1 ... 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 ... 2012
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/24 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

I think I need SaxyHero to put that on a shirt .....

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/13/24 9:53 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Lost my kitty of 17 years last Monday. Still hurts and I am so very sad. I have always gotten right back on the horse and rescued another one but man the pain hurts this time. I know 17 good years is worth a month of pain but still. 

Every loss is different and difficult, I personally waited a year after losing my childhood dog and longer after losing another.

Pain's path isn't always easily figured out 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
8/13/24 10:02 p.m.

Driving from Saskatchewan to B.C. today.

To the guy in the Delica in front of me doing 80 in a 90 zone on a mountain road.  Pull the hell over, the guy in the big half-ton behind you can drive these roads faster. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/14/24 7:20 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Mr_Asa said:
Toyman! said:

They better hurry. The little bastards can eat several pounds of wood per day. 

Yuck. 

I'm paranoid about the damn things. I helped my father treat and repair the house I grew up in. It sucked. 

I also see the houses in my neighborhood with all the siding stripped off the front and termite damage all the way to the roof.

Every year they swarm, I'm going over the house with a fine tooth comb and a flashlight looking for the little bastards. They swarm in the woods behind the house and I just know they will be in the house someday.

Yuck. 

Good luck. I hope they get them taken care of for you. 

Oh man.  Ive told them multiple times about all the frass I've seen.  I am low-key waiting on the floor to collapse under me, then I'll turn everything over to a lawyer.

Moved in two Junes ago, noted frass in the corners, submitted photos with my incoming renter checklist.  8ish months later a guy for the property management company came by, I pointed it out to him and he took pics.  Renewed lease, noted frass.  The swarm recently.

I'm covering myself nicely.  These guys are not.

1 full day of no calls.

Hey! Guess who never called!

12:55 last night, I get woken up by the fan hitting something. 

Sometime later in the night it fell.  I didn't get up to check it, but I opened as much of the door as possible to look at the damage.

Fun fact, due to damage to the fascia and soffit they knew about roughly two months before this, my inside is now connected to the outside!

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/24 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I think this is one of situations where you start withholding rent until everything is fixed, if protecting their investment doesn't motivate them, hopefully freezing their rent payments will

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/24 9:25 a.m.

I'll second stopping rent payments. 

I don't know about where you live but in SC, landlords have 14 days to make repairs that affect safety and health. I think you have a case for both. 

It looks like FL law is similar but gives 7 days. 

Unit Repairs in Florida

According to Florida landlord-tenant laws, the landlord must provide repairs for any damaged appliance or fixture that voids Florida's warranty of habitability, which explains that landlords must give proper maintenance to the rental unit to keep it in safe and fair housing conditions.

In the case of these repairs, the tenant shall notify the landlord about the issue and give them at least seven days to fix it. If the property isn't safe for the tenant, the landlord has to provide the necessary help; otherwise, the tenant may seek legal advice, withhold partial rent, or terminate the lease.

Toyman!
8/14/24 9:27 a.m.

Warranty of Habitability is the key phrase. 

Here are some of the requirements of the warranty:

• Essential utilities

The property must have working plumbing, hot and cold water, electricity, and heating.

• Security

The property must have working and locking doors and windows, and landlords must take reasonable steps to prevent intrusions and criminal activity.

• Pest-free

The property must be free of pests like mice, rats, cockroaches, bedbugs, ants, or termites. Landlords must exterminate infestations as soon as they occur.

• Structural soundness

The property must be structurally sound.

• Building codes

Landlords must comply with local health, building, and safety codes, and make repairs as necessary.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/24 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Lawyer up. Take some of the termites to your landlords office and let them go there.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/14/24 9:43 a.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

I just want this to pass so I can get back to why I took a week of PTO.

Hey, stanger, how's that stone doing?  You feeling OK?

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/14/24 10:23 a.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

I'm not necessarily saying don't withold paying the landlord, but please check your local laws to see if there is a requirement to pay the rent payments to an escrow account in lieu of the landlord. I think some places require this as proof that you aren't witholding payments for some other reason

Duke said:
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

I just want this to pass so I can get back to why I took a week of PTO.

Hey, stanger, how's that stone doing?  You feeling OK?

Duke, I'm feeling much better. The pain started moving around to the front yesterday morning. I'm guessing I passed it sometime last night or early this morning since I don't have any pain at all. The right kidney area is still a little tender but nothing like it was before.

I'm pretty sure the FlowMax I was prescribed helped. It was like opening the flood gates on a dam compared to turning on a garden hose.

I'll be using this experience to make some lifestyle changes. More water and less energy drinks. Healthier meal choices and more physical activity. I need to lose about 40lbs. 

I feel like I got off easy as it was only a 2mm stone. I absolutely don't want to have another one.

Toyman!
8/14/24 2:45 p.m.

Come on people, give us a break. We were just getting caught up. Seriously, 40+ service calls in the past 2 days? I'm about to take the phone off the hook. I appreciate the business but I don't have the manpower to keep up with that workload plus all the other work that is already on the list.

Some of you are just going to have to wait. 

I need to look into adjusting the pricing again and see if I can throttle this some. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/14/24 3:05 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Excellent, glad to hear it. My left side was a little tender for a few days afterwards, but it didn't take too long for that to go away.

Good to see you're on the mend.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/14/24 3:44 p.m.

I noticed today one of those pop-up Halloween stores is already open for business.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/14/24 10:38 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Who plans that early as a buyer? 

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/24 10:49 p.m.

Rant or TIL? You decide.

TIL I'm about done trying to meet any manner of obligation whatsoever. No damn point ever saying yes to any social gathering of any kind, any holiday shindig, anything scheduled or prearranged, any event or location or arrangement of any kind or type, real or imagined, expressed or implied, in perpetuity, that interests me in the slightest, or that I'm expected to attend so as to be a member of the team, or a team player, or even a moderately undisenfranchised associate, whether it involves friends or family, don't matter, so help me dog. Nothing solo, either, because that consumes time better spent in proximity of someone who don't like being alone unless I'm in the same building. No concerts, no shows, no company wingwangs, nothing. It's just gonna result in unavoidable and highly personal interpersonal friction no matter how it's presented, and it ain't worth the fight.

I probably should have ate something tonight. But I kind of don't want to anymore. 

Toyman!
8/14/24 10:56 p.m.

In reply to grover :

I have a friend who is already talking about Christmas decorations. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/15/24 6:49 a.m.

Dear Mazda,

Why are there no tapped holes in the crank timing sprocket on the B8? Seriously.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/24 6:55 a.m.

That sounds like a win to me. Especially since I know Xmas E36 M3 is going to be everywhere within the next 3 weeks. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
8/15/24 9:20 a.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Lifestyle changes to reduce risk is definitely a good thing. People that get stones tend to have a higher likelihood of recurrence due to diet and genetics. 

Since being involved in devices to treat stones, and seeing how they treat them when they are too being to pass, I'm in favor of more water even if it means more trips to the restroom. 

As much as it sucked to pass it that was better than the alternatives. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/15/24 9:30 a.m.

In reply to grover :

I have a friend that on November 1st is already counting down the days until the next Halloween. He loves that holiday.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/15/24 9:50 a.m.

Ooh, I should go check around me.  Halloween is my favorite, although mostly for the candy.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/24 9:56 a.m.
NickD said:

In reply to grover :

I have a friend that on November 1st is already counting down the days until the next Halloween. He loves that holiday.

My girlfriend is that way. She works at a haunted attraction and our house is almost 100% halloween/death themed. She's hitting craft stores on the 5th of July checking to see if they've put out the halloween stuff yet.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/15/24 10:05 a.m.

I am impulsive. I know this. I consciously try to throttle back on bigger stuff. I throttled myself right out of a helluva Miata. Drat, Damn, and Blast! And for good measure sonofabitch!

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/24 12:31 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to grover :

I have a friend who is already talking about Christmas decorations. 

We still have some Christmas decorations up... we have some twinkling snowflakes up in the front window that The Dancer really liked and wanted to keep up for the rest of winter and we've just not bothered to take them down. Might help if I unplugged the Smart Plug from the wall so it didn't turn them on each night so it wasn't quite as obvious that they were still up, but hey- if they're still up anyway, we may as well enjoy them, right? :P

1 ... 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 ... 2012

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c0ZgJeD92AAWKvI7WqzP1hf5S0kNtarz45Vot2FIy1HJT5OnAS51FmsKlJKHopd2