1 ... 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 ... 2015
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
9/26/19 2:10 p.m.

Last week I decided to just bite the bullet and buy a transfer case for the leaky Suburban.  Took off at lunch to drive one town over and buy it for $800.  They couldn't find the part their computer said was right there on the shelf and haven't called back to tell me they found it.

So tomorrow I'm taking a full day off to drive 115 miles north (up past Cincinnati) to buy the only low mileage unit within a days drive.  ($750 and only has 73K on it)

I suppose the silver lining is that I'll be within a stones throw of the Air Force museum and by myself so I can visit there for a couple hours without herding children about.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
9/26/19 3:44 p.m.

UPS is taking my stuff for a cross country ride - I ordered some things from Flyin Miata on Tuesday, paid extra for 3 day delivery, and they're apparently touring the South and Midwest before making a turn toward me in California. So far they've hit Louisville KY and Rockford IL, and the delivery day is now Monday instead of Friday. Where will they go next? Noone knows!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
9/26/19 5:22 p.m.

Follow up rant:  junk yard just called back and they DON’T actually have the blessed part.   I’m not driving to Dayton tomorrow so I suppose i’ll Just bite the bullet and yank out the TC and buy the new back half case and try my hand at “rebuilding” it.  Sigh

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
9/26/19 5:54 p.m.

Checked to make sure it wasn't an "Onion" article.  Nope, the Anti-Defamation League has apparently labeled the "OK" hand gesture as a "white power" symbol.  The following illustration was provided: The ADL has updated its database to include the “OK” hand symbol, which became fodder for a 4chan trolling campaign to dupe viewers into thinking the fingers formed the letters “W″ and “P″ to mean “white power.” But the ADL says extremists also are using it as a sincere expression of white supremacy. (FILE)

WTF?  So when my co-worker asks if I could sign something while on the phone and I flash the "OK" sign because I'm on the phone, I'm now a racist?  Apparently, that would mean I've accidentally been a racist since I was in elementary school.  Apparently, last week when I gave the OK symbol to the guy with the nice looking 911 in the Target parking lot, I was secretly (and, I should add, unconsciously) communicating with my "white power" brother. 

Just bring on the giant comet already.  

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
9/26/19 6:44 p.m.

Almost home and there's a nagging feeling I forgot something.

Next morning as I get to the gas station.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
9/26/19 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Heh. One time I drove my wife’s car 12 miles on “0”

She didn’t enjoy that little adventure.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/19 7:47 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Just a touch of context:

Explaining that OK is “used by many on the right – not just extremists – for the purpose of trolling liberals” as well as purportedly expressing support for white supremacy, the group warns would-be hate-hunters that “caution must be used in evaluating instances of this symbol’s use.” The ADL plans to distribute a brochure including the new symbols and their descriptions to law enforcement and school districts around the country.

The move represented a reversal for the ADL, which released a statement in 2017 explaining that the symbol was a “popular trolling gesture” with its origins in a prank devised by posters on the anonymous message board 4chan.

“Operation O-KKK” saw a legion of trolls flood social media and civil rights groups with claims the “OK” gesture was a symbol of white supremacy, complete with lines tracing how one could discern the letters W and P (for “white power”) in the gesture.

Between this and what I've seen in political Twitter this week, I'm cheering on a Manhattan sized asteroid myself. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
9/26/19 7:58 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Added a thumbs up. Nice.

I think I have a full gallon at zero miles so it really wasn't serious. I just don't want to test it too far....

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/19 8:01 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/26/19 11:08 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Next week, thumbs up is racist. Be careful.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
9/27/19 4:39 a.m.

Supervisor quit yesterday.

The Spec 2 below him moved in to a different position on the team, but their position isn't getting backfilled.

Preparing for the absolute suck.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/19 4:53 a.m.
kazoospec said:

Checked to make sure it wasn't an "Onion" article.  Nope, the Anti-Defamation League has apparently labeled the "OK" hand gesture as a "white power" symbol.  The following illustration was provided: The ADL has updated its database to include the “OK” hand symbol, which became fodder for a 4chan trolling campaign to dupe viewers into thinking the fingers formed the letters “W″ and “P″ to mean “white power.” But the ADL says extremists also are using it as a sincere expression of white supremacy. (FILE)

WTF?  So when my co-worker asks if I could sign something while on the phone and I flash the "OK" sign because I'm on the phone, I'm now a racist?  Apparently, that would mean I've accidentally been a racist since I was in elementary school.  Apparently, last week when I gave the OK symbol to the guy with the nice looking 911 in the Target parking lot, I was secretly (and, I should add, unconsciously) communicating with my "white power" brother. 

WP people are generally mouth breathers, so I can see it.

"88" is also a WP dogwhistle.  You see, H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, so "88" means "Heil Hitler".  Yes, that is a dumb as it sounds.  (Never mind that Hitler would probably have had nothing to do with them other than making use of them before they were no longer useful, like the SA and the Night of the Long Knives)

Knurled.
9/27/19 4:55 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

In reply to Bent-Valve :

Heh. One time I drove my wife’s car 12 miles on “0”

She didn’t enjoy that little adventure.

But... 0 miles is grammatically correct!  "1 miles" isn't!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/27/19 5:08 a.m.
Knurled. said:
kazoospec said:

"88" is also a WP dogwhistle.  You see, H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, so "88" means "Heil Hitler".  Yes, that is a dumb as it sounds.  (Never mind that Hitler would probably have had nothing to do with them other than making use of them before they were no longer useful, like the SA and the Night of the Long Knives)

That's not the only negative connotation, it's just the most recent one

I've lived in/around enough cultures... that I now try to limit myself to using the "shaka sign", which AFAIK currently has no negative connotations. 

Knurled.
9/27/19 5:15 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:That's not the only negative connotation, it's just the most recent one

I've lived in/around enough cultures... that I now try to limit myself to using the "shaka sign", which AFAIK currently has no negative connotations. 

What about the sign of the V8?

Nevermind, that's probably a gang flash somewhere.  Well, somewhere besides the world of Fury Road., where I suppose it was a gang sign.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/27/19 5:26 a.m.

getting paid once a month is decent for budgeting but it still blows.  Especially on a 5 week month like this month and the crap they pull in December where they will most likely pay us on the 20th because no want wants to be here the week of and after Christmas. We wont get paid again until the 31st of January..... 6 weeks later.....

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
9/27/19 5:42 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Ok the ones listed there I can see. But I saw the most recent one of white supremacists claiming it as stupid because it seems like a relatively small group of people unpleasant people saying it means a certain thing. So basically there is no reason for the rest of us to agree with them.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/27/19 6:06 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

it's an interesting question.  ultimately, my takeaway is a reminder that all of these symbols are tied to the time and culture 'at hand'.  Even the ubiquitous "Thumbs Up" is not always obvious... iirc, at one time meant the opposite of what it means now.

Language changes, and hand symbols change too; and also... communication is hard.

Feel free to keep using it; I reckon if you use it in a way that's genuine, and you approach any questioning of your use of it with "I know there are people being hyperbolic about this symbol, but I'm choosing to use it in the way I was taught it because I'm an honest person just trying to be nice... you've got a fair chance of being ok.  And maybe it'll become a footnote.

Nevertheless, hopefully, you'll take away the understanding that all of this stuff is artificial, fungible, and constantly changing.  It's also really interesting, if you have the time to dig through the various symbols and how they've changed over time.

edit:
also, did I mention that language is constantly changing?  maybe that's my minor rant?  HTH can I keep up with it all!?  wink

wae
wae SuperDork
9/27/19 6:45 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
Knurled. said:
kazoospec said:

That's not the only negative connotation, it's just the most recent one

Knurled.
9/27/19 7:08 a.m.

FWIW, when I was in junior high it meant (counting off on your fingers) a-s-s-( ).

Not fully spelled out in case it gets construed as a filterable word.  Or more funny, if it gets filterpwned.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
9/27/19 7:34 a.m.

I literally just asked my shiny happy person dog if he wanted to come in the house while I was standing on the porch and he didn't show any interest. Now that I'm sitting on the couch minding my own business he starts barking wanting in. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/27/19 7:44 a.m.

The white power OK symbol thing was started by online jerkwads as a "hoax" but some rather odious folks have seemingly used it in earnest. It's kind of like how that Pepe frog meme was co-opted and taken over by shiny happy people.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/27/19 9:23 a.m.

Weather has been gorgeous all week.  I’ve been sick.  Slowly starting to get better, and it’s going to be in the 90’s and humid sad

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/27/19 9:42 a.m.

The "ok" sign is basically how my hands fall at rest. My index finger curls to my thumb; my ring, middle, and pinky lay more or less straight down. I've been called out on facebook for that. Turns out that people are stupid.

I'm not saying that it isn't a thing, but seriously, I think its obvious that I'm not that guy. 

Also, when I was in high school if it was done below your waist and you got another dude to look at it, you got to punch him. Don't know why that was a thing either, but that was at least just harmless "boys being dumbasses".

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/27/19 9:50 a.m.
Daylan C said:

I literally just asked my shiny happy person dog if he wanted to come in the house while I was standing on the porch and he didn't show any interest. Now that I'm sitting on the couch minding my own business he starts barking wanting in. 

Like a cat.  Hurry up and let me in, I need to go out again!

1 ... 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 ... 2015

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WzCzdHIfBqcMiwKnVvrsm5FZDLuqzWGgglXoFIgHFWSoZPfQIlWqtPBFWDSz44UT