1 ... 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 ... 2009
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/24 12:46 p.m.

Someone really needs to drop a jailbreak for my TV or teach me how to block TV app YouTube ads. This election bullE36 M3 is just ridiculous, and TV app YouTube is only place I see ads of any sort.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
8/30/24 3:11 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I have read that if you use a VPN, select an Albanian IP.  Otherwise, I am listening.

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
8/30/24 3:15 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I'm having a similar issue with spotify.  The number of political ads is maddening.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/30/24 3:32 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

You should set up your Pi Hole

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/s/wZYSMrojBE

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/30/24 3:43 p.m.
Puddy46 said:

In reply to RevRico :

I'm having a similar issue with spotify.  The number of political ads is maddening.

I gave up on free Spotify years ago.  They played an ad literally every other song, and they usually only had 1 or 2 ads in rotation.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/30/24 3:57 p.m.

William Preston Lane Memorial Bridge and the traffic it creates.  I don't even have to cross the silly thing.  And it is Labor Day Weekend on top of that.

It could make for a 1.5  hour ride to go 24 miles.

*sigh*

Maybe I need an ultralight to fly to work.  But I probably would be shot down over Fort Meade.

*sigh*

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/24 4:22 p.m.
Duke said:

I gave up on free Spotify years ago.  They played an ad literally every other song, and they usually only had 1 or 2 ads in rotation.

Same here. I did not know that there was such a thing as Pottery Barn Teen; now that I know, and have filed that useless bit of information deep in the mental round file, I do not need to hear it again.

75% of our TV use runs through an HTPC. It's much nicer to watch YouTube through a privacy-focused internet browser - not naming names, but one rhymes with Shmave - than to use the TV's own YouTube app. Ads almost never make it to us.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/24 5:44 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to RevRico :

You should set up your Pi Hole

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/s/wZYSMrojBE

DNS blockers alone won't get rid of YouTube ads, unfortunately. Those tend to need ad filters in the browser for now.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
8/30/24 6:04 p.m.

Opera GX browser runs YouTube ad-free, BUT you can not log in, but you can copy the video address and watch ad free. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
8/30/24 6:22 p.m.

Due to a temporary cat, my allergies were in full swing last night so I took _a_ Benadryl before bed.  Here we are about 20 hours later and I still can barely keep my eyes open.

Why is this kicking my ass so hard?

DarkMonohue
8/30/24 7:24 p.m.

In reply to wae :

You have my sympathy. I take the stuff more often than I should, to the point that I'm pretty well used to fighting through it, but every so often they'll just lay me out like getting hit with a cartoon frying pan. 

Sorry you have to deal with the cat, too. Cats are a lot like wine or football or mustard to me, in that everybody else seems to absolutely love them, but I really don't care for them. Years ago I got tested for allergies and kept my fingers crossed hoping they'd find I was allergic to cats. No such luck. Both our cats lived to be 21 years old just to spite me.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/24 3:29 p.m.

And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now. Bob Slydell : I beg your pardon? Peter Gibbons : Eight bosses.

Well, everyone seems to think they are my bosses.  Arggh

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/31/24 3:45 p.m.
DjGreggieP said:

Opera GX browser runs YouTube ad-free, BUT you can not log in, but you can copy the video address and watch ad free. 

I've moved over to Firefox and run an ad blocker add on. Since it's not as popular as chrome, Adblock works all the time. And I can be logged into YT. 

I've been stuck in the house since Tuesday evening with pneumonia. My GF decided to foster a dog while I was away on business a few weeks ago without talking to me about it first. She's a sweet dog but chases her cats so anytime the dog is in the house, she is either locked up in our bedroom, in her kennel (which is also in our bedroom), or needs to be on a leash and constantly monitored.

When my GF goes to work, she leaves her out in our bedroom as I'm usually still sleeping because I work swings. The dog usually just curls up on the bed with me and snoozes until I get up, then I put her outside.

But since I've been housebound all week, I've had to play dogsitter. She is perfectly fine outside but the GF doesn't want her outside for long stretches so if I want to lay down, I have to have the dog in the bedroom with me because she is usually doing her school homework after she gets home from work.

She's been grumpy all week due to school, berkeleyery going on at her work and other stuff. And I'm stuck at home taking care of a dog that I didn't want, trying to recover from being the sickest I've ever been while walking on eggshells. I just want to rest and not deal with any of this E36 M3.

I'm starting to think that being miserably single wasn't the worst thing in the world.

BoxheadTim
8/31/24 4:21 p.m.

Finally tried to edit the footage I shot of the old BMW GS I bought a few months ago. For some reason, I've been dreading editing it and in a way it was prescient.

Looks like about a third of the footage I shot on the new-to-me "nice" camera that I bought to replace the 1st 4k camcorder I had been using is corrupted. I occasionally had that issue with the camcorder as well, which is why I bought this NewToMeButUsed camera in the first place. As it had been clearly set up for video by the previous owner I'm now wondering if he ran into the same issue and sold it to a used camera dealer because of that.

I like the camera, but if I'm getting more reliable footage out of my cellphone and a shonky old camcorder, I'm not convinced that this semi-pro body is the way to go.

And now I either get to reshoot an important part of the video or I'll just duct tape together the bits that are usuable. Not 'appy.

BoxheadTim
8/31/24 4:24 p.m.

... and I found two more of the videos that freeze a few minutes in, all shot on this camera.

I think I've just gone from "not 'appy" to "seriously hacked off".

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/31/24 4:58 p.m.

I'm trying to cook, but my focus sucks so much right now it's taking forever. I mean, somehow I'm on GRM, and I picked up the phone for some cooking reason that I cannot remember.

DarkMonohue
8/31/24 5:24 p.m.

Alright, Samsung, what the E36 M3.  I know cellphones aren't designed to last five and a half years, but give a guy a warning before you just decide to brick yourself.

Posted from my effectively immobile device.

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
8/31/24 10:37 p.m.

I am not built for helping people move anymore.  Can't wait for everything to hurt in the morning.  

In reply to Puddy46 :

Yes this is my truck and no I wont help you move.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/1/24 5:06 p.m.

I was not exactly correct in this situation.

I was in the grocery store today and it was busy.

A woman was blocking the whole isle in the produce section from my wife and I, as well as a handicapped guy on one of those electric carts. I asked her (in English) to please let us by 3 times and the guy in the scooter asked at least one time. So after a few moments of waiting, I asked her to move in Spanish, albeit not in the nicest way, yet not mean. No cussing, no raised voice, just not the politest way.

She flipped out. At a loud volume, I was told that she is hispanic but was an American citizen, I replied that I was as well and half Cuban. Yet, I don't block a whole isle in the store. Well she said some not nice things in Spanish and huffed off. This was in front of her kids. The guy in the scooter thanked me for saying something and we moved on.

While at the check out a guy (her [caucasion] husband) starts reading me the riot act about swearing in front of his kids, disrespecting his wife, being a racist, etc. I explained to him, since he was not there at the time, what happened, including that I was not terribly polite but not mean nor disrespectful when I spoke to her in Spanish and that I did not cuss at her. I explained that she was asked 4 times to please move. So he calls me a racist. I then explain to him that that would be pretty hard to do since half of my family immigrated from Cuba a few decades ago. I then mentioned that the only swear words mentioned were from his wife in Spanish.

He left when I told him that we could agree to disagree after my wife politely asked him to leave it alone.

The entitlement of some people to block a whole isle and then pull the racist card immediately bumms me out. The fact that the guy defended his wife, albeit wrong, makes me happy.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/24 5:40 p.m.

Rant:  Last night it rained heavily and soaked all of my stuff, so I slept in my car, which could be a few paragraphs in itself.  (GSL-SE seats in an earlier RX-7 do not make for comfortable sleeping arrangements for a long legged triangular shaped human)

That's not the rant but it made for good video.

Some flies got into the car during the storm.  They were with me all night.

They were with me for my four Sunday rallycross runs.

The rant: I'm still driving home and they are still here.  They're constantly dogfighting and I don't know if I am witness to a frenzied but protracted death battle or evidence that insects can play, but they keep bumping into me.

Have fun moving from WV to Cleveland, you guys.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/2/24 5:55 a.m.

I see a lot of talk about Google Search getting worse. Google Maps is getting worse.

A week ago, in traffic, it told me it had a faster route available, I accepted,  and it told me to get off the freeway through a toll plaza/exit. I assumed we were switching to surface roads, but no, it just had me rejoin the queue half a mile later, skipping forward a few hundred queued cars.

Yesterday, on a freeway off ramp with three turning lanes, one for each choice I could make,  Google insisted I was to go straight into the motel parking lot across the street. Pixel peeping the route line on the screen, it actually wanted me to turn left, but it didn't understand that I was going left until I was halfway across the intersection. Actually, I had two of these.

There's an odd left turning lane that is on the right side of the road here, and Google directs me to it when I'm actually supposed to be continuing straight.

On an interchange here, Google had me lined up to drive off in the right direction, then just had me get off on surface streets. I'm literally on the ramp to switch highways, and it's like "hey, let's just fart around the West Loop at 1 in the morning."

I just received a bill from the local urgent care center for a visit from last week.

The bill is for $136 but the total was $270. Insurance paid half, which isn't necessarily the rant.

No, the rant is because the FNP saw me for about 5 minutes, (mis)guessed my prognosis, and wrote two prescriptions that I never picked up because they were unnecessary. $270 for that. 

My issue was resolved with a $6 bottle of MiraLax. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/3/24 12:12 p.m.

Tunawife and friend went on vacation this week. Leaving today. The van needed to go in for warranty service so I scheduled that for tomorrow. I was planning on dropping it off at night dropoff with a friend once I handled the plethora of kids evening activities.

She calls this morning, "Want me and friend to drop the van off this morning to save you the trip?"

Sure!

She calls a little while later "We dropped off the van, and now friend's car won't start. She thinks it the battery."

Me: "Go get the keys back, use jump box in the van to jump her car."

It wouldn't take a jump, so now I have to add "fix the friends car which is stranded in a dealership parking lot" to my list of things to do.

1 ... 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 ... 2009

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JuymJ1Ln3sYnPWNewOrkPEADiWWDLaegmRnt5ttqp8idYOjiC9DJV1qOmleRafaO