budget_bandit Reader
6/27/24 8:54 a.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Kroger vs Walmart self checkout machines is like dial up internet vs fiber lol

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/24 8:57 a.m.
gixxeropa said:

kroger replaced most of its checkouts with self-checkout, which i normally wouldn't mind but their self-checkouts have got to be the worst in the business. They're always locking up and accusing me of stealing or something and I have to get an employee to come unlock it. I should get a discount for using this and doing a cashiers job

They are quite annoying. I often wish that the Meijer was closer than the Kroger so we could do most of our shopping there instead. The Meijer checkouts don't complain if I put the paper bags I prefer in the checkout area, and don't assume that I'm trying to steal things when I pull multiple things out of my cart/basket (which is another gripe I have with our Kroger at least- there are no hand baskets in the store any more, and by about 2 hours before closing it seems they've collected and hidden all of the smaller shopping carts) when checking out. Meijer also lets me use ApplePay on my watch which is a simple matter of tapping the side button on it twice vs. having to pull out my phone, open the Kroger app, and go through however many screens it decides is necessary that day to get to the Kroger Pay screen. It doesn't help that our Kroger very definitely seems to be the worst one in town despite not being the smallest.

wae
wae UltimaDork
6/27/24 9:48 a.m.

Piling on the Kroger self-checkout complaints....  Instead of having things delivered, I had to go into the store myself like some sort of peasant the other day.  There were about 16 self checkout stations in 4 rows and a line of people waiting to use them.  But only 8 of them were open, the other 8 were cordoned off.  I guess they're so malfunctional that one person can only juggle 8 at a time?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
6/27/24 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) and wae :

<Looking down upon both of you from the Jungle Jim's>

Glad I have a Meijer nearby.  On the rare occasions I go to Kroger, half the time, the one open regular checkout seems faster than the self checkout.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/27/24 10:29 a.m.

In reply to wae :

That happens at our Walmarts every day. Apparently they need a minimum number of employees to watch over the machines, and they can't get people to come to work

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/27/24 10:34 a.m.
wae said:

Piling on the Kroger self-checkout complaints....  Instead of having things delivered, I had to go into the store myself like some sort of peasant the other day.  There were about 16 self checkout stations in 4 rows and a line of people waiting to use them.  But only 8 of them were open, the other 8 were cordoned off.  I guess they're so malfunctional that one person can only juggle 8 at a time?

Our store only has 8 self-checkouts, and they're all the older, smaller ones (most of the others around town have several larger ones that can handle a full cart of groceries instead of just like 2 plastic bags' worth) set up in 2 rows of 2 on opposite ends of the checkout area- and when they close one of the entrances an hour before closing they shut down the checkouts in front of that entrance. So if you're there in the hour before they close (which is from 8-9 pm, because apparently we're living back in the 80's again) there are only 4 self-checkouts open and maybe 1 manned checkout- and since a whole lot of people are usually shopping then, the lines are ridiculous.

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/27/24 10:36 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) and wae :

<Looking down upon both of you from the Jungle Jim's>

Glad I have a Meijer nearby.  On the rare occasions I go to Kroger, half the time, the one open regular checkout seems faster than the self checkout.

Yeah... but when have you ever been able to make a quick run to Jungle Jim's?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/24 11:03 a.m.

berkeleying marketplace. I don't think I need anymore words than that. Maybe "I miss Craigslist". 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/27/24 11:11 a.m.
RevRico said:

berkeleying marketplace. I don't think I need anymore words than that. Maybe "I miss Craigslist". 

Hear hear

Tunakid 1 will be looking for a car soon enough, and without craigslist I don't know how to do that. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/24 11:25 a.m.

Marketplace reminds me of this. 

Turkish Swipe Ice Cream GIF - Turkish Swipe Ice Cream Bait And Switch -  Discover & Share GIFs

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/24 11:32 a.m.

having a run of bad luck this morning, slightly crashed the robot arm today because i mis-pressed a button. didn't damage the robot but it dented the part I was working on and exploded a mixing tip filled with two part adhesive that splattered all over a shirt I just bought. At least the part was salvageable and I guess I'll just demote the shirt to a work only shirt

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/27/24 1:16 p.m.

A quick two part question, first for the sales people among us:  If you walk into a shop, and there is no one at the front counter  until a guy comes through the door with grease to his elbows, do you leave a card and apologize for pulling him away from work, or do you attempt to sell him hand cleaner?

For the customers among us:  Do you pledge to break your contract with that service company as soon as possible, or do you buy overprised hand cleaner, because of perfect timing?

I was finally able to get the repair estimate for the hail damage on the Maverick:

Yikes. The owner said that they were just going to replace the hood since it was so messed up.

wae
wae UltimaDork
6/27/24 2:03 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

A quick two part question, first for the sales people among us:  If you walk into a shop, and there is no one at the front counter  until a guy comes through the door with grease to his elbows, do you leave a card and apologize for pulling him away from work, or do you attempt to sell him hand cleaner?

For the customers among us:  Do you pledge to break your contract with that service company as soon as possible, or do you buy overprised hand cleaner, because of perfect timing?

Sounds like, in addition to the hand cleaner, I should try selling him a receptionist-as-a-service offering.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/27/24 3:15 p.m.

I've had my phone number for 6-years now.  I live in Pittsburgh, PA.  It's apparent that the person who had this number before me is from the Atlanta, GA area.

I get at least 2 calls a day from Atlanta.  Usually from bill collectors or telemarketers asking for "Marlene" or "Mr. Lewis."  The person on the other end of the phone is always shocked when I say this isn't their number anymore -  I don't know them, and want off whatever list you're calling me for.  I've been on drawn out family text group messages from Pookey and Uncle Ray.  After a lot of blocking numbers, those have finally stopped.  During the 2020 election, I got about 5 texts a day from political groups.  Then, GA went into a runoff election and I got about 20 texts a day.

Seriously, how much E36 M3 did you sign up for with this number?  Are you still giving it out to bill collectors?  Apparentley this will never end. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/24 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

I used to get a lot of calls from bail bondsmen on my old number, apparently the sketchy previous owner was still using it

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/24 6:33 p.m.

Well, this afternoon was a waste.

- The new air door motor that was a 3 day wait to get made louder buzzing noises than the old one.

- The A/C compressor E36 M3 the bed five minutes after charging the system.

- The exhaust system that we ordered was from a catalog error.  The catalog listed turbo and nonturbo cars as having the same system and nobody caught that.  (Maybe if the automaker didn't use cutesy names like Linear and Aero this would have been obvious)  The correct exhaust system for this car is made by nobody at all.

That's going to be a fun conversation... the bad news is we have to replace practically all of your air conditioning system if you want it to work.  But the good news is, you'll save money on the exhaust system because we can't get one anywhere.

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/27/24 6:45 p.m.

When I had a landline, I kept getting messages on the answering machine for a Mr. X.  I had that number for seven or eight years.  The answering machine said "You have reached the home of Y and Z.  If you are trying to reach Mr. X, this is not their number, that person is not at this number.  We have had this number since 1999.  If you are trying to reach Y or Z, please leave a message after the beep."

Right up until I had the line disconnected, we would get messages for him.  Not from bill collectors or anything, but from apparent friends saying hi etc.  

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
6/27/24 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

So you're telling me there is no hope. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/27/24 8:24 p.m.

I was continually amazed at how people would just bulldoze past the unfamiliar voice, the non ambiguous statements of who they were reaching and who they weren't reaching.  If it was bill collectors, I could understand, as a fake answering machine message would seem like a good idea to someone trying to duck away from them.

But no, this was people just trying to get in touch.

And they never left a contact number, either, just "call me back".

They never sounded senile, or otherwise confused.  Otherwise sound-mind-sounding men and women looking for this Mr. X to call them back.

I began to believe that the zombie apocalypse had already happened, and they knew how to dial a telephone.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
6/27/24 8:30 p.m.

Craigslist is still viable. Make sure to also look in the general and parts sections where people post cars so they don't have to pay $5. I still regularly check CL and find deals. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
6/27/24 8:31 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

What's actually the $2,435.00 Miscellaneous? Tape and paint thinner?

What's PDR?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/27/24 10:46 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

Paintless Dent Removal.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/28/24 8:00 a.m.

Ah yes, multi factor authorization so I can log in.

Except that I left my phone at home.  So I have to direct the authorization to my email.  Which takes so long that the link times out, and then I have to repeat.

*sigh*

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/24 8:27 a.m.

If you had to run my sleep schedule ,  you wouldn't.

1 ... 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s24EFsxW0JXG8ZqQs2muHcgR8sftzt9InUSEvS4wEG6nBM9pQrVtwMcZggEtv7D4