1 ... 2009 2010 2011
eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/17/24 6:21 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Duke said:

Regional rock station is doing an A-Z playlist and I happened to hear Wanted Dead Or Alive.

How did a second-tier hair metal band from New Jersey manage to write a better country song than has come out of the Nashville machine in the last 20 years?

What is so great about it?  It doesn't repeat Certain Buzzwords at random.  And it doesn't name drop any name brands in ANY of the lyrics, how are they supposed to monetize the song?  Popularity or something?

If it came from Nashville it would have to mention dirt roads or blue jeans, preferably both.  And something about what brand motorcycle he rode.  Probably the guitar, too, but the guitar companies don't pay as much.  On second thought, change the lyrics from "steel horse" to "Z71", Chevy probably pays better than Harley or something.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/24 8:45 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Duke said:

Regional rock station is doing an A-Z playlist and I happened to hear Wanted Dead Or Alive.

How did a second-tier hair metal band from New Jersey manage to write a better country song than has come out of the Nashville machine in the last 20 years?

What is so great about it?  It doesn't repeat Certain Buzzwords at random.  And it doesn't name drop any name brands in ANY of the lyrics, how are they supposed to monetize the song?  Popularity or something?

If it came from Nashville it would have to mention dirt roads or blue jeans, preferably both.  And something about what brand motorcycle he rode.  Probably the guitar, too, but the guitar companies don't pay as much.  On second thought, change the lyrics from "steel horse" to "Z71", Chevy probably pays better than Harley or something.

I've always been more partial to Bo Burham's take on it (warning: colorful language):

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/24 10:42 a.m.

My admin is off to Portugal for 2 weeks. 

I'm really happy she has that opportunity and hope she has a blast. 

Unfortunately, that means I get to do her job, answer the damn phones, and try to get my job done in between all of that. 

This is going to suck. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/17/24 4:37 p.m.

"Welcome to Buick, where our entire lineup is just four crossovers. They all look identical, but good news, they're absolutely identically hideous, except for the Envista, which has that coupe roof line to make it exceptionally heinous, and they all have names that are near identical."

Seriously, I'm not gaslighting you, those are four images of four separate models. Encore, Enclave, Envision, and Envista. That grimacing visage about matches my expression when the first of these gruesome foursome rolled off the transporter and into the dealership. This is what the Buick name has been reduced to. We really are living in the worst time line. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/24 4:56 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Buick only exists because of china, where they have a bunch more models that seem to sell pretty well. I don't know why they don't just give up on the US market, tbh

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/24 4:57 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

They aren't building them for you or anyone else who lives in the US. 

80% of their market is Chinese. Anything sold here is just icing. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/17/24 6:56 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to NickD :

Part of their cachet in China is that they are an "America luxury brand".  If they stop selling them here, the sales there would likely drop.

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
9/17/24 7:09 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Toyman! said:

In reply to NickD :

Part of their cachet in China is that they are an "America luxury brand".  If they stop selling them here, the sales there would likely drop.

And we lost Pontiac because of it.  

After contracting pneumonia a couple of weeks ago, I've been on the mend. I finished my course of antibiotics and was slowly starting to feel better.

Until today.

I woke up feeling like death warmed over. Tiredness, body aches and now 101.8°F fever. This cough which has getting better, is now getting worse.

I think there is some fungal growth in the house somewhere that is making me sick. A week before I contracted pneumonia, we had a large rain event. Water was on the carpeted(!) floor of the utility closet and was squishing up between the laminated floor boards in the laundry room. It dried out in two days but I suspect something is growing.

I've made an appointment for a local mold remediation company to come out tomorrow and take samples and check the indoor air quality for spores.

I'm already in about $5k of medical debt from the last bout. And that's with insurance.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/18/24 1:03 a.m.

Finally watched the last Grand Tour, it was great.

Now I'm annoyed it's over

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
9/18/24 1:20 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick : 

Carry-on is a pain.

Wallet, keys and passport are carry-on. Wear slip-on shoes and a belt that comes off easy.

If my luggage is lost I have a credit card in my wallet. You'll find that their travel insurance can be quite good and they have better lawyers than the airline. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/18/24 9:28 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I think one and three look similar, but the other two are easily distinguishable. The grill, it's 1000% better than any Toyota product. Not great, not particularly offensive.

But it's funny you posted this at about the same time I drove past the Mazda dealer in town thinking, wow they finally have a lot full of vehicles, yet they have nothing. They had a lot full of what looked to me to be one model of a generic looking SUV, and nothing else.

I wonder if this will be considered the modern malaise era?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/24 4:02 p.m.

A good reason to do things as early as possible in the morning that you might not have thought of is that it gives you less time to receive bad news that makes it hard to hide your depression and saps your willpower to do anything.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
9/18/24 4:12 p.m.

Pulled into the shop because my tire light was on. There are three houses being built on my street, so I wanted to check for nails too. 
So they balanced the tires, and shipped it. 

Light is still on. Two tires are 5lbs low. I guess if you want something done right....

Currently sitting in the doc-in-a-box. The FNP listened to my lungs for a long time and she thinks my pneumonia is coming back. They are ordering a chest X-ray.

I don't wanna be on this ride anymore. Can I get off please 😞

budget_bandit
budget_bandit Reader
9/18/24 5:11 p.m.

The apartment that I have lived in for 2 years (and been a model tenant, if I say so myself) will lease it to a brand new tenant for almost $500 less than they will let me renew my lease for. Apparently a corporate policy to be complete scumbags to current tenants.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

Yep, confirmed pneumonia. Now I get to pay for a bunch of prescriptions and a nebulizer.

It's funny how once you turn 40, your body just kinda goes "BERK YOU" 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/24 6:05 p.m.
NickD said:

"Welcome to Buick, where our entire lineup is just four crossovers. They all look identical, but good news, they're absolutely identically hideous, except for the Envista, which has that coupe roof line to make it exceptionally heinous, and they all have names that are near identical."

Seriously, I'm not gaslighting you, those are four images of four separate models. Encore, Enclave, Envision, and Envista. That grimacing visage about matches my expression when the first of these gruesome foursome rolled off the transporter and into the dealership. This is what the Buick name has been reduced to. We really are living in the worst time line. 

Look at the 1977 Buick Regal and Century.  Identical except for a marginally different fascia.

They did it again in the late 90s ish, where they were (as far as I can tell) identical except for badging.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/24 6:06 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Toyman! said:

In reply to NickD :

The rest is because some historical monarch preferred Buicks for his royal transportation, so Buick is a special name there.

Same for Rolls Royce and Daimler in England.  Not Daimler-Benz, the English manufacturer Daimler.

R-R at least has the advantage that England still has its monarchy.  I can't explain China.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/18/24 7:47 p.m.

So far today's death toll is 1 truck radiator,  a water heater,  a skylight,  fiberglass resin roller, duster detail job and possibly passenger seat, and a fender on my tow dolly. 

I'm afraid to touch my dick.

1 ... 2009 2010 2011

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vNO2HX5GlXFq32imaJl10uS2WOpnlMzC4b67s6ZhxxxBPfI4egm11N1Zut5dVG5M