1 ... 507 508 509 510 511 ... 2012
HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
8/6/16 6:23 p.m.

Ugh! I hate getting tetanus shots. The last one I got was after a MTN bike accident and the pain lasted longer than most of the bruises.

I got another yesterday. It felt fine until I woke up from a cat nap a few minutes ago. Now it feels like I was kicked in the arm by a horse. I have been kicked by a horse more than once, so I know what I'm talking about.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/16 8:10 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote:
Wall-e wrote: When did spitting on people become acceptable? I just finished another incident report for a driver that was spat upon. My second this week.
Bouncers for busses? Surely there is a healthy pool of candidates of muscles heads at the local gyms who want to get paid to look impressive while they do their isometric exercises..... Spit on a driver, lose some teeth. Simple math that would bring back some polite interactions between citizenry.

I would not go quite that far.. but I think the bus stopping right then and there and big burly guy "asking" the offending party to get off the bus right now might work...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/6/16 8:30 p.m.

Seriously woman, I'm berkeleying killing myself with three jobs right now. Get off your berkeleying ass and do some E36 M3 around the berkeleying house while our daughter is other places.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/6/16 9:32 p.m.

Brother-in-law texts me saying he won't be a my son's birthday party tomorrow because he's "on" during the afternoon. Here I'm thinking he finally got a job, so hooray, that is an acceptable excuse. I ask my wife where her brother is working now. He's not, apparently he's part of an online gaming group. He's "on" for their game.

I told my wife her brother can go berkeley himself.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
8/6/16 10:54 p.m.

What a E36 M3 day. Got asked to work overtime, get up early, drive 50 minutes, the people didn't prepare like they were supposed to. Job cancelled. Could have used that extra money. Now my wife fell down the stairs, sitting in the er. We will be here a while.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
8/7/16 12:16 p.m.

Ollies are really difficult.

(Learning to skateboard.)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/7/16 2:20 p.m.

I've now spent twice what I paid for my generic GoPro for suction cup mounts and they all suck. Either I'm too dumb to use suction cups correctly, or they quit making good mounts, I swear. And yes, I wipe cleaned the car, and spit on the suction cup to make it wet for a good seal.

The first one, since I couldn't find a GoPro brand, was a box labeled action camera accessory kit at best buy. The suction cup actually stayed on the car all but one time, but it can't hold a camera level to save it's life with the craptastic plastic everything. I might set it at a good angle for a side mount and JB weld the joints into place. It Held on through quite a bit of angry backroads driving mounted on the trunk, and only fell off when I had it on the side of the car, where there is a curve on the panel I guess.

So back to Worst Buy, and actually found a GoPro brand suction cup mount. For as much of a pain in the ass as it was to put on, you'd think it could take a hard launch, but NOPE. First hard launch the camera went flying off the back of the car. Luckily someone grabbed it for me, and waited for me to circle around to pick it up.

I'm trying to figure out before autocross the best place to put it for video, and make sure that it can actually stay there. Well I like it being mounted on the trunk, but it sure doesn't want to stay there. It could be because my paint still needs wet sanded and polished, but I'm seriously considering screwing the base to the trunk lid. Or running a ratchet strap around the trunk lid and using one of the strap mounts I have then figuring out a way to make it stay in one spot.

Why does it have to be so damn difficult just to make some decent videos? Why can't suction cups actually stick? And why the berk are basic suction cup mounts hiding behind dog, gun, helmet, kite, snake, etc. mounts? seems a basic thing should be front and center for ease of shopping, but thats only my logic.

I might actually upload the fall videos just because, if I do, I'll link them in my build thread. Quality doesn't suck for a $40 camera though, much closer to 1080P than my dashcam is, I'll give it that. And I'm also very impressed with the case, barely a scratch.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
8/7/16 2:42 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

For autocrossing in a Miata, mounting the camera on the trunk lid gives a good view of the driver but not great of the course. I prefer mounting it on the upper edge of the windshield for track view.

My related rant: I used one of the double stick mounted bases just that way in my Miata, only to discover that the wipers don't like that spot.

RevRico
8/7/16 3:13 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I prefer mounting it on the upper edge of the windshield for track view. My related rant: I used one of the double stick mounted bases just that way in my Miata, only to discover that the wipers don't like that spot.

Thank you for that. I just did a run up and down my street with it there. I like that even better than off the drivers side. I just like the trunk mount for when other people drive my car there. I'm not watching replays at the track, but it's good to see where they were looking, when they shifted, etc. At least I'm pretending it's helping me learn to be a better driver.

Also, I may just take my passenger wiper blade off when I run, I tested it, and the bigass suction base was very much in the way.

Bonus rant: It's supposed to storm all next weekend. First event since june. We were dry for test n tune, and one event, the event my alternator died on my second lap of the first day, and no one could get me a replacement till monday. I'm not a happy boy about this, I'd just like a good hot day to run autox, hot pavement hot tires, no chance of flooding my car or needing to wear wet clothes all day.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/16 3:48 p.m.

I mounted mine on the tow hook/license plate mount on my 944 Turbo and inside the windshield on the rear mirror stalk.

On my 924 I had a harness bar behind the front seats that I never used for harnesses, but it works great for a camera mount.

I didn't bother with suction mounts as I knew they were liable to come loose and figured I'd build a simple mount for the head rest/seat, etc.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/8/16 7:54 a.m.

makes a mess, but maybe try a little bit of Vaseline on the suction cup? Just to help maintain the seal for the suction.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/16 9:09 a.m.

I don't wet the suction cup at all, I just keep mine clean (although the rubber does seem to be "sweating" out some of that plastic goo). I have rear glass to put mine on though.

mad_machine
8/8/16 9:28 a.m.

I had no luck with the gopro suction cups either. Mine fell off the first time I used the camera and I imagine there are still bits and pieces of it on the NY thruway

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/16 9:43 a.m.

You guys are pushing in the center button and then moving the lever to retract the cup when you put yours on, right? Mine stays stuck to my windshield in offroad rallies.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
8/8/16 10:15 a.m.

Contractors who do kitchen work. Why do you slap new flooring on top of old flooring, stop at the front of the dishwasher, and never check that the dishwasher can be removed? They don't last forever. They have to be removed occasionally for certain types of service. Your laziness screws homeowners over big time.

RevRico
8/8/16 11:37 a.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: I mounted mine on the tow hook/license plate mount on my 944 Turbo and inside the windshield on the rear mirror stalk. On my 924 I had a harness bar behind the front seats that I never used for harnesses, but it works great for a camera mount. I didn't bother with suction mounts as I knew they were liable to come loose and figured I'd build a simple mount for the head rest/seat, etc.

Rewatching some footage, the GoPro on the windshield isn't much better than the dashcam, just bigger video. I still have the bars hanging off my towhooks from my makeshift light bar that never went back on after paint though, so I'll have to try down there.

I guess the goal is just to have a few different angles of video to get creative with. I might go dig up a bigass magnet or something to mount on the side of the car if the towhook situation doesn't work out.

Briefly had the thought of making a PVC roll bar of sorts to mount it to, but mounting the PVC to the car would turn into another issue. Guess this could have been a thread in itself.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/8/16 11:59 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: After a month of working here I've found 5 places I can buy live eels out of barrels on the sidewalk and not a single place I can get a Diet Pepsi. I guess I should have developed an eel addiction.

That's because Diet Pepsi is the Miracle Whip of sodas - unacceptable for human consumption. They're really just saving you from yourself.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/8/16 12:08 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: You guys are pushing in the center button and then moving the lever to retract the cup when you put yours on, right? Mine stays stuck to my windshield in offroad rallies.

Yeah, this. My GoPro-branded suction cup mount has taken cone hits right on the kisser without coming off the car, when I had it mounted low on the quarter panel. I've never had an issue with the suction cup mount at all. You could probably use it to pull dents out.

RevRico
8/8/16 12:33 p.m.

I had to send some money over PayPal this morning. This is the first time I've sent money through them in probably 6 years. How are they still in business? 3 weeks to transfer money from me to the seller? I could WALK the money to Indiana in less time than that.

Let's look at some facts, and I'll leave the crazy stuff like the fractional reserve banking bullE36 M3 at home.

I make a deposit in the bank. That cash immediately becomes 1s and 0s. That's it, nothing more nothing less. Paypal is a DIGITAL service that just moves 1s and 0s around, and takes ridiculous fees for the privilege. They also leave a really nice window to dispute fraud. After 6 weeks, and for another small fee. So if you're ripped off, you forget about it before you can get a refund, and you get to pay for the privilege. Or say I give someone whom I know, like a forum member, the wrong paypal address, he's out the money because he can't dispute or cancel the payment, and I'm out the money because I'm also a forum member and know people who've been here longer than me are trustworthy so I send the item out anyway and we both end up forgetting about it by the time it can be disputed.

Google Wallet, which I've finally started using, is IMMEDIATE. Punch in a phone number or email address and BOOM money is sent. As digital currency transfer should be. There are fraud implications, as there is no way to file for a return or refund, and you have a short window after transferring to cancel. Flawless? no. If you give someone the wrong email address or they type it in wrong, it's gone forever.

WHy is PayPal even still a thing, with all of their bizarre rules and pointless fees when it takes LONGER to send money through them than it would to mail a check, send a money order, hell, send out carrier pigeons? Is there really any reason to use them, particularly for domestic transactions? It sure doesn't look like it anymore.

We need to break this old habit, which is really the only reason I see people still using it. We've been using it since eBay gave a E36 M3 about the sellers(seriously, eBay HATES it's sellers), just because they decide to put their name everywhere.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/8/16 12:43 p.m.

PayPal is instant if you have a credit card saved for them to use as a backup.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/8/16 12:51 p.m.
RevRico wrote:
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: I mounted mine on the tow hook/license plate mount on my 944 Turbo and inside the windshield on the rear mirror stalk. On my 924 I had a harness bar behind the front seats that I never used for harnesses, but it works great for a camera mount. I didn't bother with suction mounts as I knew they were liable to come loose and figured I'd build a simple mount for the head rest/seat, etc.
Rewatching some footage, the GoPro on the windshield isn't much better than the dashcam, just bigger video. I still have the bars hanging off my towhooks from my makeshift light bar that never went back on after paint though, so I'll have to try down there. I guess the goal is just to have a few different angles of video to get creative with. I might go dig up a bigass magnet or something to mount on the side of the car if the towhook situation doesn't work out. Briefly had the thought of making a PVC roll bar of sorts to mount it to, but mounting the PVC to the car would turn into another issue. Guess this could have been a thread in itself.

Alright, here's my input. I have a 97 miata, and 2 GoPros and here's what I used for my autocross video earlier in the year.

In Car:

97 has the seat belt brace running behind the seats. I used the GoPro (Actually it was some off brand.) handlebar mount and a couple of the little adapter extensions. It is a little bit of a tight squeeze, but it will fit on the seatbelt bar. Next time I will probably add another extension or two for a little more height as it is hard to see the track as low as I had it. (Hmm, I should upload video someday.)

Out of car: (This one is my favorite.)

GoPro Tripod Mount I used the quick release one. This and a 1/4" screw and there is a hole right in the middle of the mouth in the front of the miata perfect for this application. Just find the right length screw, or add washers till you can get it snug. With the quick release I even just leave it there and I can putthe GoPro on in 2 seconds whenever I want. This video angle is really cool. It makes everything look alitle faster as is is very low to the ground, and you can hear the engine just fine even though I had it in the waterproof case as it rained all day.

mad_machine
8/8/16 4:02 p.m.

because I tend to ditch all birthday parties (I try to arrange it so I am either out of the area or working) My father pulled a sneaky last month and held a birthday party for me 4 months early. I was not exactly a happy camper, but I put on a good face.

The main present was from most of my family, they pooled their monies and got me a nice Nikon digital that works to 100feet below the water (good for when I dive). I finally got around to playing with it.. and I want to toss the thing into the nearest trashcan.

you cannot just simply hook the thing to your computer to get the pics off. If you plug in the USB cord to the computer, it shuts down and goes into charging mode. According to the manual, you have to use wifi to hook into your phone or tablet. (or I guess a laptop). All well and fine, but that adds a step or two into getting the pictures off of the phone.

I then put the pics from my tablet to photobucket.. and photobucket wants to drop those pics into a "mobile media" file instead of the file I would use for them. To add insult to injury, I cannot use my table to move the pics from the mobile media to the regular file, I need to use a regular computer.

How is this progress and easier?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
8/8/16 4:40 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Might there be a "USB mass storage" box you need to tick deep inside some setup menu?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/8/16 4:52 p.m.

Waited all day for beer time but after having a tooth filled after work I'm still numb and drooling beer outta the side of my mouth. Won't stop beer time tho, just ain't pretty.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/8/16 5:34 p.m.

Walking out to my car after work, I notice a large puddle underneath. "Huh," i think to myself, "didnt think it was supposed to rain today." Then I notice the production supervisor's truck parked next to mine is completely dry underneath. (Minor sub-rant: said production supervisor has a landscape trailer backed into the building that he is welding something, possibly a crane/hoist thing that the company bought for a project and never used, to his trailer. This irritates me because we are unfortunately very strict about working on personal projects on company equipment, even off the clock (which he probably isn't), yet this arrogant little sawed off prick manages to get away with just about anything.)

A quick dab and sniff of the puddle confirms my suspicions: the smell of manky old coolant was unmistakeable. berkeley. Fortunately, I just so happened to have a half gallon of distilled water handy. I had noticed a minor drip from the water pump during the lift install (which I stupidly decided to ignore, hoping it would go away or at least hold off replacement until after we close on the house) and had topped off the coolant at that time, then dumped the remainder in this afternoon. Given the substantial size of the puddle,i figure I better stop at the grocery store a block over and pick up a few more gallons just in case.

Good thing, because by the time I made it the ten miles from the store to the gas station it had lost maybe 1/3 gallon and was just pissing coolant while I filled up at the pump. By the time I made it home, with another stop to top off along the way, I had dumped in the entire second gallon, in addition to the initial half gallon.

I'm riding the Bandit tomorrow. At least I know for sure it won't greet me with a big puddle of coolant at the end of the day

1 ... 507 508 509 510 511 ... 2012

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xuePlTvsMIF33jHXlw3uQKYb7Fmvou1Cwr9bANTgyQXnFFuk0qv63PPuOIWhwGZp