1 ... 524 525 526 527 528 ... 2010
Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/7/16 11:16 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Same old E36 M3 different day. Or, give it to him. He'll make it work while we do jack berkeleying E36 M3. I need a break.

Sounds like my wife's job. She somehow got elected to handle all of her building's computer problems because she "knows computers". She's a biologist. She's never had an ounce of computer training. She just figured out, you know, how to actually use the tools everybody with an indoor job uses every berking day. Of course, this is unofficial, and in addition to her full time real duties. And it's in a Fortune 500 company that has an IT department.

But I guess not being a moron makes you an expert somehow. At least to lazy morons it does.

NickD
NickD Dork
9/7/16 1:10 p.m.

I'm stopped to turn left into my driveway with my 3500 duallie, and some genius on a Harley decides that that is the perfect time to pass me on the left. Then after I nearly splatter him across the front of the truck he gives me the finger as he rides off. Nice. Just to be sure, I even checked and all my lights are working on the truck.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
9/7/16 1:16 p.m.
java230 wrote: Is it so hard to hire someone?! You respond to an add, we talk on the phone, settle on an hourly rate, you say you can come to work the next day, NO SHOW, 4 times in the last week and a half!!!! REALLY?!?!

We had a guy come in for a walk through and final paperwork. Boss asked if he was ready for his drug test. He left to get a phone number amd never came back.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/7/16 1:54 p.m.

Rant from the weekend:

Doing brake pads and rotors all around on the new SAAB. (Got the parts for a good deal, that's a win.) But Why? Why? Why is Aamost every single bolt was a stinking torx (like huge, T60) or inverse torx, also huge (E20 I think) Fortunately I have friends with the proper tools...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/7/16 2:07 p.m.

Really busy at work. That is fine. Trying to juggle work with closing on a house. That is a pain. And the jitters about closing tomorrow. That is jittery.

I guess that was kinda ranty? I'm just feelin' jittery. Ya know?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/16 2:15 p.m.
AWSX1686 wrote: Rant from the weekend: Doing brake pads and rotors all around on the new SAAB. (Got the parts for a good deal, that's a win.) But Why? Why? Why is Aamost every single bolt was a stinking torx (like huge, T60) or inverse torx, also huge (E20 I think) Fortunately I have friends with the proper tools...

Torx are great once you get used to them. Go get a good set, you are going to need them with a Saab.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
9/7/16 2:17 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

We had a boss that would tell guys we have a drug test - he'd ask if they were okay with that. Then he'd say that was the drug test. There really was a drug test though.

Once two Stoney buddies failed after they worked a week and the boss asked me what to do. Let them go?

mad_machine
9/7/16 2:17 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Same old E36 M3 different day. Or, give it to him. He'll make it work while we do jack berkeleying E36 M3. I need a break.
Sounds like my wife's job. She somehow got elected to handle all of her building's computer problems because she "knows computers". She's a biologist. She's never had an ounce of computer training. She just figured out, you know, how to actually use the tools everybody with an indoor job uses every berking day. Of course, this is unofficial, and in addition to her full time real duties. And it's in a Fortune 500 company that *has* an IT department. But I guess not being a moron makes you an expert somehow. At least to lazy morons it does.

I know the feeling. I am getting very tired of doing everyone else's job at work.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
9/7/16 2:51 p.m.

Im getting very over living in a construction site. Lack of walls, dust everywhere, and general discomfort is wearing thin.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
9/7/16 3:51 p.m.

I've worked in QA for most of my professional life, and spent a lot of time having my concerns ignored until after the product was out in the field and customers were complaining about the same bad design decisions I had complained about months before. I moved to the product department 3.5 years ago, thinking my voice might be heard better. Nope, same damn thing happens, only now I have to interact with more people. As much of a hell QA can be, I'd rather be back there, but there are no open positions in the company's closest office, and I'd rather not go job hunting, as overall, I like the company I work for.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/16 3:56 p.m.
mtn wrote: Really busy at work. That is fine. Trying to juggle work with closing on a house. That is a pain. And the jitters about closing tomorrow. That is jittery. I guess that was kinda ranty? I'm just feelin' jittery. Ya know?

Why yes, yes I do! I was all wired the day before and morning of closing, then once things got under way it was all good and just exciting. After that I've been too busy cleaning, moving, fixing stuff, running to Home Depot, painting, ect. to be anything but just tired once I'm done.

Kick back, drink a beer, and try to relax. And congrats, btw!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/7/16 6:14 p.m.

damn animals. Had close to enough grapes a week ago to make a decent batch of wine. Come back from a weekend away, and most of it is gone. Even with netting and other protections.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/16 6:44 p.m.
dropstep wrote:
java230 wrote: Is it so hard to hire someone?! You respond to an add, we talk on the phone, settle on an hourly rate, you say you can come to work the next day, NO SHOW, 4 times in the last week and a half!!!! REALLY?!?!
We had a guy come in for a walk through and final paperwork. Boss asked if he was ready for his drug test. He left to get a phone number amd never came back.

We aren't the greatest place to work but we pay very well for a job that has few requirements to be hired. Two things that will end your career quickly are failing a drug test or not reporting on time. Neither of these were a problem until the last few years. People think we are kidding when we say we test regularly and if you are late we will give your run away.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/16 8:48 p.m.

I probably should have checked the version of OpenSSH server before assuming it would support ed25519 keys, fighting with ed25519 keys, reading FAQs and man pages. Oh Debian, and your backporting ways.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/7/16 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Mike:

You should try ed209 keys. They fit everything.

Wall-e
9/8/16 7:19 a.m.

Just because you don't like an answer doesn't mean it's wrong and taking my picture and emailing it to the company with a message about what a bad person I am isn't going change anything.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/8/16 7:32 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: Just because you don't like an answer doesn't mean it's wrong and taking my picture and emailing it to the company with a message about what a bad person I am isn't going change anything.

You look like all the other megacorporation Buy-N-Large's WALL-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth-Class). If they don't like how you clean up their trash and stack it look like a giant city made of trash, they can go pick it up themselves.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
9/8/16 8:35 a.m.

I got an extended test drive of a '16 FiST over the Labor Day weekend and fell in love with the damn thing.

The rant?

I "could" afford it now, but it'd make a lot more sense financially in two years.

Being an adult with car ADD is hard sometimes.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
9/8/16 8:48 a.m.

How come everytime I'm on the ferry to Martha's Vineyard, and hear a car alarm it is always a BMW with CT, or NJ plates? Shut the berkeley up car alarm I'm trying to take a nap in my van!! It seems BMW has a really lame sound for their car alarm, and the lights flashing randomly seems awesome as well. You don't need to set your alarm people, we're on a berkeleying boat, where is the thief going to take your precious non-working directional tiny-penis machine!

It's been a long summer!

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/16 2:01 p.m.

People who have absolutely zero knowledge of any value to contribute need to stop trying to micro manage and stay the berkeley out of my project. Yes, we had a minor goof up this week but it was easily fixed and we're still ahead of schedule. All you're doing is wasting my time trying to explain E36 M3 to you that you're never going to understand.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/8/16 2:33 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: How come everytime I'm on the ferry to Martha's Vineyard, and hear a car alarm it is always a BMW with CT, or NJ plates?

Is there any semi-modern technological device more berking useless than car alarms in general? Do they do anything except piss people off (if factory installed) or piss people off and completely FUBAR the wiring harness (if aftermarket)? Has a car alarm ever prevented a theft, ever?

Seriously, when is the last time that anybody heard a car alarm and thought "I should see if that person's car is OK and maybe call the cops"?

mad_machine
9/8/16 2:41 p.m.

I like the one on my Rover.. it works as intended, if you try to force the door with it locked, it goes off. Same with the hood. Other than that, all it has is a simple flashing light. No false alarms, no motion detected idiocy.. just a simple alarm that never goes off and if it does, I sleep 50 feet away from it

Wall-e
9/8/16 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

In the 90s when I was towing and everyone has an alarm because theft was still big I could probably count on one hand the number of times anyone questioned my during a tow away or repo because an alarm was going off. That was also one of the benefits of using a big white truck with the company name all over it and a uniform. People just assume the neighbor had car trouble and ignore you unlike the kids trying to be sneaky in black pickups.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/8/16 6:24 p.m.

I'm now a homeowner. Yay!!!

I have no idea where I packed my router and modem. Where the hell could it be?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/9/16 7:38 a.m.
mtn wrote: I'm now a homeowner. Yay!!! I have no idea where I packed my router and modem. Where the hell could it be?

Wait a couple of months.its will find its way to your new home.

Ask me how I know.

1 ... 524 525 526 527 528 ... 2010

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oijRkYbBqkmyG2IMEOWjV8pKeq0MhpM7ReQTYkjsf2cISv1nGGoQXbtZjo5MPVvA