1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/23 1:14 p.m.

Discovered this after a post in the meme thread but it deserves its own thread here. An H-pattern gearbox is only effective as an anti-theft device on 44% of millennials vs. 28% of boomers, however 62% of millennials would be interested in driving another manual while only 16% of boomers would. Sources linked here:

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/66-percent-of-americans-say-they-know-how-to-drive-a-manual-but-almost-no-one-is-buying-them/

Here's a direct link to the survey data:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ON3bwsb6wWTlVzB1Ql5tMK2fgwW4RnoOAzapWIqi3Wc/edit#slide=id.p2

Dank meme:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/23 1:22 p.m.

I suspect the "interested in driving another manual" is age related, not generational :)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/4/23 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

My wife loves to drive a manual but physical limitations keep her in an automatic for her daily. So it's still somewhat a true slogan. 72% CAN drive a manual, only 16% WANT to compared to 44% CAN'T drive one and this is what bothers me, 38% don't want to. 

So, if only 54% can drive a manual, then how can 62% want another? The math just isn't adding up here unless this is yet another pathetic attempt to make "boomers" look stupid. IF thats the case then nevermind. Make up whatever you want to feel better about yourself. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/23 1:28 p.m.

I'll add the response from the Meme thread here as well. 

I learned to drive on a 62 Chevy truck with a 4 speed in 1979. I was 11. 

The last car I bought was a 6 speed. 

I have zero urge to daily a manual transmission in rush hour traffic.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
4/4/23 1:39 p.m.

A more interesting stat would be what percentage of car thieves can drive a manual and another interesting stat would be what percentage of car thieves would be deterred from stealing a car that has a manual. Professional car thieves that target high dollar cars like Lambos, Ferrari, Porsche, etc are probably more likely to drive stick than amateur car thieves or pros that target regular cars. Even so, the fact that 44% of Millenials cannot drive a manual, should translate into a lesser chance of car theft. Additionally, most non-sporty manual cars are worth less for resale than the same model automatic cars, which should also translate into a lower risk.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/23 1:43 p.m.

Put a knob on the the fork with a completely different pattern.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/4/23 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I'm not to that point yet. I just want the gears and pedals. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
4/4/23 1:46 p.m.

Meh. A Warner T98 with an unmarked knob will confuse them.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/4/23 2:00 p.m.

52-year old here. Still prefer a manual in my toys, but for a daily, give me an automatic all day every day. It helps that autos are so much better than they used to be.

wae
wae PowerDork
4/4/23 2:11 p.m.

Who would want to steal a millennial?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/4/23 2:14 p.m.

This is a silly thread.  Millennials don't believe in the private ownership of automobiles--it's all community property. cheeky

Edit:  Edited to add smiley, lest some hyper-defensive snowflake thinks I'm serious.   cheeky

Edit:  Edited to add another smiley, for same reason.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/4/23 2:17 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I dunno.... what's she look like and can she cook?

GameboyRMH
4/4/23 2:18 p.m.
wae said:

A boomer who needs to program a TV remote? cheeky

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/4/23 2:23 p.m.

So it is just another lame attempt to make fun of a class of people you don't like. Got it. Seems to be more and more common in here. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/23 2:27 p.m.
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/4/23 2:35 p.m.

I wonder what percentage of car thieves are millennials vs boomers...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/4/23 2:39 p.m.

They have sure assembled a bunch of random statistics there that seem to support absolutely nothing. 

GameboyRMH
4/4/23 2:40 p.m.
SV reX said:

I wonder what percentage of car thieves are millennials vs boomers...

Good question. From arrest data, we can at least see that the crappy car thieves who got caught are overwhelmingly young cheeky

https://www.statista.com/statistics/252480/number-of-property-crimes-in-the-us-by-type-and-age/

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/4/23 2:54 p.m.
bobzilla said:

So it is just another lame attempt to make fun of a class of people you don't like. Got it. Seems to be more and more common in here. 

Personally, I find the ongoing Millenial vs Boomer thing hilarious. Probably because I'm Gen X and everyone just ignores us and we like it that way.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/23 2:55 p.m.
wae said:

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
4/4/23 2:55 p.m.

Kind of hard to buy a new car with a manual transmission when nobody makes one.  Not really my fault as a buyer. 

For you old guys, just because someone says "boomer" doesn't mean they are insulting you.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/23 2:57 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I'll add the response from the Meme thread here as well. 

I learned to drive on a 62 Chevy truck with a 4 speed in 1979. I was 11. 

The last car I bought was a 6 speed. 

I have zero urge to daily a manual transmission in rush hour traffic.

...pretty sure those actors are boomers...

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
4/4/23 2:57 p.m.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
4/4/23 3:00 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Put a knob on the the fork with a completely different pattern.

Or take the knob with you when you park it !

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/23 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Most of them are mid 50s. About the same age as me. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nguFkqkrqZ5BfdzwYtHQlY6kAEBv7AuB4y2ydDuXGEbFtCy2PcQ7UqdwLxFhe9OB