Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/24 12:23 p.m.
preach said:

DMV today. Enough said.

Poor bastard.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/21/24 12:36 p.m.

The templates that we use to create drawings have a bug. The  data fields are pointing at the wrong address. It's been jacked for months now and only one guy has access to fix it on the front end. It's probably a half hour of work to fix the template.

It's a couple of minutes per drawing to fix on the backend. 

It just cost me and a coworker a day and half to manually update a drawing package. People wonder why we are over on time. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/21/24 1:24 p.m.

In reply to tester (Forum Supporter) :

Yep. Always time to work around it, never time to fix it once the right way.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/21/24 2:26 p.m.

Pretty sure the Dumbpala is developing a fuel leak. In the 12 and a half years I've worked for GM, I've never owned a GM product until this one. I'm realizing why.

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
8/21/24 9:28 p.m.

Apparently I bought the wrong TPMS sensors for my 128i.  They switched sensors September 2010 (09/10).  I misread my build date, which is 10/09.  Didn't figure it out until tires were mounted and on the car and the TPMS became quite unhappy.  

So now if I want the light to go out, I've got to dismount the tires and put the right sensors in. And TPMS sensors aren't cheap anymore.  Ugh.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/21/24 9:29 p.m.

Any time I have to spend more than 10 minutes with my brother in law, I feel like I need a drink, a smoke, a toke, and maybe a lobotomy. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/21/24 9:32 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

You're Jeff Spicoli - tasty wave, cool buzz.....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/24 9:57 p.m.

Got a new set of 13" Nokians on super duper extra special closeout because they were 10 years on the shelf and slated to be thrown out.  Well, hey, a man can't have too many tires.

All was well until I went to mount the last one.

I got three 175/70R13s and one 175/65R14.

Glad i found out two days before I have to leave for WV.

On the plus side, one Nokian mounted on an FB RX-7 "cross" wheel weighs about the same as one 13" Black Rocket rally tire by itself, so in this case falling on my face is still moving forward.  And it should actually fit in the spare tire well due to the smaller diameter, so packing the car should be less of a feat of engineering.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/24 12:02 a.m.

I have had to reevaluate how much physical pain I can withstand. It's a lot, apparently. (This would actually be a minor win if it didn't involve, you know, excruciating pain . )

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
8/22/24 1:41 a.m.

berkeleying FB scammer posted pics of one of my cars in a 'part out' post in a FB group.  Pretty sure he lifted the pics from my thread here on GRM.  Scumbag...  At least he got called out immediately.

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/22/24 8:06 a.m.

I continue to be flabbergasted by the amount of people i see accelerate to pass an 18 wheeler from behind, and then slow down to match the speed of the 18 wheeler while right next to it. What the heck? get out of there!

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/24 8:49 a.m.

We leave for a weeklong vacation in a few days. Because we could swing it and knew The Dancer's nephew had never been abroad (or at this point, even on a plane) and there were good deals to be had, we helped pay for her sister and her son (the nephew) to come along as well, so we'll be spending about a week with them on a cruise ship and around Europe (though obviously in different cabins on the ship). Yesterday when talking with her sister on the phone in preparation for them flying down to meet up for the overseas flight, politics came up and the two started arguing about it. I really hope that they can leave that thread alone for the duration of the trip, otherwise it's going to be a miserable week. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/22/24 10:47 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

We leave for a weeklong vacation in a few days. Because we could swing it and knew The Dancer's nephew had never been abroad (or at this point, even on a plane) and there were good deals to be had, we helped pay for her sister and her son (the nephew) to come along as well, so we'll be spending about a week with them on a cruise ship and around Europe (though obviously in different cabins on the ship). Yesterday when talking with her sister on the phone in preparation for them flying down to meet up for the overseas flight, politics came up and the two started arguing about it. I really hope that they can leave that thread alone for the duration of the trip, otherwise it's going to be a miserable week. 

Step up.  Tell them that if either one starts up on politics, you will take your nephew and have a good time wandering the boat with him, after locking the two of them in the other cabin. 

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/22/24 11:55 a.m.

In reply to budget_bandit :

It's aero effects plus cruise control. When cars are trailing a big truck and cruise is set within a perfect band, the speed differential is only 1-2 mph, the car will gain on the truck. The car will continue to be in the aero shadow of truck until it pulls beside it to pass, then it hits the turbulence off the side of the truck plus frontal drag since the truck is no longer punching a big hole in the air for it. The driver needs to give the car more throttle to break through the turbulent drag to make the pass. Cruise control will just let the car just hang there slowly crawling by the truck if the driver doesn't intervene.  This also happens car to car, but it's much less noticeable since cars are similar in size and much shorter so the drag isn't as bad. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/24 12:07 p.m.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
8/22/24 12:44 p.m.
tester (Forum Supporter) said:

It's aero effects plus cruise control. When cars are trailing a big truck and cruise is set within a perfect band, the speed differential is only 1-2 mph, the car will gain on the truck. The car will continue to be in the aero shadow of truck until it pulls beside it to pass, then it hits the turbulence off the side of the truck plus frontal drag since the truck is no longer punching a big hole in the air for it. The driver needs to give the car more throttle to break through the turbulent drag to make the pass. Cruise control will just let the car just hang there slowly crawling by the truck if the driver doesn't intervene.  This also happens car to car, but it's much less noticeable since cars are similar in size and much shorter so the drag isn't as bad. 

Does your CC not speed you up going up hills?  I agree with the effect you're proposing if cruise just held a specific throttle position.

But that is one of my biggest pet peeves on the interstate.  People will do exactly as was described...fly up on the truck, barely pass it, then floor it once they get past the truck.  They must think it is safer to pass slowly instead of just getting it done.  

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
8/22/24 12:53 p.m.

In reply to jmabarone :

yeah if they were using cruise control, they would maintain the same speed.

i'm convinced that maybe 20% of peopel i encounter on the interstate actually use cruise control. I realize that it isn't feasible to use it all the time due to traffic or other conditions, but I encounter so many people who do the 18 wheeler passing thing. The other thing that drives me nuts is when i have my cruise control on, i pass someone, and then they realize "oh i didn't mean to slow down so much" so they accelerate and pass me, only to slow back down when i'm not right next to them. Rinse, repeat

I thought I was done with bullE36 M3 for the year. I woke up yesterday morning to my back on my lower right side absolutely killing me. I thought I had slept weird but it got worse and worse throughout the day despite 800mg of ibuprofen. Last night I had to take one of my hydrocodone left over from my kidney stone just to be able to get to sleep. Now I'm sitting in the local urgent care trying to figure what the hell is wrong now.

I really hope it's not another kidney stone. After I passed the stone last Tuesday, I felt great. I've been drinking water and haven't had a single energy drink. The hydrocodone kinda backed me up but I'm pretty sure that passed. I've also been taking fiber to ensure I'm not backed up. It feels like someone punched me in the right kidney. It's not the same pain as the kidney stone but it's in the same general area.

Can please have a break? Please?​​​

wae
wae UltimaDork
8/22/24 1:36 p.m.

"This activity must be scheduled 48 business hours in advance"

So what the hell is that supposed to mean?  Are you trying to say 6 business days?  2 business days?  48 actual hours?  And what constitutes a business hour?  Do you mean 8-5, so 9 hours for one business day?  What if we have 12-on-12-off shifts?  What if I'm a bank and we're only open for fifteen minutes every third Tuesday except when the moon is ascending into Leo?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/24 2:03 p.m.

Its normal to bleed from your ass, right?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/22/24 2:13 p.m.
Appleseed said:

If you are in a Don Hertzfeldt flick, yes

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/24 2:17 p.m.
Appleseed said:

It is normal for people going to the doctor right away 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/24 3:09 p.m.

It was sarcasm.

Doctor yesterday: Here, put this weak sauce cream on your butt. Sorry Doc, cream ain't fixing this.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/24 5:45 p.m.

Day 2 of migraine.....

berkeley this, berkeley everything 

1 ... 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 ... 2011

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7pe1oae41VwvCXGrLeH03GTAxontFN5a5m3vlpR1Fz23AFAZVTtsNwUdvqvt4wcj