1 ... 500 501 502 503 504 ... 2012
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/16 7:34 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Now all the subaru needs is a new axle and another wheel bearing. I should have ignored it and worked on the Saab instead.

How the berk did you manage that?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
7/22/16 7:44 p.m.
Wall-e wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: I spent 30 minutes chasing what I though was a bad fuel pump or relay. Might should have checked to see if it had fuel in the tank first.
We spent a weekend in a truck stop in Dunn NC with an empty tank when I was a kid. We left Myrtle Beach and it quit on 95. My dad coasted up the ramp and called for help. There was no one to look at it that night and the gauge said it was half full. The next day a guy looked at it and said it was probably the pump. He towed the Suburban and camper back to his shop and had five guys stand under the half full tank to catch it. It was bone dry.

Last summer my gauge apparently got stuck on 1/2 tank and I ran the suburban dry. Which was enough to burn it up as well

$400 to have a new one installed was a lesson to not do that again.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/22/16 7:48 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
EvanB wrote: Now all the subaru needs is a new axle and another wheel bearing. I should have ignored it and worked on the Saab instead.
How the berk did you manage that?

Damaged the bearing while pressing the hub in then somehow stripped the threads on the axle.

The lessons that cost money are usually the most effective.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/22/16 8:40 p.m.

Due to the heat some wires burned up shutting down 1600 homes around me. Three hours later it's getting hot in the house.

First world problems.....

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
7/22/16 9:11 p.m.

Inlaws are coming (not the rant, they are nice and one of them is a Korean cuisine chef! Score!) so that means after one of the hottest, busiest, longest-hours work week of my life, I only have tonight to get anything done outside and around the house. Too bad it's like 90 with visible-haze levels of humidity, and I'm installing shelves near the roof of my non air conditioned garage. Opening the door doesn't work, because that just lets in more stagnant wet air, but with it comes the dog-sized Midwestern mosquitos. Sure, I could just stay in the house, but that's crazy talk!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/16 2:03 a.m.

apparently I have a redirect on my android phone. It keeps sending me to apps from the "Go dev team".

Now I have to find the app that is doing it

Knurled
7/23/16 2:36 p.m.

Reasearching for what is probably going to be the most annoying engine swap ever.

I'm going to be putting an LS1 engine... into a 4th-gen Camaro.

This should be easy. Apparently it is not. Part of me wants to say screw it, treat it like an SBC swap and use engine mount adaptors. It sounds like this is not possible, however.

At least the wiring portion of the swap should be fairly straightforward. But jeez, GM made the chassis different when they went to LS1.

mad_machine
7/24/16 12:49 a.m.

My father and my sister are the kind of people that get up before dawn and hit the day running.. only to crash and burn around 8pm. As part of their personality.. they are a "gotta get it down NOW!" kinda people.

I am much more laid back, prone to being up till 2am and getting up at 10 (unless I need to work) and taking things one day at a time.

7am, I get a call from my father (who is still in the hospital) asking me to go over to his house and empty the bucket his central air drips into to.

So I go over before work.. only to discover that both my grandmother and my father's girlfriend got the same call and we are tripping over each other... thanks day for making me go way out of my way to take care of something they already did. And he wonders why I rarely answer his texts

Knurled
7/24/16 3:37 p.m.

Finally get out of the house to go get RX-7 parts and maybe head down to Columbus to get work done on the rearend. Halfway to garage, realize that I forgot my wallet. Turn around, go home, get wallet, turn around, go to garage. Load car. Take off.

Car starts running hot on the highway. Hot wind is also blowing up my legs from the steering column. And then it starts raining. RX-7 is sketchy as hell in the rain, and my glasses are starting to fog up despite driving with both windows open. Turn around, go back to garage, play musical cars, take off again. More time wasted.

Starting to fall asleep while driving. Fark this, I'm going back home. Volvo's dragging ass from parts in the trunk and back seat, I don't care, I want to get home before I fall asleep for real, so no hour detour to my garage to unload everything again.

Home. Wide awake now.

NickD
NickD Dork
7/24/16 4:34 p.m.

C/SP PAX. 'Nuff said. But I'll elaborate, was 16 seconds faster than a Novice H/Street car on raw times and still lost to him by 0.5 seconds on PAX.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
7/24/16 4:41 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: My father and my sister are the kind of people that get up before dawn and hit the day running.. only to crash and burn around 8pm. As part of their personality.. they are a "gotta get it down NOW!" kinda people.

Know the type well but they are/were co-workers. Usually we just let 'em go to knock themselves out but when ya gotta work with them it makes for a miserable work day. When mgmt. allots 8 hrs for a PM these guys were like... hey, lets get this job done and run back for another one. They both worked for contractors who apparently best we can figure got beat on by their bosses. We work by the hour and get the work done in time, bosses approve. If I ever hear 'I can't help it, I just gotta stay busy, that's the way I am' I'm gonna walk away.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/24/16 11:58 p.m.

Dear wife: the light switches can also be used to turn the lights off. No, it doesn't cost much on the electric bill, but it all adds up.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
7/25/16 12:00 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

You sound so old

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/25/16 12:01 a.m.
mtn wrote: Dear wife: the light switches can also be used to turn the lights off. No, it doesn't cost much on the electric bill, but it all adds up.

Good luck with that.

Next, you can try to explain to her how the thermostat works.

mad_machine
7/25/16 12:02 a.m.
fasted58 wrote:
mad_machine wrote: My father and my sister are the kind of people that get up before dawn and hit the day running.. only to crash and burn around 8pm. As part of their personality.. they are a "gotta get it down NOW!" kinda people.
Know the type well but they are/were co-workers. Usually we just let 'em go to knock themselves out but when ya gotta work with them it makes for a miserable work day. When mgmt. allots 8 hrs for a PM these guys were like... hey, lets get this job done and run back for another one. They both worked for contractors who apparently best we can figure got beat on by their bosses. We work by the hour and get the work done in time, bosses approve. If I ever hear 'I can't help it, I just gotta stay busy, that's the way I am' I'm gonna walk away.

the only trouble I have found with "gotta get it down done NOW!" people is that they will rush a job and do a E36 M3ty job of it just to get it done. Let me work at my pace to get it done right and nobody will have to spend even more time to redo it

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
7/25/16 4:23 a.m.

I want off 2016's wild ride.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
7/25/16 6:50 a.m.
mtn wrote: Dear wife: the light switches can also be used to turn the lights off. No, it doesn't cost much on the electric bill, but it all adds up.

Dear wife

Every TV in the house does not need to be on to create "noise".

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/25/16 6:59 a.m.

I have more E36 M3 to do than hours in the week.

And my dad reminded me of a couple more via text this morning.

Damn....

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/25/16 8:03 a.m.

Day 1 at Myrtle Beach.

I'm sunburnt and I hate this beach.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/16 8:05 a.m.

Today's rant: internet car wisdom.

This weekend's task was to get the slip yoke eliminator installed in my Cherokee so that it is actually driveable again. Internet "wisdom" initially told me that I shouldn't even need the slip yoke eliminator in the first place at 3" of lift, but reality proved that not to be the case.

So Saturday I set out in the 98 degree heat for the junkyard in search of a front driveshaft from a 93-95 5.2 Grand Cherokee, because that is the longest commonly found Jeep shaft with the right style yoke on both ends. Internet "wisdom" says that I NEED this style shaft with the shorter manual tranny in my XJ, rather than the much more commonly found front shaft off an automatic XJ with NP231 transfer case, which would be too short. Scoured the whole yard looking for the right GC to pull the shaft from, almost gave up and got an auto XJ shaft instead, and then finally located a suitable donor on my second lap through. Score!

So yesterday I set about installing the slip yoke eliminator and $45 worth of new u joints on the JY shaft. Measured everything out so that I would have a proper amount of engagement with the remaining splines and checked that I had enough travel both in and out on the slip joint of the driveshaft. Everything checked out perfectly! And then I went to flip the shims between the leaf springs and axle around to point the pinion up parallel to the shaft and bottomed the slip joint out

Shaft is too long, the automatic XJ shaft would have worked perfectly. Now I get to go back to the damn junk yard this weekend to pull another shaft. Hopefully I can at least reuse the u joints.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/25/16 8:05 a.m.

Ranger: You can come up to albemarle NC and have lunch at a good local BBQ joint....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/25/16 9:47 a.m.

Death sucks. Death within a year of retiring sucks really bad.

So a reminder to those of you who have bucket items. Do them.

It won't kill you to stretch your resources, but you won't do them if you do die before getting to them.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/16 10:16 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Due to the heat some wires burned up shutting down 1600 homes around me. Three hours later it's getting hot in the house. First world problems.....

Around here if it's getting hot in the house and there's nothing you can do about it, that's just a normal morning for a non-rich person

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/26/16 8:32 a.m.

I couldn't sleep last night, as usual, so I was watching crappy horror movies and saw something that rather surprised and disturbed me. A very obviously underage girl, very much topless and uncensored. In a mainstream released movie. Not having Facebook, I made a comment on Twitter to Netflix about having their censors double check the movie. What do I get in reply? Hardcore idiots, for lack of a better word, complaining I'm "sexualizing" children. No Bitch, I'm reporting something very blatantly illegal and wondering how no one has done the same. Hell, wondering how the scene, which was rather important to the movie, made it through the editing room as is. Seems minors missing clothes is something that would get left on the cutting room floor.

I get that it wasn't sexual in nature and the scene actually was important to the movie, but from my understanding of the law, that is a very big no no even without the moral arguments against it. And it wouldn't have been anything at all to pan the camera up, strategically place tape, or add more bubbles to the bath tub. She was about to get drowned after all, absolutely no need for nudity in a murder scene. Teenage me sat through thousands of murder scenes in movies hoping for nudity and never getting it, so I know it can be done and done well. Yet I'm being perceived as a shiny happy person for trying to point it out? People are seriously berked in the head these days.

Now watch me wind up in trouble somehow for pointing out something very illegal that never should have seen the light of day, let alone be readily available on netflix of all things.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/26/16 9:01 a.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Yeah, dude. Just like creeps that say, " DUDE, she's 18!!!!"

That's still gross. That's a kid. Not attractive. At. All. I get that its legall. But that is a kid.

1 ... 500 501 502 503 504 ... 2012

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nc7W5ndpfrWCD3NNmYk0CtYXCcafuKPzuDvK9JGjE99g1nEuwwex2jmB48QEiZIl