1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 2016
fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/26/12 11:56 a.m.

Who thought a heel spur could feel like walking w/ a eight penny nail driven up through the heel of your berkeleying boot

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/26/12 1:01 p.m.

FU Epocrates and your damn clinical update. Day #2 and it still hasn't downloaded fully or properly.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
11/26/12 1:24 p.m.

You wanna know how to make this unit more efficient? Send [my co-worker] to a general computer and excel class. Seriously. This is just brutal.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
11/26/12 1:33 p.m.

Also, learn how to use google. Thank you.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/26/12 1:47 p.m.

need... more... energy....

gonna...... fall....... aslllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

corytate
corytate Dork
11/26/12 9:25 p.m.

what is it with me getting cars with floor pan rust holes?!
lol
glad I decided to go ahead and yank all the carpet from mister two today so I know about it at least.
Also, if there's a puddle of oil under the car (car hasn't been started) within ten minutes, chances are it's not gonna work out too good. lol
I guess we'll be pricing out a swap=/

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/26/12 10:07 p.m.

Why do I eat spicy food all day long when I know it will wait to give me heartburn right before bedtime. Im an idiot

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/27/12 5:49 a.m.

Hey, F-150 guys! Love the bright fog-driving lights, but on a clear night on the highway with a load of crap in the back, please turn them off.

Thank you,

My Retinas.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/12 2:08 p.m.

Dear boss,

Thank you for buying me the new software that's required to do my job. The Windows 95 machine in the corner running the old DOS program really needed to go. Unfortunately, what you bought only works on 32 bit Windows XP or earlier and we all have 64 bit Windows 7 machines, required by all the cloud computing stuff the states want. Unless you want me to partition the drive, buy and install a 32-bit WinXP program, and then sit through 21 floppy discs to install this beast (seriously man, 21 berking FLOPPIES!!?!?!?!), I suggest you buy something, uh, "better"? Or maybe at least a 32bWinXP machine to replace Ole Clunky. We'll call it New Clunky.

Thanks,

Worker

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/12 2:11 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Dear boss, Thank you for buying me the new software that's required to do my job. The Windows 95 machine in the corner running the old DOS program really needed to go. Unfortunately, what you bought only works on 32 bit Windows XP or earlier and we all have 64 bit Windows 7 machines, required by all the cloud computing stuff the states want. Unless you want me to partition the drive, buy and install a 32-bit WinXP program, and then sit through 21 floppy discs to install this beast (seriously man, 21 berking FLOPPIES!!?!?!?!), I suggest you buy something, uh, "better"? Or maybe at least a 32bWinXP machine to replace Ole Clunky. We'll call it New Clunky. Thanks, Worker

Can you run Microsoft Virtual PC on the Win7 machine? You won't get away from the floppy issue though. That could be as simple as copying all of the data from the floppies to a single folder and then running the install from there.

Hard to believe that you can still buy software on floppy's, that's just sad and very worthy of the rant.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
11/30/12 2:30 p.m.

The fact that to use iOSx I have to pay double or triple a similarly hardwared machine.

Yes I know what a hackintosh is. Why can't apple just put out a budget box??? $599 for a mini isn't budget when a $199 Lenovo will kill it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/12 2:37 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Virtual PC may work...

But 21 floppies.

They actually mailed a USB floppy drive with the software!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/30/12 2:38 p.m.

Dear "sales" guy:

If you don't have an SOW, the job is never finished because it never really started. If the job is never finished - neither of us gets paid. I don't like working for free so you can pretend to have a pipeline. berkeley you.

11/30/12 2:44 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to turboswede: Virtual PC may work... But 21 floppies. They actually mailed a USB floppy drive with the software!

I think it might be time to look for a new software vendor or atleast make so much fun of this one for being asshats that they figure out how to package 25MB so you can download it. It is seriously less data than almost any page in the Hilarious GIF thread. I am angry just reading that there is still a company that is making money off E36 M3 they haven't updated since '92.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/30/12 3:16 p.m.

I paid $700 for a software package that - and keep in mind I bought it this year - does not work in 64-bit Windows. It also came with a USB security key ("dongle") so that it won't run in a virtual PC since it needs access to the hardware. So what does the vendor provide? A patch to disable the check for the dongle. Oh geez that's hilarious. No, wait, I mean terrible. This software is a joke and the butt of that joke is me and the multi-dozen-kilobuck access control system that it's meant to program. I seriously prefer the DOS based programming software that will at least run under Dosbox. (Yes, using a freeware app to run programming software for the big-buck access control system, it's great.) But I did get the latest version working under a WinXP virtual machine running under Win7 64-bit, but that means I have to babysit my user on that machine, having gifted him with twice the potential trouble spots. Grr.

There's something about high-$$ software vendors that makes them comfortable with shipping really crappy software. This is not my only exposure to it, just the latest and highest cost one.

11/30/12 3:23 p.m.
dculberson wrote: There's something about high-$$ software vendors that makes them comfortable with shipping really crappy software. This is not my only exposure to it, just the latest and highest cost one.

That "thing" is that they bought it from a real software company a long time ago, let all the engineers go, and now have no berkeleying idea how to build or support it to move it into the 21st century so they pay russians or indians to hack it to the barest possible minimum w/o berkeleying it up too bad to keep the money coming w/o any investment whatsoever.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/12 3:38 p.m.

Dear Summerville Police Department,

Thank you for that unbelievably inept display of traffic control this afternoon, at Summerville High School. The only time I have ever seen 4 people berkeley traffic up that bad, was the 4 car pile up on the interstate, during rush hour. Does your department select traffic control officers by lack of IQ, or do you just dress a couple of apes up in uniform? In the future, I strongly recommend that you contact the local 1st grade class for officers. A class of 6yos couldn't do much worse and there is a fair chance they could do better. Your people reminded me of 4 monster piles of E36 M3 in the bottom of a toilet, they sure did an awesome job of stopped things up.

Here's a couple of hints for you.

When there is a traffic light at either end of the area you are trying to direct, you really need to work with them or station additional officers at the lights. When you tell traffic to go just as the light 200 yards away tells traffic to stop you end up with the cluster berkeley we had today. Telling traffic to stop just as the light turns green doesn't help much either. Once you have through traffic backed up half a mile past both lights, things just go down hill even faster.

Another thing you might try, don't dump all the traffic from a 4000 student high school onto a two lane road in under 2 minutes. They just won't fit, no matter how hard you blow your whistle and wave you hands. Maybe if you stomped your feet, but probably not. Try letting 50 cars out at a time rather than all of them plus the 50+ school buses. It won't take that much longer for you to empty the parking lot and it sure will make the through traffic flow better.

Police radios. I know you have them, I saw them on you belts. Try using them. At least then you could coordinate with each other. I know it's a lot to ask, but try it. It will help.

Traffic control. I'm reasonably certain there is a class for it somewhere. I strongly recommend it.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/30/12 3:40 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
dculberson wrote: There's something about high-$$ software vendors that makes them comfortable with shipping really crappy software. This is not my only exposure to it, just the latest and highest cost one.
That "thing" is that they bought it from a real software company a long time ago, let all the engineers go, and now have no berkeleying idea how to build or support it to move it into the 21st century so they pay russians or indians to hack it to the barest possible minimum w/o berkeleying it up too bad to keep the money coming w/o any investment whatsoever.

That is the case some times, but other times it's that they had some group (probably the pay per project Indian programmers) update their Win3.1 software and then did no actual testing before rolling it out to customers as an "upgrade" and then had no people on staff to support or bugfix the software. Frankly I'm shocked they came up with the dongle fix patch.

This particular package doesn't distinguish between AM and PM in reports. It displays AM and PM okay, but if you sort events by time it mixes them all up, treating 12:01:00AM as having happened after 12:00:00PM. Yay.

At least "export to CSV" works now, whereas the old version had an export button that didn't work. When I contacted tech support they told me that it "didn't work because it never worked." And it remained that way for eight years or so.

Grrrrrrrr.

Seriously if I sat down and put my mind to it I could write a software package for this thing from scratch - all it does is update a text file and encode it right to upload it via serial (well, serial traffic that's port captured to ethernet) to the security panel. But I would probably spend $30,000 in time to do it, and never be able to sell it to anyone. At least I would feel fulfilled, right? RIGHT?? Okay, maybe not.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
11/30/12 4:58 p.m.
BenB wrote: Teenage daughters & perimenopausal wife. Just shoot me now.

Shoot them. Solves all your problems!

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
11/30/12 5:12 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Hey, F-150 guys! Love the bright fog-driving lights, but on a clear night on the highway with a load of crap in the back, please turn them off. Thank you, My Retinas.

AMEN to that.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
11/30/12 7:09 p.m.

Rollin' double wide.

Tired of this E36 M3. If the isle is 2.5 people wide, I'm NOT diving out of the way so you and your boyfriend/girlfriend /children/dog/grandma/elephant/rocket sled can go down the isle side by side. I WILL, however, let you bump into me. You WILL revive a free scowl and/or hip check, though.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
12/1/12 1:11 a.m.

berkeleying aw11 fuel pump.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
12/1/12 1:48 a.m.

berkeleying drunk frat bros wont shut the berkeley up at 2:45 in the berkeleying morning, I'm getting my signal horn out next.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
12/1/12 1:59 a.m.

INberkeleyINGSOMNIA

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/1/12 3:29 a.m.
Grizz wrote: INberkeleyINGSOMNIA

4:30 here, still awake.

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners