1 ... 499 500 501 502 503 ... 2012
dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/22/16 7:29 a.m.

Insurance sucks for young folk! My insurance now on three cars and two motorcycles is $89/mo. My truck is $200/year through Hagerty. I was bent over a barrel for so long and never made any claims. Sheesh.

A note of caution: Hagerty as far as I know doesn't offer any regular insurance; all their policies are collector insurance so you have to have another car for regular driving.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/22/16 8:35 a.m.

Yeah, that's the other part of Hagerty that might not be a good fit for me.

I'll probably end up sticking with travelers. They've been ok so far, though I haven't had any claims. When I put in quotes online for other places for the current fleet the prices were almost double...

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/22/16 8:51 a.m.

Have you tried State Farm? That's who I'm with and like I said the prices are reasonable but I'm older (40) with a good driving record (somehow).

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/22/16 8:58 a.m.

If you just want to keep them legal, could be worth trying the general. I've been with them 2 years now(this time), and at 29 with a clean record and liability only, they're still half the price of everyone else. Paying all at once is 450/year for the miata, monthly it adds up to 600/year. But my credit sucks so that doesn't help my prices much.

Although it wasn't long ago when I was with progressive that it cost me less per month for the miata and Tahoe together than for either individually, that was also on the west coast.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
7/22/16 9:16 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to Nick (picaso) Comstock: Stop looking for that black 88 IROC Z. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I don't even know what I'm looking for. I just know I'm not going to find out around here. Unless I want a worn out truck or a $35K muscle car.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/16 9:33 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686:

Last I shopped, Progressive was BY FAR the cheapest, although I really hope to never make a claim with them because their customer service kinda sucks. I'm at about $100/month for the Camaro and Cherokee, and $200/year for the bike. Camaro is the only one with full coverage, but I pay for pretty big liability limits, un/underinsured motorist coverage, full tort, ect. And that's with a number of tickets on my record (although none within the last few years, knock on wood.)

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
7/22/16 9:39 a.m.

I'm reading the tea leaves here at my FT job, and think that we're about to be brushed outta here.

On the plus side, the company sucks anyway and I've got a PT job that I can probably hustle a few more hours out of a week to make ends meet.

Still putting out apps everywhere and hoping to land a government gig.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/22/16 9:56 a.m.

Shop State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, Progressive, and Geico. You're probably going to find the lowest rates with one of them.

I'd also find an independent agent that has Erie and ask for quotes from him, from more than Erie. For us, State Farm was by far the lowest.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 10:55 a.m.

I like the heat.. I can work in the heat... I can't work on my boat in the heat because the epoxy sets up too quickly :(

I am going to have to start getting up at the ass crack of dawn if I am ever going to get her in the water next year

AWSX1686
7/22/16 11:08 a.m.

There is a local insurance company that is who I went to before and they shop around for me. I just haven't had them check this out yet since I haven't sold any of the current vehicles yet, and I'm still more than a month from getting the truck.

AWSX1686
7/22/16 11:08 a.m.

Also, (rant) don't you just hate it when you forget what you were just about to do?

dropstep
dropstep Dork
7/22/16 1:12 p.m.

Its over 90 in ohio, idiots in diesels still think they should let it idle in the parking lot while they wait for an oil change.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/22/16 1:47 p.m.

Weaving drivers who also have road rage are dumb. Had a guy cut me off while I was in line passing, and I honked.

So he brake checked me three times. And later thought it was a good idea to try to drive me off the road later.

All the while losing the precious time he was weaving and speeding for.

How dumb can you be?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 1:53 p.m.

say one today that almost made me call 911. Was a Nissan Maxima with EVERY panel a different colour. The doors did not even match, nor did the rear spoiler, the headliner was falling down, the taillights were TAPED on with clear packing tape and part of the front bumper was missing.

The driver was on the phone, leaning against the door as she drove, her child was in a baby seat in the back, and the car had -NO- brake lights what-so-ever

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 2:05 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Weaving drivers who also have road rage are dumb. Had a guy cut me off while I was in line passing, and I honked. So he brake checked me three times. And later thought it was a good idea to try to drive me off the road later. All the while losing the precious time he was weaving and speeding for. How dumb can you be?

2 words.

Dash Camera.

They are cheap enough, you can't afford to not have one.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 2:21 p.m.

2 hours until cutoff. Still not funded...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/22/16 2:36 p.m.

My big, fat, stupid cousin, is in fact big, fat, and stupid. She treats the Maury Povich show like it is an instructional video. Christ!

Javelin
7/22/16 3:35 p.m.

An hour until cutoff and nobody will answer their phone or email let alone get back to me. Guess I'm not moving?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Yep, you don't get to line up moving stuff until you officially get the keys.

Your fault for jumping the gun, regardless of their incompetence, its their show and they'll run it how they see fit and you're just a spectator.

Try to relax and go have fun with the kids, it will get sorted eventually, but having a stroke over something you can't control is silly.

Besides the weather is supposed to be crap this weekend and who wants to move in the rain?

Javelin
7/22/16 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce):

We have the keys dude...

Javelin
7/22/16 4:06 p.m.

Just squeaked that one in boys, 31 minutes before cutoff... Escrow recorded already, just waiting for the county to acknowledge.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 6:25 p.m.

I spent 30 minutes chasing what I though was a bad fuel pump or relay.

Might should have checked to see if it had fuel in the tank first.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 6:54 p.m.

So apparently I chose the day where it was 90 in the shop and 130 in the parking lot to drive the black car with no A/C and immobile windows.

I got the windows working, anyway. Drove with the sunroof off for the first time in maybe ten years. I could almost hear the Reign in Blood album over the exhaust...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/22/16 6:57 p.m.

Now all the subaru needs is a new axle and another wheel bearing. I should have ignored it and worked on the Saab instead.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 7:04 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I spent 30 minutes chasing what I though was a bad fuel pump or relay. Might should have checked to see if it had fuel in the tank first.

We spent a weekend in a truck stop in Dunn NC with an empty tank when I was a kid. We left Myrtle Beach and it quit on 95. My dad coasted up the ramp and called for help. There was no one to look at it that night and the gauge said it was half full. The next day a guy looked at it and said it was probably the pump. He towed the Suburban and camper back to his shop and had five guys stand under the half full tank to catch it. It was bone dry.

1 ... 499 500 501 502 503 ... 2012

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sbouDzHcLQ4OxQ9rgElKl4z3ObdLd0G0JAGwfBcPWQnKivNxaCsqibb25XyuDlLO