1 ... 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 ... 2016
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/24 10:46 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Yup you can, it's been done for decades. 

And the hempcrete blocks are actually better environmentally and insulation wise than normal concrete. 

Let's not forget hemp for victory either. 

And aside from a good way to racially harass blacks and Mexicans, another big driver behind the prohibition of hemp and marijuana was the newspaper magnate losing his ass in his forestry concerns to hemp paper. 10x more production per acre than forests, without the whole 100 year regrowth time. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/5/24 11:02 p.m.

Not the whole car.

Body panels, sure, see Henry Ford but it's not going to be any greener than anything else.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/5/24 11:05 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

There's no 100 year regrowth time for trees for paper. It's something like 25.

Scott Paper owns a couple big islands in the Fraser River that are plantations. Birch or poplar or something like that.

Last time they logged them, the eco-freaks went nuts. That's literally why they planted those trees on their own property.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/5/24 11:46 p.m.

Second rant of the day:

I just had to tip nothing, and I never tip nothing.

There was literally no phase of the restaurant experience that she managed to get right and ignored us . This is a restaurant that we go to a lot and the rest of the servers knew how bad she was.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/24 3:35 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

In reply to ShawnG :

No, cars can't be made from hemp.

i think you can use hemp in a composite like the "ecofriendly" flax composites that you might see on Porsche cayman clubsports 

Who's going to bring a hemp car to the Challenge? Start with a backbone-chassis Lotus, add hemp composite body, interior and wheels. Maybe hemp brake pads too, they've been tried before and should survive the Challenge itself, I wonder what kind of smell those would make...run it on E85 and call it the Dankmobile, #420 of course laugh

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/6/24 3:37 p.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to RevRico :

There's no 100 year regrowth time for trees for paper. It's something like 25.

Scott Paper owns a couple big islands in the Fraser River that are plantations. Birch or poplar or something like that.

Last time they logged them, the eco-freaks went nuts. That's literally why they planted those trees on their own property.

Right?

Arguably, the paper industry is good for tree growth because they aren't cutting down forests to put up McMansions, they are farming trees.  They replant after they cut down.

I'm as pro environment as any but come on.  I don't tear up over a field of corn getting harvested.  This is the same thing.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/6/24 4:37 p.m.

Someone managed to steal three grand out of my  mom's bank account. There are no cards associated with the account. Their are no bill payments, auto drafts, or other electronic payments. I called the bank's fraud line,and they confirmed there is no card activity. I honestly don't know how the thief did it. There is just an ACH transaction against the checking account.

I filled out a fraud claim. That should take care of the money part of the deal. I don't know how I can make it any more secure.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/6/24 5:22 p.m.

I let them talk me in to it.

I'm going back to work two days a week for at least three months.  That's the pay back time if they'd just left me alone and I was able to run out my employment insurance.

It's a very minor rant. They made it worth my while, and I'll treat myself to something I normally wouldn't with some of the extra loot.

But I did take the opportunity to get back at apprenticeboy. He was the one lobbying the hardest, but also saying, I knew you'd be back.  They have a hiring freeze on, it's still that slow, but I know he needs the help, I know we have an unusual(ly good) rapport, and he does significantly better with support - he's very, very good.  During all the back and forth with HR, and our supervisor/manager, I requested they not say anything. When he kept asking what was happening, and if I was coming back, they acted like I never responded to their emails and phone calls. He was texting me non stop all week and slowly falling apart each day as it looked more and more like I wasn't coming back. Friday he went silent. Late Friday night I texted him, you can stop sulking now, I start back in August. He agreed, I got him and I got him good.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/6/24 6:14 p.m.
gixxeropa said:

In reply to ShawnG :

No, cars can't be made from hemp.

i think you can use hemp in a composite like the "ecofriendly" flax composites that you might see on Porsche cayman clubsports 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/24 6:25 p.m.

To the ever so friendly driver from PA that decided merging was not going to be an option earlier today while the lanes of the interstate were stacked up bumper to bumper for miles. Thanks for scaring the crap out of my wife and being such a huge shiny happy person. I hope that you find yourself with an automotive breakdown on your way home and no one wants to stop and help.

Let's all be grateful that I have some common sense and decided to let you be the 'winner' in your mind.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/6/24 6:31 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I was thinking about that movie today. Maybe I'll watch it when I get home 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
7/6/24 6:54 p.m.

Picked up a nail. I don't have a jack. I don't have a spare. What a fun game. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/7/24 1:13 a.m.

Wife put in her online application today to start her social security. 

My rant is that I'm too young for this (we're the same age) and that's for old people.  Senior Citizens? Not me......

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/7/24 4:32 a.m.

That moment when you are lined up with the same Corvette that you've raced 4 times so far in Test & Tune and the 13s class of King of the Track stage next to you and you realize they are slower than both of you. I could have brought home a trophy. berkeley.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/7/24 10:26 a.m.

Either I overfilled the gas tank by way too much, or my new to me wood chipper is going to need the carb looked at.  Already smacked it multiple times in case it was a stuck float.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/24 11:12 a.m.

Marketplace, man. I listed an ATV project that hadnt run in years, I'd opened the block and lost something, no plasticwork. Lots of autopopulated "is it availables" who disappear after scattering that question to the wind, but the gold was one enterprising "Is anything wrong with it?" to which I did not reply but blocked instead.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
7/7/24 11:46 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Picked up a nail. I don't have a jack. I don't have a spare. What a fun game. 

Borrowed a jack and stand and pulled the wheel this morning. I can't find anything wrong... did someone let the air out? Is the tire bad? These tires are new. I'll take it in tomorrow to see if we can find something. Tires are dumb. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/24 12:36 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Check the valve stem and the rim seal.  If they slammed tires onto corroded rims, they'll leak.  If they didn't replace the valve stem or change the gasket on a metal TPMS, it will also probably leak.

I have also seen defective new valve stems where the little gasket that seals the valve is bad.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/24 7:20 p.m.

I replaced the toilet on my camper, yea win, upgraded from a Dometic 300 to a domestic 310, also a win. 
Here is the rant, not sure if I am ranting at Dometic or Keystone. Dometic, you sell toilets of varying quality, make them all the same berkeleying offset. Keystone, you couldn't add 3/16" to the offset of the hole so people can upgrade easily? I had to shim the toilet so it now has ~1 degree of tilt, it's still sealed fine but that could have been a lot easier. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/7/24 10:51 p.m.

I got on this road 275 miles ago and set the cruise at 75. Traffic isn't too heavy and I have been going between 72-76 that entire time.

So why have I passed you like 10 times already, usually at a pretty large speed differential?

Am I going to have to pass you 20 more times before I get off this road in another 350 miles?

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/7/24 11:23 p.m.

Every go to the music venue in Highland Park, Illinois? Ravinia?

Minimum parking so use the train station and free "wait an hour" bus line....told the daughter to pee an hour ago.....

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/7/24 11:28 p.m.

I've been in bed for the entirety of the weekend with what appears to be Covid. I'm not surprised that people were willing to have folks put nails in their heads before modern medicine to stop headaches- they suck. But I'm also not dying and it's mostly just really annoying and I feel like crap. 

also- this is screwing with my running. Last week I got in over 45 miles and this week I can't run poop.  Can't let this disrupt too much of my schedule.  21 weeks till race day. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/24 6:05 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/8/24 7:15 a.m.

Re: passing the same car repeatedly.  My wife thinks I get too frustrated by it but the person that I've passed 5 times will screw me behind a truck when they pass me back the 6th time.  

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/8/24 8:38 a.m.

In reply to RevRico : (Hemp)

From what I have read DuPont also pushed for outlawing Hemp when they invented Rayon and needed to follow the old tradition of buying a law from Congress in order to stifle the competition.

1 ... 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wSTkauLbhS7Xka4qzFHcgKCgyGv8HUWOr5DeCd15y79hl4AXMTDzy44eXAHjErMW