1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 2016
HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
1/23/13 9:18 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: Is there a standard for "overpricing" your craigslist ad so once they haggle you down to 75% of your asking price, you got what you wanted anyway? If I'm asking $1200 obo, and you ask me how low I can do, and I say $1000, that's as low as I can do. Not $800. Not $900. $1000, or berkeley off. I'm already taking a loss at $1200. Maybe I just need to ask for more money to start with.

Really depends. If somebody KNOWS what the value of something is, they will only pay "$X". If somebody isn't keenly aware of the value, then you can set your price to whatever you want.

Having said that, typically, if your price isn't out of line, there is always a buyer that NEEDS what you have to sell. In this day and age, most people can at least look on Kijiji/Craigslist. They see what you have, and it is what they need. The price is reasonable (maybe $100 higher than they want to pay) so they buy it.

But, in the end, there is only one way to not get lowballs/too low of offers. State a firm price. For smaller items, I typically do a firm price, anything over $1k usually I am trying to earn money on it so there is some wiggling room.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
1/23/13 10:07 a.m.

berkeleying cold (sickness, not temperature) coming on the Wednesday before I'm supposed to have people in from out of town on Friday.

Tahoe
Tahoe New Reader
1/23/13 10:22 a.m.

So SPEED is going away from cars and racing shows. Really! I thought they already had. SPEED has been a joke way too long and so has FOX Network. Speed has so few shows I want to even concider watching these days, and ESPN basically covers Football, Basketball, and Baseball. Sure they throw in a few other things but for the most part it isn't Everything SPorts Network anymore. Throw in FOX's news which isn't news anymore but political affirmation TV and my conclusion is FOX is not relevant to my needs anymore. Here is the news about SPEED:

The live coverage of the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction that many in the collector-car community look forward to every January may be coming to an end, at least in its current form on SPEED TV. It’s an open secret in the broadcast cable industry that Fox Sports, which owns SPEED, plans to transition the auto- and motorsports-focused network into a new all-sports channel, tentatively called Fox Sports 1, possibly by the end of this summer.

Industry sources view the plan as a bid to change SPEED, which reaches 81 million households, into a direct competitor to ESPN. Fox Sports has been showing sports marketing executives a video outlining the new channel’s content, built around existing Fox rights agreements with the NFL, Major League Baseball, NASCAR, NCAA basketball and football, and the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

We reached out to Fox Sports executives to comment on their plans and received no reply to our email inquiries. However, we did receive some interesting information from Sports Business Daily, which, like Hemmings, is a unit of American City Business Journals, based in Charlotte. Last month, SBD reporter Tripp Mickle filed a story on the uncertainty faced by racing organizations, including the World of Outlaws, Lucas Oil Off Road Racing and AMA Pro Flat Track, about their immediate broadcast future. Mickle’s story quoted NHRA president Tom Compton as predicting that smaller or grassroots racing may end up being squeezed out by bigger players like NASCAR. Lucas Oil bought its own cable channel, MavTV, last year, but so far, it’s only in 6 million homes.

Where the changes may leave Barrett-Jackson remains to be seen – Barrett-Jackson declined to comment on the topic. However, it’s worth pointing out that television coverage has become a vital factor in Barrett-Jackson’s success over the last decade (indeed, Mecum has adopted the strategy by airing its auctions on the Velocity channel), so we don’t see Barrett-Jackson foregoing television coverage any time soon.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
1/27/13 8:55 a.m.

Don't try to clean up a liquid with a broom. Its not going to work and when the first broom doesn't work, don't use the other broom. You will get the same poor result. Not to mention kind of ruin the brooms and make them wet so when I go to use them, I get orange juice on my floor. And my floor is still dirty!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/27/13 9:06 a.m.

Velocity Channel is now the Tree Hugger Channel.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
1/27/13 9:08 a.m.
fritzsch wrote: Don't try to clean up a liquid with a broom. Its not going to work and when the first broom doesn't work, don't use the other broom. You will get the same poor result. Not to mention kind of ruin the brooms and make them wet so when I go to use them, I get orange juice on my floor. And my floor is still dirty!

Brings back a story from the days of working in a grocery store.

A customer drops a 2L bottle of Coke on the floor, it breaks and goes everywhere. Tell new employee, Jason (aka Princess), mop it up. He goes away, mops it up, and then comes back and says "The floor is still kinda sticky, should I put some water in the bucket?"

I think that was the same night that he hurt himself by running full steam into a door.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
1/27/13 9:10 a.m.
thestig99 wrote:
fritzsch wrote: Don't try to clean up a liquid with a broom. Its not going to work and when the first broom doesn't work, don't use the other broom. You will get the same poor result. Not to mention kind of ruin the brooms and make them wet so when I go to use them, I get orange juice on my floor. And my floor is still dirty!
Brings back a story from the days of working in a grocery store. A customer drops a 2L bottle of Coke on the floor, it breaks and goes everywhere. Tell new employee, Jason (aka Princess), mop it up. He goes away, mops it up, and then comes back and says "The floor is still kinda sticky, should I put some water in the bucket?" I think that was the same night that he hurt himself by running full steam into a door.

ya can't fix stoopid

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/27/13 2:39 p.m.

Did you know that Saginaw power steering pumps will shear off the shaft where it splines into the pump bits if you are hooning and give it throttle at full lock? Neat failure mode, it looks like everything is ok, except your 3500lb barge no longer has power steering. Then you pull the belt off and the pump shaft slides right into your hand, at least it makes removing the pulley easy.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
1/27/13 3:04 p.m.

and Speed hurried off the air from the Rolex 24 to.... off road trucks

C'mon man

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/13 9:27 p.m.

Cancer sucks. Lost my mom 5 yrs ago to it tonight.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
1/28/13 9:51 a.m.

Part I:

Saturday night, Dear Daughter #1 informs me that the brake warning light on her 2002 Impreza has been flickering on and off for the last few days.

Sunday morning I do some Sunday morning stuff, and after lunch she comes down to help me look at the car... and informs me she has somewhere to go at 4:00.

Gee, thanks, if I had know that, I would have started earlier and gotten your butt out of bed to help me before 1 pm.

Part II:

Of all the jobs I'm willing to tackle at home, drum brakes has to be my least favorite. And I always seem to have to do them on winter afternoons when it's cold and starts getting dark at an unreasonably early hour.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/28/13 2:26 p.m.

It has been above 50 degrees and sunny with a light breeze all day today. I'm stuck inside until two hours before dark.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
1/28/13 2:33 p.m.

Part III:

I had to run the space heater in the garage to get the Manic Miata to start, so I could get it out of the garage to work on the Subie. I let it run for 20 minutes or so to get solidly up to temperature. After the Subie was done I tried to put the Miata back in the garage, and it wouldn't start again. So it's parked on the street and it snowed overnight, followed by freezing rain.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
1/28/13 5:20 p.m.

Everyone who types and/or talks like this, I hate them.

Guy in my car club said: Bell sport more chip. Arai I like but soh expenseep.

I blame the internet and would like to give a special mention to Reddit, 4chan, ragecomics, imgur, and memes.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/28/13 9:02 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: Everyone who types and/or talks like this, I hate them.

Man, ain't nobody got time fo' 'dat!

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
1/28/13 9:53 p.m.

Why do I get the feeling that registering for frickin' school is gonna be harder than actually taking the class?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
1/29/13 8:18 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: It not timing. Its never timing. People still come here and say, "I think the timing is off." In any vehicle built since the early 70's, if the timing is off, it means one of two things- either there has been some sort of mechanical failure in the cam drive or distributor advance mechanism, or somebody has been fooling with it. I'm sorry. I should have out this in the "rants" thread.

BTDT. What is it that people find so difficult about troubleshooting?

You asked why your bike isn't running right after watering it out in that enduro, and spent a week, and three pages on the forum trying to figure out why your jetting changes didn't fix it. When you finally gave up and took it to the bike shop, he charged you $100 to replace the plug wire that I (the only professional mechanic that bothered to answer) told you it was on page one.

Listen to me when I tell you. IT'S NEVER JETTING. Jetting doesn't change on it's own.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
1/29/13 8:22 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
fritzsch wrote: Everyone who types and/or talks like this, I hate them.
Man, ain't nobody got time fo' 'dat!

I try to avoid those folks at the autocrosses. They annoy me to no end.

Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
1/29/13 8:36 a.m.
Tahoe wrote: So SPEED is going away from cars and racing shows. Really! I thought they already had. SPEED has been a joke way too long and so has FOX Network.

Just like MTV!!!

Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
1/29/13 8:36 a.m.
Tahoe wrote: So SPEED is going away from cars and racing shows. Really! I thought they already had. SPEED has been a joke way too long and so has FOX Network.

Just like MTV!!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/29/13 11:51 a.m.

Quickbooks, you berkelying suck. Go to hell you bastids! It shouldn't take 20 minutes to fix a mistake that was a 3 second to make mistake. Then I am STILL trying to get the proper check numbers to match the checks I have on hand so I don't have to destroy those bastard printer checks the government and no bank account having worthless employees have forced upon us to use....

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/29/13 12:10 p.m.

Just took my mom to the Dr for a skin problem. She had a benign growth removed a few years ago, so it was something to look into.

The Dr prescribed a $700 creme and didn't tell her the price, we got the sticker shock at the pharmacy. Like it was no big deal, everyone has $700 freaking dollars laying around extra.

kylini
kylini New Reader
1/29/13 4:40 p.m.

Just got not one, but two mailings from GRM asking me to extend both my own and my gift subscription. I've only gotten one friggin' issue! Why are you bugging me already instead of, say, November?

It seriously frosts me that I'm already receiving spam less than 30 days after paying for both subscriptions. I love this community and I love the magazine, but I'm not paying for this crap.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
1/29/13 6:45 p.m.

god I hate Job Applications!
Why must I take a "Hartman Value Assesment" in order to be a Tech at your Toyota Dealership?
How about we skip that and get a face to face interview where you can learn about me face to face, instead of through a skewed questionnaire with idiotic statements?
How are you supposed to place "A Baby" and "A pile of trash/a rubbish heap" in a ranking from most positive to most negative?
I don't like or want kids, should I put "A Baby" all the way at the bottom?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
1/29/13 7:22 p.m.
corytate wrote: I don't like or want kids, should I put "A Baby" all the way at the bottom?

You want to work at a dealership, they already know that you hate yourself, so they just want to clarify if you hate the rest of humanity or not

1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 2016

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PcoTjqlT9Ds4QVeVrl3fVYYFEIXbjBzjmuiyidCImuS0qkRG6OixSwtw9cy33QoY