1 ... 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 ... 2016
CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/23 1:05 p.m.

I hate having to explain to people how to do their jobs. Let alone people that have decades of experience. It's shocking to me the things I have to tell these people. Yesterday I had to have three of these converstations. 

TLDR: JFC people! Get your E36 M3 together and do your job. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/10/23 1:12 p.m.
mtn said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

To add to today sucking my laptop automatically updated and restarted and lost the entire browser of open tabs for research I was doing on open source tuning at my challenge car. No berkeleying clue how to get back where I was. Today just sucks

Assuming you're using Edge or Chrome, and probably Firefox and Safari as well... Right click on the ribbon next to the tabs. Should be an option for "Restore tabs" or restore last window or something like that.

That opened other stuff i had previously looked at, but not the stuff that was open when it restarted. 

I appreciate the help!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/10/23 1:49 p.m.
Antihero said:
Toyman! said:

You are 25 years old. You spend most of your time riding around in a truck. What do you mean your body can't take it anymore? 

Does anyone know someone who needs a job? Experience preferred. I'm apparently hiring again. 

There's a reason why ( according to a random article I read) that the average age of a construction worker now is 62.

Physical jobs seem to have a horrible stigma attached now as if they will break apart after a year or 2. 

Hell, the average age of a Ukrainian soldier right now is something like 42.  That means there's a lot of guys my age (I'm 46) in that mix.  I'm in reasonably good health, but I can't imagine doing military E36 M3 at my age.  Hell, a long weekend at the track tears me up for at least a couple days afterwards.

I work at a rail maintenance facility.  Locomotives and passenger train cars get repaired.  A turbocharger change out takes 3 men almost a week.  Lots of guys my age and older.  Younger guys come on, but many don't stay.  Granted, I'm the engineer- not the guy working in the trenches every day.  But like the other day, when we were doing a mod on a locomotive, I was out there with a tech, and started handing him tools...then taping up pipe threads, and then tightening fasteners.  It's just natural.  I _like_ to work with my hands.  

We definitely have gotten softer as a society.  I'm talking in general.  Yes, there are lots of anecdotes of people doing hard jobs and difficult things.  But overall, it seems the average "toughness" is down.  I don't know what it is.  Probably everything- the E36 M3ty food, the chemicals in everything, the social media, parenting, schools, the fact that we haven't had a draft since my parents' generation, and we haven't had a real, kick-you-in-the-nuts depression since my grandparents' generation.  

The plus side is, compared to 100 years ago, we've got it easy.  The down side is, we've gotten used to it.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
11/10/23 2:09 p.m.
CAinCA said:

I hate having to explain to people how to do their jobs. Let alone people that have decades of experience. It's shocking to me the things I have to tell these people. Yesterday I had to have three of these converstations. 

Some people have 20 years' experience.  Others have one year experience 20 times over.  Know the difference.

volvoclearinghouse
11/10/23 4:39 p.m.
Scott_H said:
CAinCA said:

Some people have 20 years' experience.  Others have one year experience 20 times over.  Know the difference.

I like that, and am going to use it. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/23 4:41 p.m.
Scott_H said:
CAinCA said:

Yep, I say that exact phrase all of the time. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/23 4:45 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
mtn said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

To add to today sucking my laptop automatically updated and restarted and lost the entire browser of open tabs for research I was doing on open source tuning at my challenge car. No berkeleying clue how to get back where I was. Today just sucks

Assuming you're using Edge or Chrome, and probably Firefox and Safari as well... Right click on the ribbon next to the tabs. Should be an option for "Restore tabs" or restore last window or something like that.

That opened other stuff i had previously looked at, but not the stuff that was open when it restarted. 

I appreciate the help!

Also try viewing browser history by date, Ctrl-H in most browsers.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/23 12:07 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

In reply to Antihero :

Lost - TV on Google Play

Not quite as bad but yes, like that

Antihero
11/12/23 12:15 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
Antihero said:
Toyman! said:

You are 25 years old. You spend most of your time riding around in a truck. What do you mean your body can't take it anymore? 

Does anyone know someone who needs a job? Experience preferred. I'm apparently hiring again. 

There's a reason why ( according to a random article I read) that the average age of a construction worker now is 62.

Physical jobs seem to have a horrible stigma attached now as if they will break apart after a year or 2. 

Hell, the average age of a Ukrainian soldier right now is something like 42.  That means there's a lot of guys my age (I'm 46) in that mix.  I'm in reasonably good health, but I can't imagine doing military E36 M3 at my age.  Hell, a long weekend at the track tears me up for at least a couple days afterwards.

I work at a rail maintenance facility.  Locomotives and passenger train cars get repaired.  A turbocharger change out takes 3 men almost a week.  Lots of guys my age and older.  Younger guys come on, but many don't stay.  Granted, I'm the engineer- not the guy working in the trenches every day.  But like the other day, when we were doing a mod on a locomotive, I was out there with a tech, and started handing him tools...then taping up pipe threads, and then tightening fasteners.  It's just natural.  I _like_ to work with my hands.  

We definitely have gotten softer as a society.  I'm talking in general.  Yes, there are lots of anecdotes of people doing hard jobs and difficult things.  But overall, it seems the average "toughness" is down.  I don't know what it is.  Probably everything- the E36 M3ty food, the chemicals in everything, the social media, parenting, schools, the fact that we haven't had a draft since my parents' generation, and we haven't had a real, kick-you-in-the-nuts depression since my grandparents' generation.  

The plus side is, compared to 100 years ago, we've got it easy.  The down side is, we've gotten used to it.

I think most people have been conditioned to run away from any level of adversity and we are advanced enough that they can get away from the small things quite easily.

Even on an Off Grid page I follow people don't seem to realize that the general idea of that style of living is generally harder. 

I think the ability to endure is being lost, it doesn't mean I think people should suffer but some adversity is good to overcome. You learn more about winning when you lose and you learn more about life when you overcome.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/12/23 7:55 a.m.

Have you ever noticed whenever someone feels the need to open with they, their, this is the best in the country, Florida, ever......it's probably not true.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/12/23 9:55 a.m.

Removed the IRS out of the XR4 to get the shock mounts strengthened since going coil overs. Feels like I wrestled a bear with all the aches and pains. Barely made it upstairs last night.

Better today but still aches. Off to do more stretching!

Antihero
11/12/23 1:08 p.m.
RonnieFnD said:

Have you ever noticed whenever someone feels the need to open with they, their, this is the best in the country, Florida, ever......it's probably not true.

Absolutely, and basically since no one else has said it, they feel the need to do so ,usually loudly.

If someone/something is the best it doesn't need to be said, people will notice or know it

volvoclearinghouse
11/12/23 2:42 p.m.

Always happens when I'm at the furthest point possible from my shed in the yard, and I left the little tool there. 

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
11/12/23 3:12 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

LOL, I feel this in a somewhat related way.  I was just about finished up with the run around the yard picking up leaves thing yesterday when the I felt a "pop" and the tractor started rolling backwards.    Yep, the drive belt, which may be the original decided it had had enough. (Only 19 years and 620 hours on it!)  I have a spare but it was beerthirty so I asked Mrs11GTCS to help me push it up the ramp into the shed.  I'll figure out what that's going to take to replace during the week.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
11/12/23 3:44 p.m.

All the post about getting older and being sore, I can relate to. I'm trying to get beck in shape, but finding time is tough. 

Right now I belong to a gym that does boot camp style classes, I really like the coaches and the workouts, but the session times don't work for me most of the time.  The closest to working are not quite there, 4:45 pm is too early, but 5:45 conflicts with getting kiddo #2 to hockey practice a couple nights a week, and HS hockey hasn't even started yet.

Add to that, kiddo #2 wants to go to Planet fitness with one of his hockey buddies, and essentially none of the times at my gym work. If he can make the gym into a habit at 14, then maybe he'll make it into a lifelong habit, so I want to encourage and support it as much as possible.

Last week I went to PF and do their 30 minute workout while #2 did his thing. I could see myself doing that regularly when he goes and eventually add to it with more strength training.

As a result, I'm thinking of cancelling my current membership and moving to PF, but feel bad leaving the coaches at the current place (they call and check up on you if you don't make it in for while, etc). Financially it would save me >$100 even if I get the PF black membership instead of the $10 one, and with the flexibility I might even go more often.

TL:DR - waffling on cancelling a gym membership that I'm not really using because it isn't convenient, but I like the coaches and feel bad leaving.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/12/23 5:55 p.m.

The issue I have with Planet Fitness is they want to get paid directly from my checking account. That's a no no for me

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/12/23 6:16 p.m.

Why do I keep falling for his bullE36 M3?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/12/23 6:45 p.m.

Mrs.  APEowner has COVID.  I don't know when would be a convenient time for that to happen but this isn't it..

Antihero
11/12/23 6:53 p.m.

My 00 explorer brakes refuse to bleed, all I'm getting is fluid everywhere yet I have no pedal.

It blew a hard line and sat for years, ABS module needs bled maybe? I've never had to actually do that so I'm not even sure what I need

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/23 10:35 a.m.

If the many rumors are correct last night was the last race at Orange County speedway. I had a lot of fun helping out on a couple cars there the past three years, winning the small block championship and coming in second in big blocks this year.  The track invested money in a number of improvements for spectators but attendance has still been declining, and this year's near constant rain may have finally killed it off. Last night's race had been rescheduled twice before finally running.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/13/23 10:49 a.m.

All of us in this household are sick. I think I got about 4 hours of sleep last night. Landscapers are next door running the leafblowers at constant WOT. Use a berkeleying rake, the blower can't be any faster - if it was, you'd already be done. 

And, quite literally, get the berkeley off of my lawn. 

I even took this weekend off of the side gig to try to catch up on stuff. A pediatric ER visit took care of that. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
11/13/23 11:01 a.m.

I hate state inspections.  $180 plus labor for rear brake pads to pass.  I told the guy on the phone no thanks and he was PISSED and then hung up on me.  I had to call him back to ask when my car would be ready to pick up again.  $30 for rear pads from the jungle people that will be here tomorrow.  I understand that for some, the money is worth the time, but not me.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/23 11:24 a.m.

Ziploc really need to get their E36 M3 together. These are by far the absolute worst zip top bags I've ever used. Unzip them once and the zipper rips right off the bag. 

Can't wait until this case is through. berkeleying name brand garbage.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/13/23 11:40 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Send in a complaint. Or take it back to the store. They're not providing the product you paid for. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/13/23 11:41 a.m.

It took most of a day this weekend, but I finally understood a measure I am going to have to test in an upcoming software release.  Now, I'm going to have to explain it to the development team, and probably help come up with hundreds of unit tests because this thing is incredibly over-complicated.  Way too much false precision, and if the government thinks this can help reduce bad actors, they're wrong, because I found a Texas-sized exploit in it fairly quickly.  It only works if the users are honest, and money is involved here, so some of them are going to continue to cheat.

1 ... 1847 1848 1849 1850 1851 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NNWgI6RA2X8TROjQpPhUjmhrI6GPP3yEk9fH37MR368YC01iOQFvQ0rmNsmmtQv8