. We want to get over the loss a bit so we can raise our next ones with open minds and hearts.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
6/20/16 10:28 a.m.

Like Hal said, you are not alone in feeling that way. We consider them family around our house. I find it strange when others don't.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
6/20/16 12:45 p.m.

When the doc told us there was no recourse, I caught myself thinking, Hey! It's only his kidneys! Let's get some parts!" My auto and home repair brain kicked in because the kidney deal was the only thing wrong with him. The rest of him was perfectly good cat. After all, I'm driving a car that's just short of 20 years old with almost 209K on the odo. If I can keep that car running great......right? Amazing what kind of stupid E36 M3 runs through your head in those moments.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
6/20/16 7:28 p.m.

I lost my cat (buddy) of 15 years two weeks ago. I didn't think it would be so hard to put him down and lay him to rest. I had my mom pass earlier in the year and I thought that would prepare me for any other loss. I was so wrong. Every day I open the door thinking he's going to be waiting at the door. Those little buggers snatch your heart. I feel your loss!!!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/21/16 8:09 a.m.

Sorry man.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
6/21/16 8:21 a.m.

I got all weepy reading that, I'm sorry for your loss. Our two cats are about 6 now, I know they will leave us eventually and that thought horrifys me. He sounds like he was an amazing family member.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/16 1:17 p.m.

So sorry for your loss. These crazy little balls of fur know how to get deep into your hearts.

When we met, my wife had an orange tabby named Sierra, a very sweet cat who made friends with my dog easily. She was my "gateway" cat as we now have 4. Sierra is now 14 and in early stages of renal failure. We give her subcutaneous fluids every other day and thankfully she takes them well. I know our time with her is limited so I give her as much love as she'll stand.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
6/21/16 1:24 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: I got all weepy reading that, I'm sorry for your loss. Our two cats are about 6 now, I know they will leave us eventually and that thought horrifys me. He sounds like he was an amazing family member.

Like Rusty said they do get under your skin. We're so used to having them around. When Milhouse arrived, my stepdaughters were 13 and 10. They're 31 and 28 so it's a considerable amount of time. Frankly, they can make us better people by appealing to "the better angels of our nature."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f852wSbgGWIPfeDxWmR3Lw9ZuweZNvYsjR8F8GogXQT4YoeOlQTRUWqBlfTxRpmJ