1 ... 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 ... 2016
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/2/24 10:06 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Open all doors, let it air out, go sniffing for strongest smell?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/2/24 10:10 a.m.
WilD said:

The Tour de France thread raised my blood pressure more than I would have expected.  I rarely have that problem with this forum.

Meh.  There is right and wrong on both sides of that equation.  Shiny happy people drive cars and ride bikes.

I've seen car drivers being dangerously aggressive toward (or oblivious to) bike riders.  They suck.

I've seen bike riders scream about sharing the road, while violating every traffic law except the speed limit.  They suck too.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/2/24 10:14 a.m.

Developers talk about marinas as if they are attractions. No, they are parking lots! For everyone who wants to gaze upon the boats, there are a dozen people who wish they weren't there so that they could see the damn water! 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/2/24 10:27 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Wow, so that's what I've missed out on it the past when I go there on the weekends instead of weekdays.

wae
wae UltimaDork
7/2/24 11:10 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob!

Honestly, I don't usually mind a salesman or three.  And I like kibitizing with random people.  But this was too much, even for me.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/2/24 11:33 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Back when Al Bundy was selling shoes Chicago had a great priced shoe store called Chernin's.  A guy at a podium with a microphone called sales people to you when you were ready - super loud atmosphere. Intense.

Show shoe guy your DRESS SHOE pick and he comes back with three different shoes.  He noticed your gym shoes looked old so he brought out some to look at.  Shoe polish? Proper socks? Shoe trees? Gym shoes? No x 5.

It was a fight to leave with the one pair you wanted.  Super aggressive and super annoying - then you start lying to the guy......I bought new shoe trees last week.....

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/2/24 1:44 p.m.

Should be illegal to require professional cleaning (with receipt) for moving out of a house. If you can't tell if it was done professionally and need a receipt, then it doesn't matter

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/2/24 3:32 p.m.

Xbox Live went down, so I can't play my single player video game.  I hate enE36 M3ification

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/3/24 8:27 a.m.

Is it really necessary for the TV news to warn people that holiday traffic will be heavy for July 4.  Also, travel tips like making sure your car is in good condition and the a/c is working before you leave.  Gosh, I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks for letting me know.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/3/24 8:41 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Is it really necessary for the TV news to warn people that holiday traffic will be heavy for July 4.  Also, travel tips like making sure your car is in good condition and the a/c is working before you leave.  Gosh, I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks for letting me know.

Look around you.

Yes, it is really necessary.

Unfortunately.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/3/24 8:51 a.m.

Holy carp. 

I have a doctors appointment this morning. I was sent a pkg ahead of time with a list of rules, regulations, and penalties. I arrive 15 minutes early per their instruction. There's a note on the door to stay in your vehicle until your appointment time. I enter anyway, and there are rules posted all over the waiting room. Think I might have a little fun with this guy. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/3/24 8:53 a.m.
Duke said:
stuart in mn said:

Look around you.

Unfortunately.

Think of the average person.  Now realize that half the people out there are dumber than that.

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
7/3/24 10:23 a.m.

I'm about ready to throw this damned thing across the room.

π–‡π–‘π–†π–ˆπ– π–˜π–†π–‡π–‡π–†π–™π– π–”π–“π–‘π–Žπ–“π–Š on X: "Rage Against The Machine  never specified what type of machine they were furious with, but I reckon  it was probably a printer. https://t.co/jDTf3RucZb" / X

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/24 10:47 a.m.
Duke said:
stuart in mn said:

Look around you.

Unfortunately.

Agreed, Idiocracy is real

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/24 10:51 a.m.

I think that most people watch TV news either by habit, or when something really bad happens. For the habit variety, there are a bunch of programming features that run automatically. Holliday/weather warnings are at the core of that. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/24 11:09 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

It's absolutely necessary, and this afternoon after a week of warnings people will still be angered at the unexpected delays. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
7/3/24 11:49 a.m.

I remember seeing a promo for the local news that claimed to have tips for saving money at the grocery store.  I like to eat and I like to save money, so I thought this just might be a good opportunity to learn something.  Yeah, no.  Their big tips were that the items shelved on an endcap aren't necessarily the best-priced items and when the price tag says 10 for $10, you don't have to buy 10 of them, you can buy one for $1.

My rant today is Kroger Delivery.  Again.  The promo they have now is buy 2 12-packs at a regular price* and get an additional 3 at no cost.  So I put 10 12 packs on my order.  $40 for 120 cans is about what I'm willing to pay and that should last us for a while.  Well, they're out of 12 packs of Fresca, of which I ordered 2, Coke Zero, also ordered 2, Coke Zero Cherry, and Sprite.  They substituted 14 packs instead of 2 12 packs for the Coke Zero, a single 12 pack of regular Coke Zero (yes, that they were out of) for the Cherry, and a 24 pack of Sprite and just didn't fulfill the Fresca.  That totally blows up the deal and now I've got a 24 pack of Coke Zero for $10, a 24 pack of Sprite for $9, and one 12-pack each at $10 of root beer, Dr Pepper, and ginger ale, and Coke Zero.  So now I'm getting 96 cans for almost $60.  Upside, they refunded the 24 packs for me, so that makes it a little better, but still.

Next up is the butter.  I ordered a 2-pack of butter.  I was billed for a 2-pack of butter.  They come as a package that's marked as a 2-pack and they're held together with celophane.  Well, I only got one of the two packs, despite being charged for both of them.  Again, they refunded it, but that doesn't get me my butter.

*And that brings me to an auxillary rant.  When in the hell did they think that I'm going to willingly pay $10 for a single 12 pack of sugar water!?  That is nucking futs.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
7/3/24 11:50 a.m.

berkeleying little E36 M3s...we have a great weekend planned for them....games, food trucks, and fireworks at the town park tonight, and a pool party at the neighbor's house Saturday.  So what does big sister do?  She chucks a full backpack at little brother while he's riding his bike.  Mrs. VCH is currently en route with them to the urgent care, his face is all swollen up.  

My initial reaction is to say berkeley it, we're all staying home, and she's grounded, but that means little guy also doesn't get to go to the park or the pool.  I don't want to punish him, but I don't feel like she ought to get to enjoy her weekend while he's in pain.

I was just telling an expectant father here at the office how much he's going to love being a dad.  angry

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/3/24 12:18 p.m.

I've noticed people just ignoring turn lanes a lot lately, like turning directly from the travel lane into wherever they're going and pretending there's no turn lane at all. What's up with  that? 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/24 12:29 p.m.

because why shouldn't I just be able to go to the shop and get tires put on?

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/3/24 12:35 p.m.
Peabody said:

Holy carp. 

I have a doctors appointment this morning. I was sent a pkg ahead of time with a list of rules, regulations, and penalties. I arrive 15 minutes early per their instruction. There's a note on the door to stay in your vehicle until your appointment time. I enter anyway, and there are rules posted all over the waiting room. Think I might have a little fun with this guy. 

I had no fun with that guy. He was difficult, argumentative, and told me that my ongoing problem of 30 years, is something I should just ignore. Now I have to go see a different doctor, hopefully one who's actually interested in doing his job.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
7/3/24 12:39 p.m.

word went out at work at 730: the whole building lost AC. The system is 17 years old and underbuilt. The chances of getting replacement parts in:

1- federal holiday

2- weekend

3- todays world of "everything is on back order"

So that's cool I guess. Except for the cool part. Because it's actually very hot. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/3/24 12:51 p.m.

Headhunters.

I have been received emails and phone calls about 43 different opportunities in the last 3 days.

Please leave me alone.

EDIT: Two more just now

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/3/24 1:07 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

I've noticed people just ignoring turn lanes a lot lately, like turning directly from the travel lane into wherever they're going and pretending there's no turn lane at all. What's up with  that? 

That was standard operating procedure when I lived in Oklahoma.

Purple Frog
Purple Frog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/3/24 1:25 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

You can get a smoother line,  brake later, apex later, hammer down sooner...  winksmileysurprise

1 ... 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fXBnrpOBoJdxcg2vJqtR3Dy7SHTNh7R4iyRFjHDoag1FiUWXEsT4XVkIuJg1uRBk