1 ... 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 ... 2022
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/24 11:39 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said

I am 99% sure that people working on drones and/or AI have never seen a Terminator movie.

I don't know if it's scarier if they haven't read Manna or watched Elysium, or if they have...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/22/24 12:00 a.m.

Re: Water chestnuts, my mom puts them in a chicken casserole and they really bring the whole thing together. I might ask my mom to make it when I see her [at her house] in 2 weeks. 

Rant: why do I over think things so much? I put that bracketed text in because I'll see my mom in a week, but we will not be in a place where one could whip up a casserole. What a stupid thing to add. Or is it? Ah, I'm overthinking overthinking  a throwaway post on an Internet forum. Time for bed. And to paraphrase John Prine, it maybe time to Throw away my cell phone. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
7/22/24 8:47 a.m.

I wrenched my back during the leadup to the rallycross on Saturday and it hurts bad enough that I can't sleep.  So now I'm in pain and extra grouchy about it.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/24 9:43 a.m.

I hate setting up gears. I hate cleaning sludge out of axle housings. I hate removing and replacing pressed-on bearings. I hate the 400 lbft of torque it takes to seat a crush sleeve. 

Apparently I'm not the only one because try as we might, there wasn't a shop that would touch it.

The one shop that agreed to try but called back and said 1/8" of slop in a pinion shaft was normal and that it just needed $3500 in bushings and steering linkages. WTF? When I asked about the glitter in the gear oil, they brushed that off as normal as well. 

The off-road shop in town said they don't do gears. What? How do you do big tires and not do gears? 

The race shop in town said they don't do front axles. 

So this weekend we did it. The pinion rollers were so worn they were falling out of the cages. Everything else looked damn near perfect. 

It is the first time I've been into a Torsen LSD. At least that was cool. 

20240721_103120.jpg

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/22/24 11:15 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said

I am 99% sure that people working on drones and/or AI have never seen a Terminator movie.

I don't know if it's scarier if they haven't read Manna or watched Elysium, or if they have...

"At long last, we have created the Torment Nexus from classic sci-fi novel Don't Create The Torment Nexus"

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
7/22/24 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

All of that is the reason I bit the bullet and bought an assembled center section for my Capri rather than just swapping ring and pinion....  unbox it, and bolt it in.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/22/24 11:56 a.m.

I have grown tired of the round and round of trying to get changes put in place for procedures. No one commits to anything until after I am over 90% complete and I have to redo it afterwards.

I think I will start announcing what Im going to be doing via email, send out one example, then sit on my butt for a week and wait for all the feedback to filter in.

(Realistically, I'll be working on other projects, not sitting on my butt, but still.)

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
7/22/24 12:56 p.m.

I've got a Holter chest monitor on watching heart activity for the next day to diagnose what's going on with me after my fainting spell 2 weeks ago.

The directions I've gotten were to, "Go about your normal activities."

Which "normal"? My old normal would be an intense weight training session this morning and a 2 mile run tomorrow morning. But the Dr. explicitly told me "no moderate or heavy exertion. Walks are good, but not much more than that."

Do you want my old normal that was causing problems? Or my current normal?

Asked this question on MyChart, and got the same "Go about your normal activities," response.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
7/22/24 2:14 p.m.

Every berkeleying 60 days I have to change my password on my work computer. And every berkeleying time it takes me most of an hour to re-synch everything. Does corporate calculate how much lost productivity that is across its entire organization??

Oh, and this time, it's the week after the giant Crowdstike clusterberkeley. So everything is going to work berkeleying flawlessly. Right?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/22/24 3:56 p.m.

For years my father and I have been going to the Syracuse Nationals, which is a huge 8000-car classic car show held at the NY State Fairgrounds. Last year it changed ownership, and this was the first fully year of the new ownership, which is the local media company. We get there at 8:00am, they put us out in the furthest parking lot and charge us $10 to park. In the 15+ years we've been going, there's never been a parking fee. Normally they run a constant string of shuttle buses from the parking lots to the gates, this year it was a single bus, and so we walked down to the gates, because it was taking too long and pretty much full. At the gates, the tickets went up from $20ea to $30ea. So, already we've gone from $40 to get in the gate to $70 to get in. Minimal automotive vendors, with some big ones missing (Lincoln Welders, Miller Electric, Air Ride Suspension, PPG Paints were all MIA). Minimal food vendors and they all were expensive ($15 for a burger and fries?! berkeley you.) There was at least one building that was open but had literally nothing in it, because it turns out that the club that normally used it was told that it would be $30,000 to rent this year and the club told them to take a hike. Normally there is the Designer's Dozen, which are the best, most radical cars at the show corralled in one spot so they are easy to find. Went to the spot where it was on the map and it wasn't there. Found out after the fact that the new management couldn't come to an agreement with the judges, so the judges wouldn't show up and they didn't have it. About half the huge Expo Center was taken up by the local Nissan dealer. Nothing like going to a classic car show and the nicest building, the centerpiece of the fairgrounds, is full of Nissan Frontiers, Kicks, Pathfinders and Maximas. They also bumped the entry year for vehicles up to 1999, which resulted in a lot of people just driving there in their beater '95 Ford pickup, or stuff like that, and parking out on the lot, which diluted down the cool stuff in attendance. And then, once we left, again, there was still only one shuttle bus and we had to hike half a mile out to our cars after walking around all day. I heard lots of complaints from people who had their cars in the show, including that it was now $70 to enter a car and they did away with discounts if you were bringing multiple cars, and that next year if you're going to camp you have to pay for a 7-day camping pass despite it being a three day show. And the state, in it's infinite wisdom, also yanked down the grandstands and replaced the dirt circle track with camping sites, so now they can no longer do the burnout competitions/tractor pulls/demo derbies/monster truck events that they always had in the evening, meaning it's an entirely static show that wraps up by 4pm. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/22/24 4:01 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I'd be tempted to do a charge back on my card.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/24 6:27 p.m.
Rodan said:

In reply to Toyman! :

All of that is the reason I bit the bullet and bought an assembled center section for my Capri rather than just swapping ring and pinion....  unbox it, and bolt it in.

I have done tons of GM 10 and 12 bolt rears, Danas of various flavors, Ford 7.5 and 8.8s...

I have never set up a 9" to my satisfaction.

When the time came to put together a rear for the Torino from Hell, which already had a 9" but was going to go from a 2.lol open diff to 3.fun and 31 splines and a limited slip... we just called someone up and ordered an assembled pumpkin.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/22/24 8:33 p.m.

To big tooth brush manufacturers "stop pushing us into soft bristles".

I'm not particularly handsome or athletic but I take good care of my hygiene (three cleanings per year, etc.) and I want medium bristles.

Target, Costco, and everyone else keeps having fewer and fewer options for medium bristles.

I love that slickery feeling that comes from frequent cleanings and a reasonably firm bristle;  build it and we will come.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/24 8:49 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

That sounds like Big Toothbrush might actually be yielding to science rather than profitably selling us the means to harm ourselves. I had a dentist tell me probably almost a decade ago that toothbrush manufacturers should not make anything harder than "soft" because it's just excessively abrasive for the job of brushing teeth and it will only accelerate damage to your gums and enamel.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/22/24 9:00 p.m.

Yeah, the first time you need skin grafts on your gums might be the last time you want medium bristles. Maybe. Some of us take more than one painful reminder. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
7/22/24 9:01 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

That sounds like Big Toothbrush might actually be yielding to science rather than profitably selling us the means to harm ourselves. I had a dentist tell me probably almost a decade ago that toothbrush manufacturers should not make anything harder than "soft" because it's just excessively abrasive for the job of brushing teeth and it will only accelerate damage to your gums and enamel.

This is what independent toothbrush told me as well. Better for your gums.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/22/24 10:23 p.m.

Me calling local driveshaft place; how much is estimate to put in new u joints? 1972 Datsun 240Z?

Guy; $30 an end plus u joint cost.  Not sure what type those have. Might not be replaceable.

Me responding - they $10-$25 you think?

Guy; yeah, like ten years ago.......

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
7/22/24 10:25 p.m.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/22/24 11:07 p.m.

I don't see a problem here. Your cost through a huge volume internet discount house is ten bucks plus shipping, cash and carry and best of luck. His cost through a regional distributor who has to stand by their stuff and probably bring it to them in person on a daily basis is higher than that, and he needs to make money on top of that as part of his profit. And the last few years of inflation have been pretty rough.

If you have room for a hydraulic press, it's not too bad a job to do yourself. 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
7/23/24 6:24 a.m.

Almost had a road rage incident last night while driving back from taking #5 out on her birthday date.  Came to a red light rolling slowly, light turns green, I speed up and get over into the right lane (left lane ends in 1/4 mile).  1st car at the light isn't happy about that (I didn't cut him off, he was well behind me), floors it and goes around me, then off into the distance.  Whatever bud.

Another mile down this city street is a traffic light.  Catch him at that light too.  Pull up behind him (closer than I should have in hindsight, but that was to let people turn into another parking lot to the left) and wait for the light.  Light turns green and he sits there...then I see him yelling in his mirror looking directly at me...then he puts it in reverse and backs up a bit.  Back to drive, and he speeds off.  Then I spent the next mile riding behind him before I turned off.  Even then, I expected him to swerve over at me in the turn lane. 

And my wife has the audacity to look at me and act like I'm the crazy one.  All of this was in Mayberry, BTW.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/23/24 7:35 a.m.

Not really a rant, more of an observation.

Raptor style grills are the Me So Angry Jeep grills for Ford people.  They are everywhere!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/23/24 8:17 a.m.
dculberson said:

Yeah, the first time you need skin grafts on your gums might be the last time you want medium bristles. Maybe. Some of us take more than one painful reminder. 

Soft bristles are best, but for the love of Bob, stop making the toothbrush neck so flexible.

I'm perfectly capable of modulating the pressure I put on the [toothbrush] head.  No need to make the brush so flexible that I have to bear down hard just to get the any amount of pressure.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/23/24 8:38 a.m.

I'm perfectly capable of modulating the pressure I put on the head.  

Giggity 

Obligatory rant: i feel like E36 M3. But working anyway. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/23/24 8:50 a.m.

Bathroom is across from my office.

The women that use it spray air freshener when they leave.

Sorry, did I say air freshener?  I meant scented industrial strength, only-meant-for-half-second-sprays cans from uline.

They spray this E36 M3 for a good five seconds and then leave.  Meanwhile I'm choking and getting a migraine

I've confiscated 5 cans already.  They keep getting more.   Im gonna get rude since they havent gotten the hint. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/24 9:26 a.m.
Wxdude10 - Mike said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Putting this here to help everyone:

how-to-fix-crowdstrike-bsods-in-three-minutes-fix-requires-manual-changes-but-they-are-simple

Oh, I'd tracked down the steps to fix the issue within about half an hour of sitting down and would have been quite fine with implementing them- with the minor issue that our computers' drives are (necessarily, I'll concede) encrypted. So despite the fact that I knew exactly how to fix the issue, it took 7 hours before I was able to get through to our IT department and go through the rigmarole (probably somewhat truncated, since everyone was having to do it) of confirming I was who I said I was and to get the key to unlock Bitlocker on my drive to fix the problem.

1 ... 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 ... 2022

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0qbbJgfFwhy1U5mfrBbYPO07vf1QfTTLqsaDn0nvPH7bHw5uvOUwcthXXntGBx0W